2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:29 PM
gabz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a Brake Controller

Just a word to the wise if you expect to tow and will need a brake controller in the cab of the truck. You need to get inventive or you're gonna have that sucker right where your "driving" leg goes - which makes it hard to see and harder to get to to adjust or apply manual braking to the trailer. And, if you get in an accident, that controller is gonna make a mess out of your leg.

I got the XLT with captains chairs - shift on the column. that leaves the dash area fully enclosed to the floor. I had the shop put the controller into the bottom "junk" slot (under the drink/ashtray). The controller sticks out a little, but at least I'm not knocking it (mal-adjusting it) with my leg and I can get at it in a hurry. The shop drilled a small hole in the plastic and routed the wiring through there, to the plug.

Anyone who needs a brake controller and is thinking of getting their shifter on the console, might want to think about it a little bit. I don't know what the dash looks like for bench seats and it might be a problem there too, if the "dash" comes down to the floor like it does for the captains chair interiors.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Caddy 53
Senior User

Cool brake control

gabz:
Glad to hear about your idea to mount controller. I also have XLT W/ cap.chairs. I been wondering the best location. What do you know about the blk plastic tha goes from ashtray to floor. How much junk behind it? Any suggestion on how to route the wires?
I have thought of using a HUMP mount for CB radio and mounting the controller to the side or somthing ???
MAYBE the new models look pretty but they do create some problems.
Anybody else have ideas on the chore??????????????
caddy 53 chuck

Old 02-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Benoit1967
Senior User
What abou the poor guy who just ordered an FX4 with bucket leather seat? Where do I put that brake controller? Can't it be under the hood? - I never towed anything heavier than 5000 pounds and it was with a 1990 3/4 ton 4X4 chevy

Old 02-16-2004, 09:59 PM
mosterka
New User
I have a Lariat and have no problems with the bcu.

Directly above the e-brake, there is a metal "tab" about 4 inches wide. I attached my bcu to that and the cable goes to the right and directly into the plug. I can lean down a bit and hit the boost with my left hand with no problems. As well, my left leg never hits it.

Just a thought.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 AM
gabz
Junior User
Originally posted by Benoit1967
What abou the poor guy who just ordered an FX4 with bucket leather seat? Where do I put that brake controller? Can't it be under the hood? - I never towed anything heavier than 5000 pounds and it was with a 1990 3/4 ton 4X4 chevy
Ben - the brake controller has to be within reach of the driver in order to manually override the truck brakes to the trailer brakes. It's used with any trailer that has electric or hydraulic brakes (mostly elec). There are guages and/or lights onthe controller that the driver will want to watch/see. Also, there are adjustments that have to be made to calibrate the unit.

Monsterka - that sounds like a possibility. I think that tall people will have less trouble than a "5th percentile" female, i.e., a short person since your seat is farther away from the dash. I know one time the controller was too far towards the center and when I had teens in the center seating position, their legs would rub the adjustment dials on the controller when they sat there. Not a good thing.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:29 AM
gabz
Junior User
Re: brake control

Originally posted by Caddy 53
gabz:
Glad to hear about your idea to mount controller. I also have XLT W/ cap.chairs. I been wondering the best location. What do you know about the blk plastic tha goes from ashtray to floor. How much junk behind it? Any suggestion on how to route the wires?
I have thought of using a HUMP mount for CB radio and mounting the controller to the side or somthing ???
MAYBE the new models look pretty but they do create some problems.
Anybody else have ideas on the chore??????????????
caddy 53 chuck
On the center dash, that goes to the floor. The small bottom compartment "easily" pulls out - there are small pins that clip it in there. I only saw the bottom section (the black panel) for a second or two .. I think there is reinforcement behind it. But, if you pull that compartment out, you'll be able to access areas under there. And, at the front of the center console there's a pocket of sorts (my trash collection site LOL) Might be handy for microphone ??? I know I'm just amazed at the storage in the console - it's nearly as big as the "trunk" on a 1956 VW bug that I once owned!! Ha ha ha

Anyone with the full console with shifter, is gonna have some trouble - there might be enough space in front of the shifter to mount some equipment, I can't remember.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:28 AM
C-Hawls
New User
Originally posted by mosterka
I have a Lariat and have no problems with the bcu.

Directly above the e-brake, there is a metal "tab" about 4 inches wide. I attached my bcu to that and the cable goes to the right and directly into the plug. I can lean down a bit and hit the boost with my left hand with no problems. As well, my left leg never hits it.

Just a thought.
I did exactly the same thing. I can easily see the unit, it's easy enough to adjust there and it's completely out of the way.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:28 PM
2004supacrewlariat
Senior User
Originally posted by C-Hawls
I did exactly the same thing. I can easily see the unit, it's easy enough to adjust there and it's completely out of the way.
When you say "plug" are you saying there is a plug in for a brake control? I am still waiting for my truck to ship so I cant look at it. Sure would be nice if it's that simple.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:47 PM
gabz
Junior User
When you get your new truck, there should be a "pigtail", in a plastic bag with instructions (sometimes in the glovebox, mine happened to be in a stow bin in the back seat). The pigtail gets wired into the brake controller and that allows you to plug it into the jack under the dash.
There may also be a jumper module that has to be installed under the hood in some "magical" place to take care of computer stuff - like anti-lock braking systems.

Old 02-18-2004, 04:20 PM
C-Hawls
New User
Cool

Like he said, the wires just plug in if you've got a pigtail coming from your break control. The technical term escapes me, but the "magical plug" snaps in place inside the panel by the passenger door. Very, very simpe

Old 02-18-2004, 04:24 PM
gabz
Junior User
Originally posted by C-Hawls
Like he said,
er hum... maybe I should see if I can post my name in PINK (closest I could get) but I'm a "she" ...

Old 02-18-2004, 05:02 PM
C-Hawls
New User
Smile

Damn! As soon as I posted that I wondered if I made a mistake by assuming. Sorry! Your name in pink would've helped, though.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Benoit1967
Senior User
A lady who has passion for trucks... my dream.