1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about "courtesy" lights..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 06:25 PM
because
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-02-2003, 02:29 PM
DenverYZF
Freshman User

My truck is an early (10/15/98)'99 F250 SD, XLT, SuperCab, 4x4, PSD, Long bed and I noticed that the little red lights in the door don't come on at all. When I popped the lens out there was no light socket in the hole.
Was this light an option depending on year and trim package? Do I need to take the door panel off to take a look inside the door? Not a big deal, but I'm curious and don't wanna take the door apart if I don't have to!

Thanks guys.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:33 PM
fsnco1
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-03 AT 03:35 PM (EST)]I posted this without really reading your message. So there isn't a socket for lights? Is the a place where it looks like one used to be or is it just a cover with nothing underneath?

Old 01-02-2003, 02:56 PM
tankhead
Elder User

I have the same ones and I went through all the options on the early 1999 ( mine was manuf. 4/98) and ordered about every one so its not there. My guess is reflector lenses.

Old 01-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Waxy
Postmaster

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-03 AT 04:38 PM (EST)]>My guess is reflector lenses.

Your guess would be correct. It does not light up in any SD, regardless of year or options as far as I know. I think it's strictly a reflector to add some degree of visibility as to warn others that your door is open. I agree though, it would be nice of it had a bulb in it.

Waxy

Old 01-02-2003, 03:24 PM
wgw
Senior User

My 99 and 00 PSD CC have front door reflectors with the lights in them. The rear doors do not have lights but just the reflectors. I have put lights in the rear doors of my 99 PSD. When I first got my 99 PSD the bulbs were not in the sockets but the sockets were in place. A few of my friends that ordered the 99 SD like I did when they came out have the lighted front door. I dont know why you wouldnt have this but I have seen stranger items on the Super Dutys as we all have that should have been in place from the factory.:-X23

Old 01-02-2003, 04:38 PM
tankhead
Elder User

Hell. i don't know. Never checked til now. Took the rears off. nothing underneath but the head of screw and a hole. Took the front ones off have the same screw but also have the sockets but no lights. I still have the otion sheet w/ all the order codes for when I ordered my truck. Got me. I wonder if I can claim missing parts? Seems like it was work-in-process at that time.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Y2K350
Elder User

Mine has em. Build date was feb 00.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:41 PM
jlande
Senior User

>Was this light an option depending on year and trim package?
>Do I need to take the door panel off to take a look inside
>the door? Not a big deal, but I'm curious and don't wanna
>take the door apart if I don't have to!
>
>Thanks guys.

I have a '02 F350 with the lariat package and I do have white door lights right next to a set of red reflectors.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Waxy
Postmaster

What the HE Double hockey stick?

I've never seen an SD with the courtesy lights that actually "light". I guess I'll check mine to see if all I need is a bulb.

I stand corrected.

Waxy

Old 01-02-2003, 06:49 PM
wgw
Senior User

>What the HE Double hockey stick?
>
>I've never seen an SD with the courtesy lights that actually
>"light". I guess I'll check mine to see if all I need is a
>bulb.
>
>I stand corrected.
>
>Waxy

Hey Waxy probably what happened is some Ford bean counter was on the assembly floor and calculated that each one of the courtesy lights was costing $2.05 and decided on mine during assembly to at least save Ford 50 cents by not installing the bulbs. Then I think it may have gone down hill from there.

I hope no takes offense to this but all Ford bean counters should be for some of their cost savings to the end users. If we want it we will pay for it make it an option. Example would be a Pyro, Turbo and Trans gauge package for the F250 and F350.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

Have a Happy New Year

Old 01-02-2003, 07:17 PM
cowboyup2000
New User

The lights in my door do light up (10/99 SC Lariat). After it got out of the shop for some repairs after an accident, i noticed that the drivers side light was all red. I never noticed that before so i checked the passenger side. When in the shop they replaced this light cover, because the passenger side is white and red. I'm thinking that he put on one of the newer styled red covers. So I take it that the older SD's have a red and white lens and light up, and the new ones have the newer red lens which now only reflects. How much is Ford really saving by not giving you guys a light? But then, mine really comes in handy when I want to read stuff down by the doorsill.

Shawn

Old 01-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Y2K350
Elder User

Mine is red and lights up. It came that way.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:04 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, you guys convinced me, I just went out to look at my door lights. And yes, they DO light up. NOT the red reflector, but the clear light next to the red reflector. But they DO light up.

huh, this is odd . . . . .

Old 01-02-2003, 11:49 PM
DenverYZF
Freshman User

Mine has the red reflectors and there is a hole on the door panel where a light socket should go. It doesn't look like there ever was one installed and I didn't know if there should be one.........HMMMMM!!!????

I really didn't think about this until I opened the door on a '02 SC at the dealer and VOILA.....the red reflector lit up! When I got home I popped the lens out to find a hole where I expected to find a light bulb!

I'm tempted to pull the door panel just to see if the wiring is present. I love lifes little mysteries!!

Quick Reply: Question about "courtesy" lights..