Tow Wiring For Dummies! (Brake Controller, Trailer Plug, & Everthing Inbetween!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 02:05 AM
89MustangGX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Wiring For Dummies! (Brake Controller, Trailer Plug, & Everthing Inbetween!)

Hello,
Just getting ready to take the plunge and actually buy a trailer of my own for auto-transport (no more renting or bugging friends!), and I need to get my truck setup as such. I have done much reading, and looking, and I still have some questions. This is on a 90 F150, no fancy pre-installed towing plugs or anything from what I can tell, all I have right now is a T-connector for the 4-flat plug.

------------

1) I have been looking at wiring the brake controller and a 6 or 7 round plug at the back, and I need to get power to the controller and plug, and the brake wire from the controller to the plug, as well as a ground to the controller. I've read (in just about every accessory I ever installed) that you should pull power and ground right from the battery. How important is this really? If not, where would be some good spots (ground is an easy one, I was thinking starter relay next to the battery for power).

2) Assuming I need to pull power and ground from the battery, can I run one wire to a 20 or 30 amp circuit breaker and then split for the brake controller and trailer plug? Will the circuit breaker be enough for both?

3) Where is a good spot/method to mount the brake controller in my truck? I was looking at under the dash just next to the fuse panel cover? Maybe on the fuse panel cover? Help! [BTW -- I was thinking about the Voyager, but it's also the most expensive -- thoughts?]

4) Where is a good spot/method to mount the plug at the back of the truck? I have seen some brackets for the reciever - but my recieved sits up a little high under the truck, so I don't think they will work well. Drill a couple holes in the bottom of the bumper and mount bracket? Help!

5) Is 10 or 12 gauge wire good for running brake and power?

6) Last question is a wishful thinking one...is there a possibility my truck is prewired? Where would I find this on a pre-92 -- everything I've seen mentions 92+. There is no factory trailer plug or reciever, there have been added.

------------

I can't think of any other questions right now...but I think this should keep someone busy for a while! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by 89MustangGX; 02-14-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:38 PM
DanMartin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this link will answer most of your questions (and a few you didn't ask).

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/trailer-towing-tips.asp