Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

HELP! Driver's door won't open, 98 explorer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:35 PM
darinkexplorer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! Driver's door won't open, 98 explorer

I need help. My girlfriend has a 98 Ford Explorer sport. The driver's door will not unlock, thus we can't get it open. The key, remote entry fob, and the inside unlock switch will not unlock the door. I saw on another site that it is possibly the linkage or a rod or something. I have a feeling I can repair it if I can get the door open and the door panel off. Problem is, I can't find a way to open the door. We even tried to pull the door lock stem (or whatever you call it) up, but it will not move. The local ford dealership wants 300 dollars to fix it. I am tired of my girlfriend having to enter the vehicle from the passenger's side and then climb over the armrest to drive. I'm thinking about just ripping into the door panel from the inside without opening the door, but then I'll have to get a new door panel. I don't want to do this. Anybody run into this before or have any ideas? Thanks for any help/advice.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:55 AM
98txexplorer
Senior User
when you say the key wont open the door, is the key able to turn and it wont open or will the key not turn at all? reason why i ask, my key sometimes wont turn when i try to unlock manually, i have to wiggle it a few times and work it left and right. about a yr ago i took the tumbler out to check why it wouldnt open and what i found was the casing was binding causing the pins in the key way to stick, i sprayed a bunch of lithium grease into the keyway and while in a vise inserted the key and turned it left and right. worked out pretty good, every now and then i spray some lithium grease into the keyway to keep everything moving. anyway, the lock should move up manually with the way i've described below and what your problem is is the lock acuator, mine when out about a yr ago, had to get it from ford for about $65(i think). the acuator is rivited(just one) to the door just below the latch. i just replaced the rivit with a sheet metal bolt a nut and lock washer. its a fairly easy do it yourself, just follow the rod that is attached to the door lock down to the acuator remove the screws that hold the latch disconnect the harnesses from all the connectors, knock the rivit out and your good to go. well i hope this helps.....good luck

drill with a very fine drill bit on top of the lock **** then screw a small enough screw into the ****, then you can try to pull the lock up that way.

Last edited by 98txexplorer; 02-24-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:28 AM
stu4now
Senior User
[i]
drill with a very fine drill bit on top of the lock **** then screw a small enough screw into the ****, then you can try to pull the lock up that way. [/B]
Believe it or not I once uced a straw from Mc Donalds to open a door with the anti theft *****.......It was a Crown Vic but Im sure you could find one to fit! It sounds like the linkage might be binding so you might have to take off the d/panel somehow (dont know how you'll have room with the door closed) Good luck!

Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
darinkexplorer
New User
98txExplorer, thanks for the info. No the key doesn't turn all the way. I'll try some grease in there and work it around as best I can. Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:06 AM
98txexplorer
Senior User
they sell some at autozone in an aerosol can with a thin straw so you can spay in tight places....