Oil & Lubrication  

Best "dino" oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 06:41 PM
gtm245
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best "dino" oil

What one of these dino oils would be considered one of the best and which ones do you people use and have had good results with? (10W30 weight)

1. Valvoline All Climate
2. Pennzoil
3. Castrol GTX
4. Havoline
5. Quaker State
6. FormulaShell
7. "house brands"

Does anyone know which of these brands has moly in them?
Thanks everyone

Old 01-30-2004, 07:02 PM
tigerman
Senior User
I've used Pennzoil 5W-30, 10W30 in my truck and Crown Vic the past 7-8 years. Used to run Castrol 20W-50 in high mileage engines. Quaker State, Valvoline and even Sears brand have been used over the past 50 years. I've never seen an engine wear out yet before the rest of the vehicle rusted, rotted or fell apart otherwise. As to the "Moly", the Pennzoil bottle doesn't say. Cheers.....dinner is ready.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:15 PM
therion
Senior User
Re: Best "dino" oil

Originally posted by gtm245
What one of these dino oils would be considered one of the best and which ones do you people use and have had good results with? (10W30 weight)

1. Valvoline All Climate
2. Pennzoil
3. Castrol GTX
4. Havoline
5. Quaker State
6. FormulaShell
7. "house brands"

Does anyone know which of these brands has moly in them?
Thanks everyone
1.) HERE IS A VIRGIN OIL ANALYSYS OF Valvoline All Climate No Moly in valvoline although good portions of ZPPN's, 800 and 700 respectively.

2.) Analysis of Pennzoil 10W-30 - has some moly in it.

3.) Castrol GTXLooks pretty damn good oil. High TBN and good amounts of ZPPN's.

4.) Havoline 10W-30Almost as good as Castrol GTX, but has a lower TBN making it unsuitable for extended drains.

5.) No oil analysis, but the synthetics don't seem to do too well compared to other brands.

6.) Formula Shell 10W-30 Yet another average oil, no moly.

7.) Now for the house brands: I ravanged up a very good one:
bradpenn 5w-30 Highest ZPPNs i have seen, with a great TBN but no moly.

Now moly isnt really that important, especially if the ZPPN's are robust. Amsoils product lines have no moly in them, yet they outperform most other oils. Amsoils HDD 5W-30 has no moly yet provides better wear numbers than some 15W-40's in diesel applications. Look my recommendation especially if you have a higher mileage engine is to run a premium fleet diesel dino oil they have better most robust additive packages than most car oils. Stricter requirements as well, Chevron Delo has recieved great reviews.

Last edited by therion; 01-30-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:03 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd take Valvoline Maxlife over All Climate. I know Maxlife has about 12-22% synthetic, but it is not marketed as a blend, and the amount is small enough that it would qualify as a Dino in my book.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:56 AM
therion
Senior User
Originally posted by TallPaul
I'd take Valvoline Maxlife over All Climate. I know Maxlife has about 12-22% synthetic, but it is not marketed as a blend, and the amount is small enough that it would qualify as a Dino in my book.
yes MaxLife is good for older cars! I put it in a 200,000 mile car and it made it run like new again.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:32 AM
2fords2
Senior User
I read several comments by others, including a reference to an ASE paper, that indicate current amounts of moly (ie: < 100 ppm) are in oil these days to help pass API fuel efficiency standards rather than for anti wear performance. Apparently for moly to help with wear, there needs to be a significant quanity...as in several hundred ppm. Interestingly, the uoa reports at BIOG site for various "factory fill" oils tend to show very high amounts, as do a lot of 5W20 brands. Most others do not. I think zinc compounds continue to be the recognized anti-wear workhorse in oil, not small amounts of moly.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:50 AM
therion
Senior User
Originally posted by 2fords2
I read several comments by others, including a reference to an ASE paper, that indicate current amounts of moly (ie: < 100 ppm) are in oil these days to help pass API fuel efficiency standards rather than for anti wear performance. Apparently for moly to help with wear, there needs to be a significant quanity...as in several hundred ppm. Interestingly, the uoa reports at BIOG site for various "factory fill" oils tend to show very high amounts, as do a lot of 5W20 brands. Most others do not. I think zinc compounds continue to be the recognized anti-wear workhorse in oil, not small amounts of moly.

Exactly! i agree with you. Look at Amsoils premium oils, they have no moly in them! and how they churn up the best OA i have ever seen.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:33 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
From what I have seen recently, 2 of the best dino oils for gassers out there are Pennzoil and Chevron.

It is important to note that oil formulations change - sometimes frequently - so be wary of dated analysis if possible.

Flash has access to most of the recent formulation info, maybe he'll chime in.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Best "dino" oil

Originally posted by therion
1.) HERE IS A VIRGIN OIL ANALYSYS OF Valvoline All Climate No Moly in valvoline although good portions of ZPPN's, 800 and 700 respectively.

2.) Analysis of Pennzoil 10W-30 - has some moly in it.

3.) Castrol GTXLooks pretty damn good oil. High TBN and good amounts of ZPPN's.

4.) Havoline 10W-30Almost as good as Castrol GTX, but has a lower TBN making it unsuitable for extended drains.

5.) No oil analysis, but the synthetics don't seem to do too well compared to other brands.

6.) Formula Shell 10W-30 Yet another average oil, no moly.

7.) Now for the house brands: I ravanged up a very good one:
bradpenn 5w-30 Highest ZPPNs i have seen, with a great TBN but no moly.

Now moly isnt really that important, especially if the ZPPN's are robust. Amsoils product lines have no moly in them, yet they outperform most other oils. Amsoils HDD 5W-30 has no moly yet provides better wear numbers than some 15W-40's in diesel applications. Look my recommendation especially if you have a higher mileage engine is to run a premium fleet diesel dino oil they have better most robust additive packages than most car oils. Stricter requirements as well, Chevron Delo has recieved great reviews.

The post was asking about dino oil, so why even bring up Amsoil??

Again, I ask, are you a Amsoil dealer????

Bring on the ducks!!!!!

Old 01-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Well Bob, I'm glad someone besides me thinks this guy is a whacko. But I guess this post will disappear like the rest of the ones I have posted over the last few weeks. With that in mind, the misinformation this duck is passing out, I would be real careful about any of the recommends he makes. Most of it is pure BS. QUACK!!!!!!!!!
And now this post will fade into the sunset with the others.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:30 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Read this:

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

I'll give you a hint, they're all the same.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally posted by jschira
Read this:

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

I'll give you a hint, they're all the same.

Interesting!!!...One thing I got out of this report, those of you with too much money in your wallets, use synthetic, instead
of dino!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2004, 04:56 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally posted by Flash
Well Bob, I'm glad someone besides me thinks this guy is a whacko. But I guess this post will disappear like the rest of the ones I have posted over the last few weeks. With that in mind, the misinformation this duck is passing out, I would be real careful about any of the recommends he makes. Most of it is pure BS. QUACK!!!!!!!!!
And now this post will fade into the sunset with the others.
Well Flash, while we are venting, I think anybody that is for Amsoil is whacko!!!!!

Old 01-31-2004, 05:25 PM
MJEmerson
Senior User
I have been happy with castrol and mobil oil. I think with dino its a toss up....I think its the blends that seperate the companies. some have more synthetic in them than others I am told.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:36 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
I have been using Mystik JT-8 10w30 for a while now with no problems. Info for it can be found here.

Quick Reply: Best "dino" oil