460 identification and carb ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 08:35 PM
ferrwrench
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 identification and carb ?'s

I have a 79 supercab w/ a 460, but the data tags say it came with a 400. How can I identify my engine and build date? Also I was given a Holley 850 DP, mech secondaries and was wondering if its too much carb for my truck? Or should I sell it and get a 750? Also...if it turns out that my engine is a later 460, about how much time am I looking at to swap the timing set, and new lifters, should I go ahead and get a mild truck cam (suggestions??) while I'm at it? With these few items what kind of an improvement am I looking at?

This truck is my daily driver, so down time is not an option..

thanks Chris

Old 12-09-2003, 12:33 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
The 850 is too much carb for a stock or mildly modified 460.

I'm not trying to be disrepectful, but if your level of extpertise is such that you're not familiar enough with the 460 to visually identify it, I don't know that I'd recommend changing the timing gear assembly on a daily driver where downtime is a critical factor. A cam/lifters change involves the timing gear assembly plus intake manifold, valve train, cam and lifters.

If you plan to go forward with modifications, I'd suggest getting a shop manual that will give you a better idea of what's involved and allow you to judge the time involved to do both procedures.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:14 PM
There Goes The Neighborhood
Elder User
Here are my suggestions, take them for what their worth. I agree that an 850 DP is too much, and that a 770 street avenger or 750 edelbrock are much better suited for daily driving. With a mild truck cam and the timing set thrown in, youre looking at an easy 35 to 40 hp, if not more.

Just my $.02.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:15 PM
ferrwrench
Junior User
I don't feel disrespected!! I am a Ferrari and Lamborghini mechanic, so we can have a discussion on level of expertise at a later date, but the meat of the matter is, is that I am new to big block Ford's, but what I do know is that the 460 and the 428(?) share the same look visually(?) except that the 460 has a different bolt pattern of the valve covers(if I'm not mistaken, that is why i'm asking, maybe I should have been clearer with my question) I know that the PO had monkeyed with the engine at one point, and actually ran it as a propane/pump gas truck, I know its a 460, but what I wanted to know more specifically is how can I tell what the build date is of the eng...?

As far as changing the timing gear and valve train, I just wanted to know a general timeline of what people have experienced when they have tackled their own trucks....and what I might need to budget as far as time goes...

Not only do I have repair manuals "expertise" and know how, but I have a technical knowledge of far more advanced systems than that of my 79 F250.....but in my defense of my ignorance of Ford products is that I am "new" to Ford engines, and mechanical history, also to working on american cars, Ive always owned VW, old BMW's, motorcycles etc..

so to make a long story even longer, my question was for those who were willing to pass on a little wisdom to a new guy. a little free advice if you will. not to assume one's ability or lack there of...

now if womeone want s to post a reply with a direct answer, or teach newbies a few tricks, then I'm all ears, if not then why waste my time...

....and if you want to talk expertise then drop me a line and I'll tell you all you want to know about beat valve guides into a 250 testarossa head, or rebuilding a 275 gearbox, or setting up 6 two barrell webers carbs on a vintage 12 cylinder.....

sorry for the long post Im tired.........

Old 12-10-2003, 08:20 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
My apology for not being familiar with your level of expertise. That was prompted by many threads on this forum of novices changing various components and having daily drivers towed to garages to get them running. I'm sure you can understand my caution.

To identify your engine, you’ll need the block casting number, above the starter on the bell housing, and the cylinder head casting numbers, located on the ridge just above the exhaust manifolds. Post them in a separate thread on the forum for ID.

I would estimate changing the timing gear assembly at six hours for the first time. The age of your truck may present additional problems in the form of a broken bolt(s) on the water pump. I would recommend changing the water pump while you’re in there as you’ll have it off the engine. There will be a definite improvement in performance, how many HP I don’t know. Going to an early timing gear to eliminate the retarded timing is the best single modification one can do to an otherwise stock or near stock 429/460.

Changing the cam and lifters will add will add another 6 hours as the intake manifold and valve train must be R&R’d in addition to the water pump and timing gear assembly. I’m not familiar with your truck, but add time if any front sheet metal such as the grill assembly must be removed to get the cam out.

I do not recommend going to an aftermarket cam on a 460 unless you plan to install full tube headers and an appropriate exhaust system. The 385 series head is the weak design point with restricted exhaust ports. I personally don’t consider the effort of replacing the cam worth the minor gain without addition of the headers and an aftermarket intake manifold to support the cam.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:28 PM
ferrwrench
Junior User
Hey thanks much.....C

Old 12-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Duthlerfordparts
Junior User
One thing to note, ferrwrench. I must correct you about the 428-460 relationship. I think the only parts they have in common are the dowel pins for the cylinder heads and for the transmission. The 429 and 460 are twins on the outside, though. Be careful when ordering parts, because even the 460 went through some changes over the years.

Old 12-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same opinion on reading your opening post. I thought you were not a Mechanic. Excuse me please.
George has all the good stuff on those numbers.

On those carbs, I read in the emissions manual there were only Three or possible four Carbs for the stock 460.
A Cal emissions, a Police Cal Emissions, an 'other than Cal' and possibly another Police Carb, or a Heavy truck/RV carb.
It's tough to read that emissions book so it's easy to get confused.
That may help in ID'n the Carb.
Those stock 460 carbs are bullet proof for the most part. The Auto choke will give you fits, but if you remove the Choke and soak it in Berrymans that will go away, so have confidence in the stock carb. You probably wont see much of an improvment with those big 'toilet bowl's' except a bigger gas bill.