Notices

Inspection Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:09 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Inspection Sticker

I went to Virgina and got a ticket for an expired Va. inspection sticker. I live in and I'm tagged in Maryland. The sticker was on the Vehicle when I bought it new. Two thirds of the sticker was already removed, the rest is over the Black dots on the windshield. Does any know what I can use to get the sticker off that won't take the dots off? PS a wet sponge on the sticker overnight didn't work.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:40 AM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Inspection Sticker

Originally posted by Aftrmidnite
I went to Virgina and got a ticket for an expired Va. inspection sticker. I live in and I'm tagged in Maryland. The sticker was on the Vehicle when I bought it new.
First of all, Fight that damn ticket. If your lisenced & tagged in Maryland & Virginia officer has no right writing you a ticket for not having a current Virginia Inspection. He can't even write you a ticket for having an expired Maryland inspection. Now if you were licensed, tagged, & lived in Virginia, then it would be a different story.

Originally posted by Aftrmidnite
Two thirds of the sticker was already removed, the rest is over the Black dots on the windshield. Does any know what I can use to get the sticker off that won't take the dots off? PS a wet sponge on the sticker overnight didn't work.
The best thing I can say to use is some kind of adhesive remover. They make many different types & brands. I've always had good luck with Goo Gone. I think you can still pick that up at Wal-Mart pretty cheap.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would fight the ticket also, but a Virginia officer CAN write out a ticket for an expired Va inspection sticker, even if you live and are tagged in Maryland! A Va inspection sticker, or a locale sticker such as a county decal MUST BE REMOVED when no longer valid, whether from you moving out of that area or because it is old and expired.

I am curious as to why an officer would even bother with this issue especially since two thirds of the decal was already removed and the remaining decal was basically hidden by the black dots... My guess is that maybe you were doing something to attract a bit of attention, and this is the only thing he could find, or just added it on to the other violations?

By the way, Goo Gone, Bug and Tar Remover, or plain alcohol will work well. You may have to rub a bit. Remember to test on a small area of the dots just to make sure whatever you use doesn't pull one off, and after you are finished pulling decal off, go back over it with water or window cleaner to remove any excess of the product you used.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
peppy
Postmaster
Zippo lighter fluid also works on just about everything. Guess it kinda falls there in with the alcohol

Old 01-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
You are right about writing me up for the sticker, and I will have to pay the fine. There was just enough of the sticker left for him to read the numbers, even the backing is gone off the number part, so I think he went a little too far. I thaught the fine was for twenty dollars, but after reading the fine print there is a $49 proccessing fee and a $10 misc. fee. I also got on the net, it seems like this fleecing is regular business in Va. Do a search on "Expired Virginia Inspection Stickers" and look at the increase in numbers between 02 and 03.
As to how he nailed me, everyone wanted some soft drinks and I pulled into a general store. His car was in the parking lot ,empty, out near the road. He was leaning up against the counter and I nodded to him. He had pulled up on my rear bumper when I walked out of the store, with my two kids. My wife and a visitor were in the truck. We spend most of our long weekends in Va. , 4 last year. Hell will freeze over before I do that this year!

Old 01-20-2004, 11:16 PM
rainbowATF
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your protection and safety forces at work; no pay raises; layoffs? don't know if I understand cops or crooks better. Got a ticket for going over 20 mph in a school zone. There was no school in session. Had to pay fine; court reasoning is that I couldn't have known that at the time so I was virtually breaking the law. These cities are suffering budget problems with so many people out of work. The cities will screw anyone and for any twisted reason they can come up with. Time for another revolution!

Old 01-21-2004, 04:07 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
The ticket sucks, and Goo Gone will get rid of the sticker!

Old 01-21-2004, 11:02 AM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rainbowATF
The cities will screw anyone and for any twisted reason they can come up with. Time for another revolution!
Yep, I aggree with you. I just got a $105.00 fine for moving my car around in a public parking lot without having my headlights on.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User
I hate to be the unsympathetic jerk, but if the school sign was flashing, then you have to obey the sign's posted limit no matter if school was in or not.... The sign doesn't say'Speed Limit when school is in Session', it clearly says' --Speed Limit when Flashing'.

Also, if it is dark when you are moving your car around AT ALL, you should have full lighting on.

The cities and counties aren't screwing anybody out of their money, you guys are just making it too easy for the police!

Old 01-22-2004, 09:00 PM
rainbowATF
Senior User
Never said there were flashing lights. But our flashing signs say school zone; and at the convenience of the municipality they flash during closed school; holidays, etc. If the traffic gnome doesn't turn them off they flash for no reason. The law sets no requirement for flashing signs to even be used. Many schools especially non-public; don't even have them. The law only only states school in session, children going/to/from; distance from school and times in effect and recess. The speed limit with no school in session is posted 35 mph.

Last edited by rainbowATF; 01-22-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User
Sorry to accuse without full knowledge... Around here, the signs say 'when flashing' and apply as such under full backing of state law.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
I sent off my fine, found out I didn't have to send it to that town's treasure. It was written on a common wealth ticket, so I could send where I choose in VA. Don't understand their law structures. Removed the decal numbers with woodgrain pinstripe removal, had some left over from work. On the school signs, are they out there on school days regularly, or did they decide to make a killing knowing a lot of people would be doing the normal speed since school was closed?

Last edited by Aftrmidnite; 01-25-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:33 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
if you're talking about the sticker on the window dont use anything but a razor. googone and things like that are a waste of money to use on glass. i work at a detail shop after school and we use plain straight razors you get at home depot(the rectangle ones with one edge smooth to hold). thats also what the garages use to remove the stickers. just scrape away.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User
Ahh, yes, young grasshopper, the straight razor blade works well on glass. However, the razor blade does not work as well in the shade dot area of the windshield. The possibility of removing the dots greatly outweighs the joy of complete sticker removal. Thus the suggestions for fancy new-fangled stick-um remover solutions.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:46 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
ohhhh gotcha. i didn't know what you all were talking about w/the dots. i've used the razor on them and nothing has happened. just go easy.

Quick Reply: Inspection Sticker