1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pacer Front-end

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:31 PM
rockfordboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacer Front-end

I have a 52 truck me and my dad are fixin' up. He read in a magazine you can use a pacer front-end, and they will bolt/weld right up to the frame. Before i bought it, i was wondering if anyone had done this and if there are any problems. thanks ya'll

Old 01-04-2004, 10:14 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rockfordboy-
I've seen the Pacer in some Ch**ys a few years ago but not in any Fords. Seems to me a Pacer would be hard to come by these days and replacement parts possibly harder. I suggest looking at the reviews of different IFS options on this forum and deciding which suits your situation best. Thats just my opinion of course. Good luck.

Larry

Old 01-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Keahi73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree with Larry. What may seem like a good "deal" and easy bolt on right now, may cause you more headache later on. I will second the fact that parts may not be as easy to come by.Another problem is the lack of tech support you would have. I would look into a Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen or Mustang II if you are looking for a donor car. There is plenty of "Been There, Done That" enthusiasts who could help you out along those lines. Check out the threads and tech notes here on the forums before deciding the best route for you.

I have only heard of these on Chebbys ,never a Ford. (But never say never!) Good luck!

Old 01-05-2004, 04:59 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rockford,

I haven't put one under a truck, but a friend and I put one under a 34 Pontiac sedan about 15 years ago. We also used the AMC steering column, master cylinder, and brake pedal assembly. It worked out very well and the friend drove the car until he sold it about two years ago. The only problem he ever had was replacing the power rack and pinion which developed a leak. A chevy ps pump works well with the rack and pinion. It was a little wide for the Pontiac and he had to use six inch wheels up front, but should be about right for a truck. The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5, so finding wheels isn't a problem. I'm not sure about parts availablility now since they haven't been around since the mid 70s. Unless you know where one is and are on a limited budget, I'd look at something more up to date.

Old 01-05-2004, 05:09 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a Pacer link that you might find helpful. http://www.50chevy.freeservers.com/Pacer_IFS.html#Pacer
I would also recommend that you follow Renee's suggestion and read the suspension threads stickied at the top of this forum. Good luck. himmelberg