Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Filter and Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:44 AM
spitball
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filter and Oil

Just wanting to check a poll on the filter and oil everyone has been using. I checked the bob the oil guy site, and Fram seemed OK but wanted to get a some opinions on it. Thanks

Old 11-17-2003, 10:02 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been several threads on this very subject the past couple of weeks. Do a search and I'm sure you'll get more opinion than you could ever want.

Here's the condensed version:

Filter - you will see a lot of Fram-bashing. I think they're fine (especially the one for the newer Power Strokes). General consensus is Wix/Napa Gold are good, so is Motorcraft.

Oil - Conventional oil users use either Rotella (my choice) or Delo for the most part. Synthetic users generally pick Delvac 1, don't use Amsoil unless you have money to burn.

The bottom line is to change it when you're supposed to and you will have good results.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:47 AM
kehale
Senior User
Motorcraft FL1995 (from Walmart) $9.97

Chevron Delo 400 15-40 from Costco. $32.00 / 6 gallons.

They've worked for me.

I do oil testing every 10k miles (with oil changes every 5k miles) and every thing is looking good.

-T

Old 11-17-2003, 11:02 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Purolator Premium - $2.99 (Sears) MC filters are made by Purolator.

Tractor Supply 15w-40 - $0.97/qt.

or

Walmart SuperTech 15w-40 - $1.14/qt.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Originally posted by jschira
Purolator Premium - $2.99
That's for the big Power Stroke filter - same as the FL1995? Wow - that's cheap!!

Old 11-17-2003, 11:40 AM
kehale
Senior User
I just feel better using the motorcraft filter (FL1995). The injectors do use engine oil in their operation and those injectors are expensive.

I don't like to fight with F*rd.
-T

Old 11-17-2003, 11:52 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Purolator is owned by ArvinMeritor (they also own Gabriel shocks). Chances are pretty good that the black OEM oil filter that came on your PSD new is a Purolator product.

Here are some sound bites from their website:

ArvinMeritor is the industry leader in manufacturing and distribution of original equipment automotive filtration products. Numerous OEM customers have presented us with awards for our leadership contributions in the area of environmentally friendly automotive filtration products. ArvinMeritor's dedicated prototype shop and leading test laboratory help assure our OEM customers the best in full range automotive filtration products available worldwide.

ArvinMeritor filtration systems provide oil, air, fuel, transmission, cabin air and oil cooler products.
Purolator is a primary brand name of ArvinMeritor Light Vehicle Aftermarket (LVA), a global automotive aftermarket group providing exhaust, lift support, filter and ride control products to its customers. In North America, ArvinMeritor LVA markets its products under the Arvin®, StrongArm®, Supreme Performance™, Gabriel® and Purolator® brand names, as well as various private labels, to the full range of filter OE and OES customers as well as aftermarket customers including retailers, distributors and installers. ArvinMeritor LVA is headquartered in Brentwood, Tenn., and is a division of ArvinMeritor Inc. Purolator’s primary manufacturing and distribution center is located in Fayetteville, N.C.
TROY, Mich. (Sept. 26, 2003) — ArvinMeritor, Inc. (NYSE: ARM) announced today that, for the second year in a row, its Purolator business received the prestigious Toyota Quality Alliance Platinum Award from Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

Toyota uses rigorous standards when measuring suppliers. Performances are judged in product quality, operational quality and product support throughout the year. Purolator received a 100-percent rating during the review period of June 2002 to July 2003, qualifying the business for the award.

Last edited by jschira; 11-17-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:58 AM
kehale
Senior User
Purolator is owned by ArvinMeritor ...Chances are.....
Hey, a little hard work never killed anyone...but I'm not taking any chances. lol
-T

Old 11-17-2003, 12:10 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally posted by kehale
Hey, a little hard work never killed anyone...but I'm not taking any chances. lol-T
OK. You just made me look a little harder.

Here you go:

Troy, Mich., (March 26, 2001) - ArvinMeritor (NYSE:ARM) announced today that its Purolator Division received Ford Motor Company’s Gold World Excellence Award, recognizing the company as one of its top suppliers in the world for performance during 2000.

The Annual World of Excellence Award is based on quality, cost and delivery metrics jointly developed by Ford and its suppliers. Thirty-eight suppliers from 14 countries won awards in various categories. The Gold World Excellence Award is given to business units of suppliers that excel in all three metric areas. Seventeen suppliers won the Gold Award this year, an increase over last year’s 11 winners.

“Congratulations to ArvinMeritor,” said Carlos Mazzorin, Ford Motor Company’s group vice president of global purchasing and South America. “ArvinMeritor is one of Ford’s most valuable assets. Without its extraordinary contributions, we could not have achieved many of our goals in 2000.”

“We are honored that ArvinMeritor’s Purolator Division was chosen by Ford Motor Company to receive the prestigious Gold World Excellence Award,” said Bill Hunt, president and vice chairman, ArvinMeritor. “I am proud of our team’s efforts to receive the highest supplier award given this year by Ford Motor Company.”

ArvinMeritor’s Purolator Division is the industry leader in the manufacture and distribution of aftermarket filter products and original equipment (OE) automotive filtration products. Purolator is Ford’s single source supplier of air, fuel, and oil filters and supplies direct to all Ford dealerships, authorized distributors, international distribution operations, and special markets at over 99 percent availability within 48 hours. The business is comprised of seven manufacturing and distribution facilities positioned throughout the world to provide global just-in-time coverage.
So your MC FL-1995 oil filter is just a Purolator with different printing.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:15 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Yep - already knew that. What I didn't know was that Sears had them for $2.99. If they do, that is waaaayyyyy less than anywhere else.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:23 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally posted by oppy
Yep - already knew that. What I didn't know was that Sears had them for $2.99. If they do, that is waaaayyyyy less than anywhere else.
Apparently, Sears prices all of it filters the same. Everything is $2.99. Stupid Sears.

I say "apparently" because my Sears is in the Mall. I won't go near that Mall, so I've never actually been in the Sears. I send wifey.

Same with oil at Tractor Supply. In gallon jugs, 15w-40 diesel oil is $1.50/qt. But ALL of its quart bottles are $1.02 ea.

They even give you a 5% discount for buying more than 10 bottles.:

Last edited by jschira; 11-17-2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:57 PM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
OK. You just made me look a little harder.

Here you go:

But that doesn't necessarily mean that MC branded filter is manufactured to the same specs as the Purolater branded filter, does it?

Of course, it may be.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:12 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally posted by HerbertKornfeld
But that doesn't necessarily mean that MC branded filter is manufactured to the same specs as the Purolater branded filter, does it?

Of course, it may be.
Absolutely correct. The Walmart MC filter could be spec'd differently from the Purolator. For example, the filter media can be different.

Here is what Purolator says about its premium oil filters:

Features:

1. Corrosion-proof paint

2. Steel Center Tube - provides support to the filtering media

3. Combination Anti-Drain and By-Pass Valve - assures adequate oil flow on startup and continued flow when the filter becomes saturated with contaminants. (On applications as required by the vehicle manufacturer.)

4. Extra strong Threaded Baseplate - added strength and easy installation.

5. Nitrile rubber compound Sealing Gasket - constant seal

6. Steel Body Steel Filter Housing - individually pressure tested after assembly. Purolator non-terne plated steel filters are not onsidered hazardous waste.

7. PremiumPLUS Filtering Media - removes 10-20 micron-sized particles under actual driving conditions.

Every Purolator filter meets or exceeds engine manufacturers' requirements and satisfies new vehicle warranties when installed according to instructions. Purolator warrants its products against defects in materials and workmanship.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:33 PM
so2315
Senior User
Can you use Valvoline 15W40 or does it have to be a "Diesel" oil?

Old 11-17-2003, 01:36 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
It has to be rated CH-4 or better yet, CI-4.

15w-40 is a widely used diesel weight. So anything that is 15w-40 is likely to be diesel rated.

Look on the bottle. If it says CH-4 or CI-4, you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Filter and Oil