1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Overhead DVD Screen Mounting in Superduty Crew Cabs With Moon Roof
I have a factory moon roof and would be interested in this if fit, function and aesthetics were acceptable.
50.00%
I have a factory moon roof and would not be interested in this.
0%
This doesn't apply to me. Just stopping in to read the post.
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Overhead Dvd Screen (f-series Sdcc Trucks) If I Have Moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 03:34 PM
skigalini
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overhead Dvd Screen (f-series Sdcc Trucks) If I Have Moonroof

I have a factory moonroof. I have two little boys who get bored and sometimes fight (sibling rivalry at 2 and 4). Aside from tanning their fannies every 10 minutes or 10 miles, I know that a DVD player would be a marvelous babysitter while I'm concentrating on my driving. It would be something that would be useful for many years to come.

My stereo expert, and the advisor at my Ford dealership, do not know of any way to mount an overhead DVD because there is a hollow channel that the moonroof retracts into. This hollow channel is part of the hard-plastic headliner (with felt-type material facing you) and is possibly too flimsy to support the weight of the DVD screen and the hidden internal wiring could get snagged if placed on the inside where the moving glass and brackets are.

DESIGN IDEA (Does something like this exist?):
It seems to me that if someone were to 'invent' or make an external channel/bracket that were to extend fully from side to side, mount solidly to the sides, and fit flush with the shape of the overhead molding, this would serve as a solid place to mount the overhead DVD. One or two DVD screens could be mounted on this side to side mounting bracket/track allowing the DVD screen(s) to slide into any position side to side. Also, the bracket/track could deliver the wiring harness(es) to the DVD(s).

If there were enough demand, perhaps my buddy and I could design and develop a prototype, we could test it, make digital photographs to share with interested people, and if it works real well, could make larger quantities. Just a thought.

MY QUESTION: Is there any demand for something like this, or am I the only person on this planet that would like to have an overhead DVD WITH the factory moon roof. If you have a FACTORY MOON ROOF in your SUPER DUTY CREW CAB, then I would like to hear your opinion. Thank you,

Last edited by skigalini; 12-23-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Shadow Hills Super Duty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I do not have a moonroof I would say that I would ( and may ) put my screens in the back of the front seat head rests. I think it's an easier and cleaner install. Plus there are no distractions hanging from the roof and rear incoming light would not affect the screens as much. Just my opinion.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:19 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
So, with the moonroof the glass and brackets are directly above the plastic ??

A buddy of mine installs tvs, dvds, etc... and he says that all the dealer work that he has no longer wants flip downs. All the dealers (up around here at least) are having him install tvs in the headrests and in the visors.

I've heard from someone who has a sunroof that a tv can be installed..........if I'm able to get in touch with him I'll see what he says.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:09 PM
skigalini
Junior User
Originally posted by DCSpecial So, with the moonroof the glass and brackets are directly above the plastic ?? [/B]
When you open the moon roof, it goes back into an area where the headliner is a little deeper to facilitate retraction of the moon roof.
Originally posted by DCSpecial A buddy of mine installs tvs, dvds, etc... and he says that all the dealer work that he has no longer wants flip downs. All the dealers (up around here at least) are having him install tvs in the headrests and in the visors.

I've heard from someone who has a sunroof that a tv can be installed..........if I'm able to get in touch with him I'll see what he says. [/B]
Thanks a lot for the response. In my Centennial Model Lariat truck, the headrest is part of the seat and because the Centennial edition has Imola leather seats, I'm not sure that I want to chop it up to install DVD screens in the back of them. CLICK HERE:

I look forward to hearing what your friend has to say about the overhead DVD screen.

Last edited by skigalini; 12-23-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:24 PM
bender97f250
Senior User
Just something to consider, How long are you planning on keeping your truck? My point is fabricating and spending alot of money on a dvd player and it becomes a permanent fixture when you sell the truck. There are alot of nice systems out there that are 2 screens,cdr,dvd,xbox and playstation friendly and the nice thing they are portable. You will be able to transfer them among your cars or even your house. I have also found these systems to be a little cheaper than the headrests and overhead consoles.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:08 AM
jeepgod
Junior User
how about mounting it in the back of the center console.. or get another console with it already there.. i have seen them..

a friend of mine has his mounted in the back of the seats for his little girls.. works great..

Old 12-24-2003, 06:33 AM
BluesManF250
Senior User
I have a similar situation with my 9 and 6 yr old. I simply strap down our portable 13in. tv/vcr combo after folding down the console on the bench seat. Playstation works great also. They love the bigger screen. The boys are VERY content on trips. Easier,cheaper, and removeable.

Merry Christmas!
Mike

Old 12-24-2003, 07:21 AM
ultraclassic
Senior User
I know it would be cool to have a built in DVD player. But by the time your done with it you will probably have over $1,000 invested
Why not get a portable personal DVD player. I have seen them now for about $200.
That way you could move it from vehicle to vehicle, use it outside of the vehicle, and take it on an airplane for inflight movies.
If you go camping it could be hooked up to your tv in your camper
Or if you have a tv in the garage (yes I do, thats where I smoke my cigars) you could hook it up there when the wife puts you out.
Just seems more practical to me to have a portable unit that you could get more use from than to hard mount a unit that can only be used in the truck and only when the kids are in the back on long trips

Old 12-24-2003, 07:59 AM
bstrom
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 04 F-350 crew cab and was faced with the same issue. After some research I decided that although some installers said they could mount a flip done DVD, I did'nt get a real comfortable feeling on exactly they were going to mount it. I have the leather one pc seats and decided to go with screens cut into the back of my head rests. Looks very, very clean and works fantastic. I also had a power converter wired in so I can plug in a PS2, DVD can be watched on one screen, games played on the other. Wirerless head phones are really great also. I previously did the less expensive route (12v tv/dvd) but with all the traveling we do, it got old putting all that stuff in and out of the rig.

Good luck,
Bill.

Old 12-24-2003, 11:05 AM
jeepgod
Junior User
ill try to post some pics here..

this is my friend's setup in his crew cab..

and here is just one i have found on the net..

Old 12-24-2003, 11:17 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Well, my buddy hasn't seen a SD with a sunroof yet.....

I found a post on another site that discussed putting one in a truck with the sunroof. The people there said that a 10.4" screen could be installed.....just screwed into the plastic headliner. Some worried that the weight of a bigger screen would be too much to support. Another guy said that he was going to put a 15.3" and that if the weight was too much he'd put a piece of mdf or plywood to screw it into for support.

Tvs in the headrest isn't hard to install and when they're done it will look great. I had a couple of 6.8" screens installed in the back of the seats of my sister's Durango and it works great for her kids (ages 2 & 4).

I'd say that with either a flip down or the tvs in the headrest it would be a good idea to put one up front too (either in dash flip out or one in the visor)...........that way you can see it when the dvd menu pops up so that you can hit enter to start the film.

Hope this helps.