1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:30 PM
gymcoal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! This problem has been bugging my wife for a year now. She has a company gas card and has to document her miles, so this has been a huge problem for her.

Here are a extra few tricks/recommendations that I learned in this process:

1) The headlight switch is tricky (I didn't know that the **** is its own tool to remove the switch). I copied and pasted the procedure below:

Disconnect the battery ground cable
Turn the headlamp switch **** to the headlamp position and pull the ****.

Insert a thin tool to release the headlamp switch **** and remove. (There is a small cut out in the bottom of the ****. You can use a thin screwdriver or pick to press the tab)

Turn the headlamp switch **** 180 degrees and install. (Just put the **** back on upside down)

Turn counterclockwise until the back of the headlamp switch **** is in the OFF position.

Turn the headlamp switch **** fully clockwise.

Remove the headlamp switch. (just pull it straight out)

Pull the headlamp switch from the instrument panel.

Disconnect the electrical connectors.

2) The P/R/Drive indicator is held into the gauge cluster by a couple of clips.

3) You need to pinch the electrical plugs on the back of the gauge cluster with your fingers to remove them. Kinda hard with big hands.

4) You need a torqx 15 to remove the screws on the back of gauge cluster.

5) Use a fine point soldering iron. Man those pins are SMALL!

Thanks again!!!

Old 08-01-2004, 09:53 PM
dskarl
New User
There is a secret to getting the headlight switch out, it all depends on if its the first 6 mnths of 99 or the last 6 months of the 99. Ford switched the switches halway through. I think the first 6 months they pry out, and the last 6 mnths turn the switch bacwards and it releases it! you turn it backwards and it releases the panel, I have the same problem with the odometer, great thread! Gonna fix it shortly! I also have a rear end leak between the yoke and the driveshaft? Any help there? Is there a bolt that holds the flange to the rear end? Thanks Dskarl

Last edited by dskarl; 08-01-2004 at 09:58 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-01-2004, 10:02 PM
dcox
New User
I don't have the odometer black out problem, but I do need to replace a few of the bulbs in the IP. How hard is that to get out, or can I change the bulbs by reaching my hand around the back of the dash?

Old 08-02-2004, 01:27 PM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Originally Posted by dakota_viking
KR1,

The cluster is very easy to remove. You have to remove the headlight switch, the cover just above the steering column, and the panel that houses the headlight switch and also goes around the cluster. Once that is out, just remove 4 bolts, 2 connectors and the gear display (just squeeze tabs and remove). With that, the cluster is out of the dash and in your hands.

It took me a total of about 14 minutes and that included disconnecting the battery (do this before you do anything else)

Good luck.

You will need to take the cluster out to change the bulbs, but it really not too bad of a job.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:15 AM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My 99 is doing this too. Started about a year ago with one freak instance. Now does it multiple times per day.

If it is not fixed right away will the panel burn out from the poor connection?
Thanks Dan

Old 08-23-2004, 09:35 AM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Originally Posted by 99F150
My 99 is doing this too. Started about a year ago with one freak instance. Now does it multiple times per day.

If it is not fixed right away will the panel burn out from the poor connection?
Thanks Dan
I doubt it will cause any problems with your panel....just your patience!

I decided to fix mine because I had got a new set of gauge faces and wanted to make sure my cluster wasn't going to need to be replaced.

Good luck!

Tim

Old 08-28-2004, 08:11 PM
1999redford
New User
This is was hell of a money saving post. The odometer coming on and off was annoying as heck. I didn't see a cold solder joint but gave it a small amount of solder anyway. Three weeks later and it is still working like new. a couple of things that made it eaiser for me. I had to remove the front cover to the odometer so I could get to the two clips that hold the trans indicator in place. Also there is a small gray rubber boot that goes on the end of the odometer reset button. You will see it when you seperate the board drom the housing. Make sure it is still on when you put it back together. I found out the hard way after I was finished and had to reassemble it again to install the gray boot.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:30 AM
ckramcke
Freshman User
1999 navi

I am glad I found this thread I was going to fork over the scratch soon. Does anyone know if the Navigator is the same? I have auto lights so no **** to remove to get at the guages but there is a panel that needs to be removed that holds the switches for the lights.

Old 09-23-2004, 02:46 PM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MacDaddy
Well I took the plunge this weekend and decided to pull the cluster out and take a look. My 1999 F150 has had odometer problem since about 50000 miles. Now has 69000 and I was tired of playing hide and go seek with it. Did just as Dakota said. Didn't have the magnifying glass which would have really come in handy but had the wife look at the pins and the picture that Dakota posted and sure enough it was the same one. Took a pencil type soldering iron with a very small tip and just touched pin and put a VERY small amount around the pin and it works like new. Looks odd now to look down and see odometer all lit up. Not a bad job if you take your time and don't get in a hurry. Thanks to Dakota Viking I saved myself about $300 plus from what I have heard. It appears that there are quite a few trucks out there with this problem.
I second that. works great now
Thanks for saving me the cash Dan

Old 09-23-2004, 06:56 PM
papadace
Freshman User
Wow am I glad I found this post! My wifes 2001 SuperCrew is doing the same thing at 67,000. I bought the extended warranty but the dealership is trying to worm out of the repair by telling me that it is a very intermittent problem and that they can't fix it if it is not acting up. Man I hate liers! If it is alright with all of you I would like to coppy this whole string and take it to my dealer and make them eat their words! I love my Fords just not my local dealer!

Old 09-23-2004, 09:47 PM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Originally Posted by papadace
Wow am I glad I found this post! My wifes 2001 SuperCrew is doing the same thing at 67,000. I bought the extended warranty but the dealership is trying to worm out of the repair by telling me that it is a very intermittent problem and that they can't fix it if it is not acting up. Man I hate liers! If it is alright with all of you I would like to coppy this whole string and take it to my dealer and make them eat their words! I love my Fords just not my local dealer!
Copy away Papa! I'm glad that I have been able to help so many.

When I first noticed the problem, my Ford service tech just stared at me and said "Replace the cluster!"

Not all of us can throw out cash like that!

Good Luck!

Tim

Old 09-25-2004, 01:59 PM
sk8ingsmurf
Junior User
Awesome post, doing it this weekend, hoping it will save me that $300. Anyone know how easy it would be to switch out the dash lights for l.e.d.s? I was thinking about switching mine to match my amps and deck? just sorta curious, could end up deciding it a little too ricey for me.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Bedasi
Freshman User
Talking Great Fix!

This worked like a charm..pictures really helped as well.
Thanks for the great post!

Old 09-28-2004, 08:23 AM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bedasi
This worked like a charm..pictures really helped as well.
Thanks for the great post!
Just glad I could contribute to this great site!

Tim

Old 10-04-2004, 09:31 AM
gibsonj
Tuned
EXCELLENT POST!!! My 2K Expy just experienced "periodic" odometer blackout this weekend. I knew I could count on this group to help me out. THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!