6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Latest info on flashes and wire chafing

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Latest info on flashes and wire chafing

Ok guys, this is the latest info I have. We have flashed 4 trucks now and all owners are repoting success!
Please check this link as Tim and I are trying to put together a matrix to see as close as possible where these trucks are standing service wise..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=185570

Thanks everyone! and as always, let me know if I can help...

SSM 17437
2003-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES/EXCURSION 6.0L - WHITE/GRAY SMOKE AND VARIOUS DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS AFTER COLD START - TORQSHIFT HARSH DOWNSHIFT AND BUCK/JERK
SOME 2003-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES AND EXCURSION VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 9/30/2003 WITH A 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT EXCESSIVE WHITE/GRAY SMOKE, RUNS ROUGH, AND/OR MISFIRE CONDITIONS DURING EXTENDED IDLE FOLLOWING A COLD START, OR POOR PERFORMANCE DURING WIDE OPEN THROTTLE (WOT) ACCELERATION FOLLOWING A COLD START. THIS CONDITION TYPICALLY OCCURS WHEN OPERATING AT ALTITUDES OF APPROXIMATELY 1,500 METERS (5,000 FEET) OR HIGHER. TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM AND TCM TO THE LATEST CALIBRATION LEVEL USING WDS RELEASE B28.0.9 OR HIGHER. THIS CALIBRATION ALSO CONTAINS A TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION CALIBRATION UPDATE TO ADDRESS HARSH 3-2 DOWNSHIFT WHEN COASTING IN TOW/HAUL MODE OR A CLUNK/BUCK/ JERK ON TIP-IN OR TIP-OUT WHEN IN TOW/HAUL MODE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSM 17048
2003-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES/EXCURSION 6.0L DIT - CALIBRATION - RUNNING CHANGE
WHEN SERVICING 2003-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES/EXCURSION VEHICLES WITH 6.0L POWERSTROKE ENGINE (VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 8/18/03), REPROGRAM PCM/TCM/FICM TO THE LATEST CALIBRATION LEVEL. CONCERNS WHICH MAY BE ADDRESSED WITH THIS UPDATE INCLUDE: ROUGH IDLE/RPM SURGE/SMOKE ON VERY LIGHT THROTTLE TIP-IN THAT IS MOST NOTICEABLE WHILE MANEUVERING A LOAD; IMPROVED A/C PERFORMANCE AT IDLE; MINOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION LAUNCH PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENTS; SMOOTHER DOWNSHIFT WHEN IN TOW/HAUL MODE AROUND 20 MPH WITH TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION; IMPROVED PERFORMANCE DURING VEHICLE OPERATION AT LOW ALTITUDE/HIGH BAROMETRIC PRESSURE; DIAGNOSTIC UPDATES; CAN COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL UPGRADES TO IMPROVE COMPATIBILITY WITH SOME AFTERMARKET SCAN TOOLS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSM 16966
1994-2003 VARIOUS VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 6.0L/7.3L - INJECTION CONTROL PRESSURE (ICP) AND EXHAUST BACK PRESSURE (EBP) WIRING CONNECTOR SERVICE KIT
SOME 1994-2003 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 7.3L OR 2003 MY 6.0L DI TURBO ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT DRIVEABILITY CONDITIONS CAUSED BY THE ICP AND EBP WIRING CONNECTORS. IF A POOR CONNECTION EXISTS, THE ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM MAY ENTER DEFAULT AND SET EITHER A P1280 (7.3L - ICP), P2285 (6.0L - ICP) OR A P0472 (6.0L AND 7.3L - EBP) DTC. THESE DTC'S TYPICALLY IDENTIFY AN OPEN CIRCUIT. IF EITHER OF THESE CODES IS PRESENT, CLEAR THE CODE AND WIGGLE TEST THE CONNECTOR. IF THE WIGGLE TEST IDENTIFIES THE CONDITION, EITHER CONNECTOR MAY BE REPLACED WITH SERVICE KIT FOR 1994-1996 7.3L (3C3Z-12224-BA) OR 1997-2003 7.3L OR 2003 6.0L (3C3Z-12224-AA). THE PACKAGE CONTAINS A CONNECTOR WITH PIGTAIL, 3 BUTT SPLICES, 3 SHRINK TUBES AND INSTRUCTIONS.

SSM 17445
2003-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES/EXCURSION 6.0L - DRIVEABILITY - WIRING HARNESS CHAFING
SOME 2003-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES AND EXCURSIONS EQUIPPED WITH A 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A CRANK NO START, RUNS ROUGH, ENGINE MISSES, BUCKS/JERKS OR LACKS POWER CONDITION. THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE FUEL INJECTOR CONTROL MODULE (FICM) WIRE HARNESS CHAFING ON THE UPPER LEFT VALVE COVER STUD NEAR THE FICM. OTHER POSSIBLE SOURCES OF WIRE CHAFING ARE THE IDLER PULLEY UNDER THE THERMOSTAT (WIRING ROUTED AROUND POWER STEERING PUMP), LEFT FRONT VALVE COVER HOLD DOWN BOLTS/STUDS, EXHAUST BACK PRESSURE SENSOR BRACKET AT THERMOSTAT HOUSING, RIGHT VALVE COVER AT GLOW PLUG CONTROL MODULE, AP/ETC PEDAL WIRES AT STEERING COLUMN (ADJUSTABLE PEDAL APPLICATIONS ONLY), UNDER FICM AT VALVE COVER EDGE AND PCM HARNESS AT BATTERY BOX. REROUTE WIRING AND/OR INSTALL VACUUM CAPS ON STUDS CONTACTING HARNESS. REPAIR WIRING AS NECESSARY.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:47 PM
SPFDRum
Freshman User
Thanks for all the info emtabmm!

Old 12-30-2003, 06:12 AM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
I'm here to help!!!

Old 12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
ALSO, Ford has just released wds version B28.10, still waiting to hear what this update entails....

Old 12-31-2003, 01:24 PM
eharman
Senior User
Outstanding,
did this latest reflash help with the idle vibration from the
Oct flash?
Thanks again.......

Old 12-31-2003, 01:26 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
Re: Latest info on flashes and wire chafing

yes.....

Originally posted by emtabmm
SOME 2003-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES AND EXCURSION VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 9/30/2003 WITH A 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT EXCESSIVE WHITE/GRAY SMOKE, RUNS ROUGH, AND/OR MISFIRE CONDITIONS DURING EXTENDED IDLE FOLLOWING A COLD START, OR POOR PERFORMANCE DURING WIDE OPEN THROTTLE (WOT) ACCELERATION FOLLOWING A COLD START.

Old 12-31-2003, 04:39 PM
f250mike
New User
Talking

What a great source of info... thank you very much.

I got a "recall notice" yesterday from Ford. At issue is this:
"In your vehicle, the on-board diagnostic function of the diesel Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may not interface properly with cerrtain generic diagnostic tools used for vehicle diagnosis and repair. This conditiion may not comply with regulatory requirements, and may present an issue for affected inspection/Maintenance facilities as wellas limit diagnostic capabilities at certain service facilities."

The fix is for them to reprogram my PCM. They say that doing so will fix this problem and also deactivate the polot fuel injection for my engine. This will result in an improved idle smoothness and stability, but it will also increase "slightly" the sound level at warm idle.

Not doing this they say could make my truck not pass future smog tests. According to this letter, "The State of California and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts require the completion of emissions recall repairs prior to vehicle registration renewal."

Looks like I have no choice in the matter as I live in here on the "left coast". I will get the flash soon and post my results... Gotta admit, I'm a little bit nervous about doing it...

Last edited by f250mike; 12-31-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
Key words being "emissions recall repairs"

Old 12-31-2003, 05:10 PM
psdwanabe
Senior User
f250mike, unless your having problems or California wont let you register without doing it, I wouldn't have it done. There a lot of complaints of owners who have had their pilot injection deactivated and are now pissed because they no longer have the quiet at idle diesel that they paid for.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:34 PM
f250mike
New User
Talking

psdwanabe:

Thanks for the tip. However, mine is kinda loud IMO both at idle and while running. In fact, while fueling up the other day a guy in a Dmax pulled into the station and I was blown away at how much quieter the dmax was. That said, my 6.0 is still much quieter than the 7.3's that I have seen and the sound level did not really play significantly in my decision to purchase the 6.0 PSD. (My neighbors probably wish I'd stuck w/th 5.4 Triton I had before).

According the the recall notice, I have no choice since I live here in CA.
"If you do not have this service done: your emissions warranty may be reduced, your vehicle may not pass emissions or smog tests that may be required in your area, your State Department of Motor Vehicles may not renew your vehicle registration."

Something tells me that in the end it will all work out. I pretty much have to get the reflash, who knows, it might make this awesome truck even awesomer!!!

BTW Guys (and gals). Did a "ready, GO!" with a 7.3 the other night at a stop light. He has a chip, a 4" exhaust, and an airforce 1 intake. My 6.0 is totally stock and I stayed even with him all the way through the gears. We both backed off at about 50mph (only slightly exceeding the speed limit in that area.)

Anyway, kinda anxious to see how my 6.0 CC, 4x4 short bed reacts with a new intake and 4" exhaust.

PS I'm extremely happy with this truck!!!

Old 01-01-2004, 10:32 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer has been good up until this point. I asked about the December flash when emtabmm first broke the news. I got an email response from the service manager that I had the latest flash yadadada. I had the Oct flash. It wasn't until Dec. 30th that my service writer checked and found there was the Dec flash. Even then I can't get them to tell me what WDS release it is. They gave me some other number than WDS.

Perhaps a call to Ford Customer Satisfaction is in order...

Old 01-01-2004, 08:11 PM
ALH2
New User
Does all this I'm reading mean I'm stuck with a louder truck. I was at the post office the other day and was blown away by how quiet a brand new ford was. And yes it was a 6.0L. When I took my truck in for it being to noisy at idle, the service writer said maybe it was because I had the FX4 package. I said what does that have to do with my engine? He said I have different springs and sit's higher so the noise comes from underneth the truck. I think that's BS! I think maybe unless someone itellegent convince's me otherwise,I might trade it at 35,000 miles! If anyone can tell me how to make my truck quieter PLEASE HELP, and I don't have emissions where I live.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Jontx
Junior User
I sorry, There is no such thing. I called and they said they would make a note of my problem, but if I wanted to take it higher I HAD to go through my dealer. There was no recourse through them!

Jon

Old 01-01-2004, 08:22 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
Thats when you start climbing the food chain at the dealer, believe me, it works...