Sponsored by:

Homemade Trac bars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:37 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade Trac bars?

I was going to fab my own Trac bars... Whats involved?

Sounds to me like its just two mounts on each with a bar in the middle that has some form of hinge or pivot on either end... close?

I was also going to make some hangar bars, probably 4" or 6" increase in height. Anyone done this?

Also, how necessary are trac bars up front with a 4", 6", and 10" lift?

The truck is a 1993 F-350 IDI Diesel, if you need to know. and torque is high.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:40 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
basically all they do is keep the front axle from wandering underneath the truck. the stiffer the springs the less likely you will need them as they do hinder your ability to flex...just like a sway bar. it isn't hard at all to make one but your truck should have come with one on it! check out my gallery and there will be a pic of one under misc!

-jason-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 01-31-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:36 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Proeliator made some **** kick ladder bars and posted them in a thread in this forum about a month ago. Do a search and they should come up.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:38 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Then Im calling them the wrong thing. Maybe their called Anti-Wrap bars or Anti-Sway bars, but i dont know. Its what you need if you have a lot of lift or a lot of torque. It has two pivoting points, one on hte axle below the leaf springs, and one in the middle of the frame or so. Help any?

Old 01-31-2004, 08:58 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
sounds like you are talking about ladder bars.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:03 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
sure... any info?

Old 01-31-2004, 09:43 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Go to this thread and scroll down to the last few posts on the first page. There are some pics of some that Proeliator made.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...52B%25252Bbars

Those are the best fabricated ones I've seen.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:02 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Thanks I couldnt find the post. Those are nice.

Still have some Q's...

Should I weld mine directly to the axle (seems like you would need pivots for when the suspension compresses and expands), and then have a pivot at the frame mount, or pivots at both ends?

I dont think im going to do the high arc thing like proeliator did, because 1) I dont rock crawl, and 2) Id rather scrape my ladder bars than my driveshaft.

When the axle goes up and down due to variing terrain, it moves in a straight path (straight up and down), right? If this is true, ho can ladder bars work? It seems to me that it would limit the movement of the axle to hardly anything at all... Someone explain pplease...

Old 01-31-2004, 10:19 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Pro, Ho or Fish would be the best to answer that. I don't think you would want to weld them to the axle though.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:02 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rlh is too kind...those are just some whipped up cuz I was sick of the conventional ones you can buy. I've got a new design thats awesome but I'm waiting to sell it to some company, we'll see.

In the mean time, heres what you want to do:

You do NOT want to weld the ladder bars to the axle. What you do want to do, is either weld mount flanges onto the axle, or just make your mount flanges so they bolt onto your axle. If you go with the weld option, make sure you know what your doing cuz you don't wan't to be welding on your axle tube unless you do.

The ladder bar then connects to the mount flanges, and then up to your mount point on the frame. Heim joints should be used at the connection points to allow articulation, and a shackle should be used at the foremost point if you flex it out at all. It sounds like you don't need to worry about that though. Hope that answered your questions. For massive hp/tq and lift you also need some trick anti-wrap bars for the front, like they use on monster trucks. You can see these underneath my leaf springs in one of my gallery but I imagine all you need to worry about is the rear...

Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 AM
77'F-150Mudder
Elder User
Originally posted by proeliator
Rlh is too kind...
Yea, no kidding. We all know you're full of it. Anyone who lifts their truck 14" has gotta be on crack, right?

Heh, sorry, just wanted you to feel at home. It's been like 2 days since I've seen anyone flipped you any ummm, well, you know.

Originally posted by proeliator
those are just some whipped up cuz I was sick of the conventional ones you can buy. I've got a new design thats awesome but I'm waiting to sell it to some company, we'll see.
You serious about that new design? You really trying to sell it? If so, are you getting a patent?

Old 02-01-2004, 11:48 AM
RawPower
Postmaster
Ok. Thank you Pro. I'll post pics when they're done, but tis going to be a while, cuase Im short on metal and really short on time, thanks to my gay school. By the way, If you read this again, did you make your lift, Pro?

Oh, what are heim joints

Last edited by RawPower; 02-01-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:44 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, already have a patent. Serious about selling them because some rigs really do need em and all the full size ones suck for real use. The best ones I've seen are the "sams offroad" type and even those are limited and cost $300 bucks. Yup, lift is "Miller made". Heim joints are the ones that kinda have a ball in socket deal in the end. I think Summit online has pictures of them.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by rlh
Pro, Ho or Fish would be the best to answer that. I don't think you would want to weld them to the axle though.
aww shuckx rlh.....your too kind I'm just trying to spread the knowledge!

Originally posted by RawPower
Oh, what are heim joints
heims are used all the time on tractors and heavy equipment!

-jason-

Old 02-01-2004, 01:43 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
really, then ill go take one off my dad's deere...no, not really, he wouldnt be too happy. ill just order some. Yall two are 2 of the 3 most useful and most responsive people on this site, the other is 83571ho, or whatever. thank you

Quick Reply: Homemade Trac bars?