General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Painting teens room

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 07:04 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Painting teens room

Hey all.
My teen wants her room painted, and she wants stars, with glow in the dark things any ideas? She also wants to put up black lights to make things glow, like painted on moons, stars, space things. I could use help with this one. Any recomended colors, types of paint etc. I would like to paint next week.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:26 PM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen rooms like these on my home magazines. I thnk you can probably find everything you need in home depot. The walls and ceiling can be a subdued blue, and then for the stars you can use plain white paint if she is going to want the black light. Or if you are using regular lighting in the room, there is a special glow in the dark paint you can buy at most craft stores. When the lights are off, the painted shapes really glow bright. Also if you don't want to bother painting the stars, they also sell plastic shapes that you stick to the ceiling with two sided tape. Either way it sounds like a fun room.
Good luck and have fun!

Old 11-09-2003, 07:32 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Yea !! Great idea!

In fact I have a starscape painted from Wal-mart materials on my ceiling.

I painted the room conventionally and used the "glows (pretty bright!) in the dark paint". It's virtually invisible during the day on a lighter colored ceiling.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:45 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
(Other Bower here)
I did my room this way once. I used midnight purple paint for the ceiling, trim, and doors, then painted the walls a very light almost-white with a pink tint. I used glow in the dark cosmic stickers and painted a castle/night sky scene on the door. Best part: painted the ceiling fan to match and stuck stars on it, so at night I had comets going around over my head. It was a neat effect, especially with the ex-boyfriend's Star Trek models hanging from the ceiling.
If you have an A.C. Moore craft store near you, they have all kinds of stickers and sticky plastic stars. I think Spencers Gifts has them too.
Another neat idea- if you use dark paint anywhere, get a couple bottles of silver and gold model paint. Shake them then nail a tiny hole in the cap. You can sling them on the dark paint and the splatter effect is great. (Instead of putting holes in the caps, you can also use a stiff brush and a piece of window screen for the splatters, but it's a little messier.) Just some thoughts.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:28 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Smile

Thanks for the tips, they all sound cool. I found a few sites on the net that sells the glow paint. I think this is going to be fun, even though i dont like to paint. I will run these by my daughter on monday. Thanks

Old 11-10-2003, 08:10 PM
maa139
Posting Guru
Bosshoss - One question....why are YOU painting her room? I hope that you are at least getting some help from your daughter.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:34 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
O-yea I am not doing this alone. It is said we need to do more together, well here is a chance . She is looking forward to it, and i am to. I just to keep telling myself, self it is not as bad as it seems.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
My son & I did the same thing to his room years ago. Choose the color based on the room size. For a small room, you don't want to go too dark. Then get the plastic glow-in-the-dark Stars & Planets that attach with a putty. His mood for this decor only lasted a little over 6 months so it was easy to remove the stars and the putty stuck real well but still was easy to remove. Plus, it's much easier to stick them and move them around than it is to paint something in place.

Here's a link to the Stars I'm talking about, but you can get them at most toy stores and science stores. Don't get the colored ones, they didn't glow as good as the basic white ones.

http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/GlowInTheDark/

Oh Yeah, it even looked good in the dard with white walls & ceiling (he decided he didn't want to help paint.)

Last edited by Carlene; 11-10-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:42 AM
stupato
Senior User
fyi...some liquid laundry detergents glow with black lights...if you use gloss/semi-gloss paint on the walls...you can use it as a big message board...when she gets bored of it...she can just wipe it down with a wet rag and put something new up

Old 11-11-2003, 05:59 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
WOW Thats cool. There were years when we told her not to write on the wall, but now she can and clean them too. This is awsome.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I didn't read every posts so I don't know if anyone mentioned Flat Base paint colours as opposed to high lustre,Semi-gloss,etc.

I had my room done up in the psychedelic (sp) days of the 60's.

Cool idea.

Something I'm going to do in my TV room at the new house I bought ,will be a clear night sky theme using black ceiling tiles with different size holes poked through all the way over the whole ceiling area,with a string or two of mini christmas lights up in behind twinkling away,giving the appearance of Stars twinkling in a black sky at night.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:33 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
I stoped by the paint section on the way home tonight. My daughter wants a dark color, but i told her we would have to meet in the middle i think. She wants the glow in the dark paint and stars, and a black lights for her posters and art work. I like the idea of the night sky thing. Sounds like a good place to chill out, and enjoy the seen. I would put in a good sound system, and some instrumentel music and enjoy. Ahhhh Go for it Dennis.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The TV room will be the home of a Big Screen TV & a high powered theatre sound, Just Like I have in the basement right now, that has to be dismantled this week.

Old 11-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Bruin52
Elder User
Man, I crashed in a room one night that had those glow in the dark stars attached to the blades of the ceiling fan right above the bed. Kind of cool until the night you come home a little sloshed after a hard night out and the fan is on high. WOW!

Old 11-12-2003, 08:01 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
I still like the dark paint on the ceiling. It makes the room look like the roof is off at night, and makes it feel open...sleeping under the stars...wish it wasn't too cold to go camping...think I'll go outside for a bit.

Quick Reply: Painting teens room