What cam did you use? Comp, crane, lunati experiences...whatever lemme know..

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 02:42 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What cam did you use? Comp, crane, lunati experiences...whatever lemme know..

Well here we go again, I thought I was gonna go with the performer plus cam but just couldn't take the plunge, doesn't look like what I want. I know I asked this before, but have noticed more traffic and thought maybe I could get some fresh ideas or re assurance from those who've already posted. I have heard many many good things about the comp cam ...........until recently that is. I had my heart set on the extreme energy line, but after hearing many, many things that did not seem like an experience I wanted to go through, I am back to undecided. I heard all kinds of things about comp cam and lobes being wiped or sheared off, thinking it was a fluke I did a search. It came up more times than I would have liked to have seen. I know proper cam installation and break in is important, but the negative info I focused on was from actual machinist or engine builders, a local builder claims the comp cams are fine, but on the world wide web there is a different story. Torqueking, dw2455 and 71 swissaqua, I know you fellows love the comp so if you wanna reassure me then go for it, I will listen. I have seen the use of lunati and it went well, so who knows maybe a street anveger is in my future. Again any brands you may or may not like and why would be appreciated. Lemme know any thoughts. Thanks

Old 12-07-2003, 05:45 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
JW,

I don't recall what your engine is but I wanted to share this bit of information.

I used to hang over at the corral because I have an 86 Mustang GT. The experienced engine builders, the ones who do it for customers, came to the conclusion that the stock HO cam was the right cam even when you've modified your engine. The obvious exceptions would be for all out drag racing. Seems that roller cams do such a good job that changing cams doesn't make much difference.

The smart money gets spent on heads and headers. (And the smart money buys cheap GT40p heads and compatible headers.) After that, you're chasing small increases in HP with large dollars.

If you've already installed GT40p heads and headers, the next logical step is a TWEEKer to tune the computer.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:05 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i got a mellings cam

Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 PM
There Goes The Neighborhood
Elder User
if u change cams, go with a crane, comp, or anything BUT lunati. I've heard that lunatis are being torn up badly with less than 2000 miles on em, almost like the hardening process isn't working. Go with the edelbrock cam or a cam that is similar to it, as with the matching combo(intake, carb, cam, timing chain) it is a great power maker.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:34 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
pcmenten

I should have stated my engine. It is an 87 351w carbed non roller, non emissions, etc.. Performer intake and carb and headers at this point, I have the 3.55:1 gears and c6 tranny, 2wd. I plan on porting the stock heads, given what I have seen from the E7's, my E5's should be able to handle the low end get up that I am after, now I do plan on porting them, sometime. yeah I have heard the same thing as yourself, as far as, HO cams and roller setups, I have known a few roller 351w trucks to have liked the HO cam in their setups.

f100Guy

Do you have a link of the list of cams mellings offers?

theregoestheneighborhood

Weird, I hear the same problems about the comp cams that you described the lunati cams to have. I looked at the edelbrock cam and it just doesn't add anything under 3000rpm, I would like to pick something up there if I am going to do the change. So I guess that leaves crane, as not having any negative comments up to this point.

anyone

Anymore input, what about the use of crane cams? Any negative feedback. Any input appreciated, later

Last edited by jwtaylor; 12-08-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:41 AM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
A few years ago Comp Cams got a new engineer and they came out with a new selection of grinds. From what the magazine reviews showed, the grinds were a definite improvement. I'd use Comp for an off-the-shelf type of cam.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:23 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
I've never had anything but a Competition Cams, or stock Ford, so I can't really compare. Obviously the Comp Xtreme 250H was a monster TQ improvement over the stock F-100 grind, at the expense of a little fuel milage, but it was actually an improvement from a drivability standpoint. With 3.55's and a C6, it doesn't appear that you're too worried about fuel milage, so just go with an Xtreme 266. You might look into the Crane Powermax cams also, they seem comparable to the Xtreme Energy lineup. TK

Old 12-08-2003, 06:20 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Torqueking, pcmenten

Well another mystery to me maybe one of you fellows can shed some light. I may very well go with the XE266H it does put it right there on the edge of the factory springs but they are new, and should allow for some room for growth. Well with that said, I may not, here is why I am at a bit of a lose. Have either of you looked on the comp cam site at the dyno graph of the XE cams in a 350? They compare each or at least install each in a similar motor, the graphs are very close. Have either of you noticed that? Maybe I missed something or should have looked closer, but that seemed odd to me. Lemme know something, no mileage is of no concern right now. later

Old 12-08-2003, 06:23 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
call this number for mellings tool company jwtaylor. 1 800 777 8172 i have the mtf-1 cam. has anybody ever heard or used a mellings cam. i have one and it is giving me great performance. but still need an aftermarket stall

Old 12-08-2003, 08:54 PM
78ford100
Junior User
I have a Comp Cams torker cam and its eating distributor gears...

Old 12-09-2003, 05:18 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
CompCam 268 cam/lifter kit in my SB. Love it! Install went smoothly; runs great!

Daryl

Old 12-09-2003, 09:49 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
You're asking for problems by putting an XE cam with stock valvesprings. It WILL float above 5,000 RPM. You can't compare lift strait across the board from cam to cam, as the XE cams and Crane's Powermax cams have much steeper lobes, and will accelerate the valve much faster. This does induce greater airflow through the valves, but it also requires more spring force to control the motion than would a less aggressive lobe pitch. TK

Old 12-09-2003, 10:43 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Torqueking

yeah I gotchya on the springs. I recall talking to someone and they were getting valve float with one of the milder XE cams. I don't plan on seeing 5000rpms but I would like to get a cam now that would work great now and should I upgrade the springs, port, or whatever have some room for growth, know what I mean? Another reason for going with the larger cam would be the graph on the comp cam site itself, the torque is almost identical for the first 4, or so, grinds (this is also considering the 351 might react similarly to the cams as the 350, maybe it would maybe it wouldn't). I could look at it as, why go bigger if they are all the similar. Or might as well get the larger grind and hope to gain an additional 10 hp/tq, the curves are very similar so putting it out of the powerband, so to speak, wouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts on why all the graphs appear similar, using different grinds? Lemme know something, I am gonna discuss this until I am satisfied or everyone gets tired of it. Later

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/DynoSheets/

Old 12-09-2003, 10:46 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
DS59F100

Did you go with the spring kit as well? If not, which brand springs did you go with? What heads are you using? Later

Old 12-09-2003, 12:59 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Originally posted by 78ford100
I have a Comp Cams torker cam and its eating distributor gears...
is that a roller cam if it is you need a steel distributor gear. call comp cams and tell them what you have and then ask what distributor gear you need

Quick Reply: What cam did you use? Comp, crane, lunati experiences...whatever lemme know..