Bio Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Dubra
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bio Diesel

Hey Guys.
I was on one of my local offroad sites and I read a post about a 'BioDiesel' that is better than regular diesel bought at the pumps. Can it be?
http://www.biodiesel.org/
Can someone elaberate? Opinions - anybody?
Dubra

Old 12-18-2003, 09:10 PM
MRZ
Junior User
Thumbs up

Good for the farmers- good for your pump- better lubricity...

my 2 cents

Old 12-19-2003, 12:11 AM
diesel-lady
Senior User
What I want to know is there really a net gain? Growing soybeans uses a lot of fuel, and petrochemical-based pesticides and fertilizers. Don't forget that farm machinery is completely exempt from emission standards, so they tend to be real stinkpots. You should see some of the 'coal-burners' in my neck o the woods. The skeptical side of me wonders if this isn't merely yet another agriculture subsidy, rather than something truly beneficial.

Old 12-19-2003, 05:37 AM
mhalter
Junior User
Growing soybeans uses a lot of fuel, and petrochemical-based pesticides and fertilizers.
Growing soybeans uses no more fuel, pesticides, and fertilizers than say growing corn or produce. There’s only so many acres that can be farmed, so farmers growing more soybeans than previous years isn't going to use more fuel, chemicals, and fertilizer because they would be cutting back on corn, wheat, produce, etc.

America's farmers could use the boost in price that biodiesel would bring. They are some of the lowest paid people around. Take the current price for soybeans for example. When my grandfather was farming (around the '60s), soybeans were around $13 per bushel. Nowadays they are around $7. Fuels, machinery, fertilize, everything cost more these days and the farmers are getting paid less. Does that make sense to you?

Wouldn't you want to support our economy by buying a product that was grown and made here instead of paying the yahoos over in the desert an outrageous price for oil?

Maybe it’s just me but I see no downside at all for using biodiesel and ethanol.

Old 12-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Dubra
Junior User
You all have made some good arguements here.
Submitting this post originally was not to start an all out war on the farmers,
But to get everyones opinions on whether or not this is a viable resource for us everyday users.
Our dependacy with oil producing contries and the ever strengthening anti semitism against the west has got me thinking.
"Is this something the world will be moving too?"
I would also want to here from everyone if this so called 'Bio Diesel' is any way harmfull to our engine
and if anyone has heard of people using this so far.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:37 PM
MRZ
Junior User

I seriously doubt that a farmer and his tractor produces more pollution then a city block of yuppies in their SUVs in one day. And there are a whole hellauva lot more yuppies out there.

And if you even stop to think of the return on inputs verses acre to produce bio diesel locally....

compared to the inputs required to pump it outa the ground in timbucktu, ship it halfway around the world, refine it, and distribute it- supertankers are not wind up toys and if you know how much they drink to travel a foot you would forgive the farmers DIESEL-LADY!!!!!

Dubra

biodiesel is available here in Kansas and there is also an ethanol plant not too far away. I have not run it in any of my equipment or truck not that I would not give the liberal **$%*#&% in Washington any less of the money they deserve by running farm diesel on the road, but others claim a slight increase in fuel mileage? and of course, they claim the stuff is real slippery so your motor should run longer.

my 2 cents

Old 12-20-2003, 04:41 AM
cartwright
Senior User
If you can find a restraunt that will give you their used fryer grease, you can make your own biodiesel for about $0.50 a gallon.

Old 12-20-2003, 04:48 AM
FyreLyter
Senior User
Will bio diesel mix with regular diesel you may get from your local fill up station?

Old 12-20-2003, 05:58 AM
cartwright
Senior User
Originally posted by FyreLyter
Will bio diesel mix with regular diesel you may get from your local fill up station?
YES

Old 12-20-2003, 04:14 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Dubra,
These links will probably give you the info you want:

http://www.biodiesel.org/

http://www.biodieselgear.com/documentation/index.htm

If you're still hungry for info, just do a web search. There's plenty more sites out there. R.A.

Old 12-20-2003, 05:31 PM
buschracer
Freshman User
i was watching a show the other night about a car that a guy run on this oil and they said the that the diesel engine was designed in the first place to run on vegtable oil!!! but then again that was way back when, now days i think that the diesel engine is built with the intent of burning diesel fuel in them, the "bio-diesel" may work but is it realy right ? just my opinion

Old 12-20-2003, 06:55 PM
stevie starr
New User
bio diesel

There is a really good websit, www.greasel.com,
that has a ton of information about running on used veggie oil. I think it is a great way to go and plan on doing a conversion this summer or next. From what I have read there are no harmful effects of using this stuff. In reply to your question about payback or tradeoff, unless you are using used oil I think it's an even trade.

Old 12-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Erickson
New User
Bio-diesel is a good way to go if you can find it cheaper than regular Diesel fuel. Research was done 20 + years ago at Berea College, Berea, Ky. and the stuff works with no ill effects on the engine. The problem is keeping it warm enough to work without getting thick (plugging up the system) I talked with a guy(in 2001) that had, in front of me, a TDI volkswagen that he ran on NON-hydrogenated cooking oil. He ran two fuel tanks and a 110v heater in the cooking oil tank (somehow) to keep that oil at 100-120 degrees. He used a screen to filter the clumps and fries out of the used cooking oil.

Chris