Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Question about speedometers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:06 AM
mick460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about speedometers

I hope this is the right place to ask a question concerning speedometers, if not Dennis I know you will direct it to the appropreiate spot. I looked at a 2001 Super Duty at a used truck store today. They told me the truck was from Canada. I could not find any previous owner info in the truck so I took their word on it. It seems they buy quite a few used trucks from a dealer there (no sure what providence) and bring them down here into Wisconsin. My question pertains to the speedometer. Aren't your speedometers registering in KM? Now how would I know when it shows 37,### on the odometer if that is miles or KM or has it been tampered with? Truck seems nice but it is barely 2 years old. Any insight in bringing trucks across the border would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Both formats.

The outer rim of the speedo is KM/hr and the inner format is Miles/hr

Now.... they have also been showing up in KM only.

Old 01-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The numbers in a virgin odometer are not even. My 97 Rangers' odo still has uneven numbers at 96950km. So if the mumbers are nice and even like the print on this page, I'd question them.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:27 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
As far as I know when Trucks are sold to the US they have to have the speedometers changed over to miles from km's. Unfortunetly you never really know if it was or wasn't tampered with. Unfortunetly there are always risks when buying a used truck, this is why they are cheaper then new.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:19 AM
mick460
Elder User
Thank you canadianfordman. This was the answer I was looking for. Even thou this truck looked good for 2 years old, I suspect that at 37,+++ miles seemed low. Certain things like oily residue on the underside, wear on petals,etc lead me to believe it to be more than what showed. Price was also a couple of thousand less than the other trucks on the lot. Once again thanks so much. Not that Canadians are harder on trucks but I don't need to buy one that is miss represented.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:44 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Your welcome. Good luck in your search and feel free to ask anymore questions.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
TurboTuff
Tuned
I find it hard to believe that a 2 year old truck needed the Speedometer replaced??

And the selling of trucks down to the US is a common practice...but it's the dealer in the US that must do the Speedo conversion if it only shows KPH.Canada is not required to do that.