Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 09:51 PM
Drizzt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a 99 F-150 with a 4.2 and had heard somewhere that the engine was the same as the 3.8 used in the supercoupes, and it was just stroked to 4.2L. Now is there any truth to this rumour? I am also interested in what internals these engines have (hyperutectic, Forged, Cast, etc). As of right now im not looking for more power or anything like that, im just trying to do some research into this engine. I have a had a long and lustrous career with the 2.3L lima block and now apparently im moving on to something else any comments are appreciated

p.s. thanks in advance for welcoming me to the borad

Old 12-05-2003, 02:23 AM
V6Mustang
Senior User
Welcome to FTE, I'm a newbie myself, actually I'm just spying to see what you 4.2 guys are up to.

The motor in the T-Bird supercoupes is the same as your 4.2 EXCEPT the heads and intakes are a different design. They are interchangeable, but the T-Bird has a single intake runner and the 4.2 (and new 3.8's) have a dual intake runner.

I know the earlier pistons were hyperteutic, and I'm pretty sure they haven't changed them (they're definitely not forged, although if you have the money you can get some).
The crank and I believe the con rods are cast steel
Iron bock, aluminum heads, ...and a partridge in a pear tree

Old 12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Cam also I believe I hear that alot so I guess it may be true. but as far as getting headers and all I do not know if tehre are 4.2 specific, if you cannnot find somehting for the truck, research under the 3.8

Old 12-05-2003, 11:41 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
From what I understand, headers are kind of specific. Long tubes need modications, but not sure if shorty's are universal.

Garrett

Old 12-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Yeah, but they can be modded...better than having to have a full set custom built? or do we have our own headers? It sucks that we are in such a small market for performance goodies.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:30 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
JBA makes headers for the 4.2, no modification required. Bout 6 hour install

Garrett

Old 12-05-2003, 05:58 PM
V6Mustang
Senior User
How did we get on the subject of headers??

Anyway, horizonhuskies is right. JBA makes headers for the 4.2L F-Series pickup except the Super Duty (according to their site).
Click on the application guide and it's a little bit more than halfway down the list. They aren't cheap, but they're good quality

Old 12-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Drizzt
Senior User
thanks guys... so if you wanted to use a SC from a super coupe you would have to change the intake, heads, and computer?

Old 12-06-2003, 02:48 AM
V6Mustang
Senior User
Originally posted by Drizzt
thanks guys... so if you wanted to use a SC from a super coupe you would have to change the intake, heads, and computer?
It's not as easy as it sounds. It would be easier to buy a whole SC motor and swap it in. The heads and the intakes are the main differences, but there are numerous smaller differences (such as the style of some electrical connections have changed since the SC's were produced, fuel injector spacing is different, etc.) I *think* you can use your stock computer, but it has to be reflashed.

If you really are curious about this swap I suggest you read through this to get an idea of what is involved. Of course, some of the things are different since that article is directed towards Mustangs, but you get the idea. Also, if you have any detailed questions you should email the guy who wrote that article. His name is Jamie, he's a really cool guy, and he knows a TON of stuff about the T-Bird SC motor swap.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:06 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Actually no, you go to Trixters Racing in Texas and order one like I did. Ask for Derek, hes a great guy.

Or, you can go to got-pressure.com and get info there. If interested, my email is posted. If youve got questions, Ive got plenty of time.

You do not need another motor. You do not need another intake or anything. You do not need your ECU reflashed, or a custom chip burned. All you need is this kit. If you want to maximize the power from it, you should get a chip. This kit is put out by Trixters, and the head unit is by Vortech. It is engineered to work without upgrades, a true bolt on. Trust me, Ive been researching this for months.

Garrett

Old 12-10-2003, 02:19 AM
V6Mustang
Senior User
I wasn't aware that Vortech made an eaton/roots type supercharger for split port V6's. If someone already makes one then I know of a bunch of V6 Mustang guys who will be interested.

However, if you're speaking about a centrifugal type supercharger (not the kind on the T-Bird SC) then yeah you don't need a new motor, intakes, etc. If you wanna make some good power (300+ to the wheels, you're gonna need a good tune)
This guy specifically asked about the T-Bird SC though, which looks like this:
T-Bird Supercoupe motor

Centrifugal:
Vortech SC

Old 12-10-2003, 05:22 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Yes I was talking centrifical. And no, Vortech does not make a roots style SC.

Another advantage of the Vortech, there is no need to reflash your ECU or have a chip. It is made to go on a completely stock vehicle.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:01 AM
V6Mustang
Senior User
What is included in this "kit"? You've got me curious now

I know quite a few V6 Mustangs who have gone POP with Vortech SC's. How much boost do you plan on running?
The "standard" upgrade list for V6 Mustangs with a Vortech SC is: Larger fuel pump, higher flowing fuel injectors, MAF, either a chip or reflashed EEC, and an 8.8 rear end.
Obviously the larger pump and injectors are used because the more air you force into the engine the more fuel you're gonna need to keep your a/f ratio acceptable. Alot of guys go with 30#ers, 36 and 42's are also popular. Stock is 21lbs/hour
Most guys also get a new MAF and get it calibrated correctly in the EEC. Running too much boost will "peg" the stock MAF, you'll run lean, and bye bye pistons.
The chip will optimize your a/f ratio throughout the RPM band. Some places reflash the EEC, it's all basically the same thing. It's best to get all this done on a dyno so they can tune according to how your car runs specifically.
The 8.8 isn't needed, unless you do a lot of drag racing. The 7.5 isn't a bad rear and I've seen a couple 300+ rwhp guys make many passes down the track with the stock 7.5. But on the other hand I've also see a few break in cars with minor bolt ons. Again though if you don't drag race/make hard launches you should be good.
I'm not trying to say that this place doesn't know what they're doing, or that you haven't researched enough. I'm just a curious fellow auto enthusiast who is just trying to see if what I have learned can help you in anyway from having to get your car towed because something went POP. We can take this to email or AIM if you'd like, but I'm sure some of these guys would also like to read the "inner details" of getting force fed

P.S. I usually see those upgrades on cars running 10psi of boost or more, although it wouldn't hurt on less psi. The car pictured above with the Vortech SC runs 18psi :-staun

Old 12-11-2003, 07:00 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Are you comin to H-town with us V6Stang?

Old 12-11-2003, 11:54 AM
V6Mustang
Senior User
Originally posted by Jimmy Dean
Are you comin to H-town with us V6Stang?
H-Town is a long haul from Cincinnati, Ohio!!! Plus I just started a new job and I doubt I can get the time off. Maybe if you guys decide to go again another time. I've been to dragstrips all over the Midwest and New England, I don't mind the long hauls (heck I used to drive a truck!), but I can't do it this time. Thanks for asking though!

Quick Reply: Newbie