Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9 glow plug wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:08 PM
golfn4gold
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.9 glow plug wiring diagram

I have a 85 ford f-250 I need the wiring diagram for the glowplugs and starting system. Someone rewired the glowplugs and with a switch but I want to wire it back to original. If you can help,

Old 01-23-2004, 12:44 AM
ncshooter
Freshman User
I've got the factory elec. schematics for the 1984 model year,if you want me to burn you a copy shoot me an e-mail
ncshooter

Old 01-23-2004, 09:34 AM
golfn4gold
New User
please send me a copy the truck is in the shop waiting on them they cant find a schenatics to fix it.
thanks alot
mark

Old 01-23-2004, 09:50 AM
katdon2001
New User
Lightbulb glo plug wiring

Howdy

To find the diagram you need...
type in diesel manns page click go
when the page comes up scroll down to IDI section, click on that and find your correct year click on it and presto there ya got it the whole system diagram

I would use a push button switch with CONSTANT DUTY GLOW PLUGS. ford controllers are not the most reliable
Don

Old 01-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Skaterock
New User
what is considered a "constant Duty" glow plug? Is the Beru brand rated for canstant duty? thanks.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:10 PM
katdon2001
New User
constant duty

you have to look around as to whats available, depending on were you are located.look online type in cdgp click go and ya got pages full of ideas
They are out there

A constant duty glo plug is around $38-on up a piece
depending on what you want/need

Old 01-23-2004, 04:24 PM
ncshooter
Freshman User
golfn, E-mail me at this: gamc@clis.com, I'll give you my ph.no.
I wired around my controller with a push button switch, using the controller as a "terminal" and retained the original glow plugs.
If I wanted to I could use the controller as originally intended and still have a push button to "override" the system with if the controller went belly up. The truth is I've never replaced the bad controller that prompted me to go to a push button in the first place(couldn't justify the 150 bucks). The local Ford dealer's techs have copied the "shunt " wiring I did on serveral IDI early model trucks in my area and they confirm the setup works. I have mine done this way since 1996. Give me a call and I'll tell you how to do it. I'm on EST
ncshooter

Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Birken Vogt
Senior User
The problem with the 6.9 controller is not that it doesn't come on, rather when they go bad they tend to hold the glow plugs on for too long thus burning them up and possibly swelling them and making cylinder head removal necessary. For this reason I decided to go with the 7.3 controller and the modification was really pretty simple. One of these days I will get around to writing it up but until then be assurred it works much better.

Birken

Old 01-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Skaterock
New User
hmmm, can you send me some instruction s on how you did it? the 2 controller are quite different in size and shape. what does the 7.3 L. controller do to keep the gP's from overheating.
-ryan

Old 01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a 7.3 turbo and the glow plug controller must be moved of the manifold to clear the turbo. Since the controller is not on the manifold to get the heat i decieded to do the manual relay setup. Now I never have to worry about the glow plugs burning them selves up due to a dead/malfunctioning controller.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Birken Vogt
Senior User
The 7.3 controller doesn't sense any heat directly. Mine is mounted behind the right battery where the old 6.9 relay used to be.

See this post I made about making the conversion:

Article

Pictures will follow

The advantage to the 7.3 plugs is they are 12v and will not immediately burn up if left on too long, and the controller is electronic not mechanical like the 6.9, and not so prone to sticking the glow plugs on.

Birken

Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 AM
84deisel
here sometimes
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford had a tsb issued on the glowplugs in 84. The fix was to update to 7.3 controller and glowplugs using 7.3 wiring harness

Old 02-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Skaterock
New User
Smile thanks guys!

thanks for all your help everyone! I finally succumbed to buying a starter switch from NAPA ans some 14 ga. wire and ran a bypass to the GP relay. Like someone else on here said, " I can't justify spending 200 bucks on that little box", which will mst likely fail again. Besides that I don't even think i can access the old style bullet controller since it's under my turbo!
-ryan

Old 02-02-2004, 08:48 PM
ncshooter
Freshman User
Skaterock, That is exactly what I did 8 years ago, except I used 10 guage. Drive on! ncshooter

Old 09-15-2020, 10:00 PM
84_6.9
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ncshooter
golfn, E-mail me at this: gamc@clis.com, I'll give you my ph.no.
I wired around my controller with a push button switch, using the controller as a "terminal" and retained the original glow plugs.
If I wanted to I could use the controller as originally intended and still have a push button to "override" the system with if the controller went belly up. The truth is I've never replaced the bad controller that prompted me to go to a push button in the first place(couldn't justify the 150 bucks). The local Ford dealer's techs have copied the "shunt " wiring I did on serveral IDI early model trucks in my area and they confirm the setup works. I have mine done this way since 1996. Give me a call and I'll tell you how to do it. I'm on EST
ncshooter
Permission to email you as well? I just got my 6.9 and it’s wired up to a switch, but it’s not hooked up. I need to see what you did and copy it. If you’ve got a schematic it would be so helpful.

Quick Reply: 6.9 glow plug wiring diagram