1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Removing head with exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 05:11 PM
murder4hire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing head with exhaust manifold?

I have a '92 Ranger 4.0 V6. Can I remove the left head without taking the exhaust manifold off? I stripped 2 of the bolts on the manifold and I'm gonna just try and take the head off with the manifold attatched, then fix it once it's all out. The Haynes manual says to take the manifold off, then take the heads off, but it seems like I can take it all out at once.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it looks like you have enough clearance to pull them out together, give'er.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:17 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
I'll second that. Lift that sucker.

. . be sure to look for bolts under the manifold first. I have ~no idea~ whether there are any or not.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:46 PM
murder4hire
Senior User
There are, and I got all the bolts off the right manifold off. Its just dangling there now. And on the left one, I got the 2 bolts closest to the front of the engine out, and the next two(above and below manifold) are stripped. The back two I am not going to even attempt to get out, I'm just gonna try put pull it all out.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:55 AM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
(giggle) I was referring to *head bolts*.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 PM
murder4hire
Senior User
Oh, I was kinda wondering why you were talking about the exhaust manifold bolts, I mean they arent too hard to find.

Old 11-07-2003, 07:28 PM
murder4hire
Senior User
OK, I have the heads off now, but I dont really know what to look for exactly. What should I look for on the actualy gasket before I take it off to make sure it is the gasket that's problem?

Old 11-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checking the gasket carefully may point out the problem. Check the head for any cracks anywhere, even real tiny ones.

Old 11-07-2003, 08:37 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
You should be able to see on the gasket where water passages are sealed and where the cylinder it's self is sealed by "crush marks" indendented into the gasket. Additionally I guess, you could see an oil passage or two - I'm not sure, but it will be evident.

What you are looking for *if* the gasket has failed is a breach in the sealing "ring" around any given passageway (for lack of a better term). If coolant was getting in the cylinder, there will be a "gap" connecting some water passage to the cylinder. if exhaust was leaking into the crankcase, that gap will be between the cylinder and the edge of the gasket. Get the idea?

It should be fairly evident if the gasket has indeed failed because of errosion of the gasket material too I would think . . . .

HTH

Old 11-08-2003, 12:31 AM
murder4hire
Senior User
Thanks, I'll look at it and check for anything tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2003, 08:08 PM
murder4hire
Senior User
Well, I been looking at it, and so have some other people and its not blown. I also had someone look at the block, and its not cracked. The problem in the first place was that it was losing water constantly, and a shop said it was the head gasket that was blown. I asked someone and they said there is probably something wrong with the water pump. Is this a possibility?

Old 11-13-2003, 08:36 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
murder4hire,

with all due respect, if that "someone" wasn't using magnaflux in their inspection, it should not be relied on too quickly.

If they are knowledgeable about ~reliable~ inspection for such cracks, they will back me up on that assertion.

If water was disappearing into your oil pan, I would sooner take the odds on getting hit by lightening twice on the same day than the water pump being the cause of it.

FWIW.

(ON EDIT: "CRASH - BOOM!, CRASH - BOOM!)

Originally posted by murder4hire
Well, I been looking at it, and so have some other people and its not blown. I also had someone look at the block, and its not cracked. The problem in the first place was that it was losing water constantly, and a shop said it was the head gasket that was blown. I asked someone and they said there is probably something wrong with the water pump. Is this a possibility?

Old 11-13-2003, 10:19 PM
murder4hire
Senior User
Why exactly is the water pump so out of the question? Because I dont even know if water was even in the oil. I mean, I drained the oil and it was black. I dunno if that was because it was sitting for 4 years, or if its because there was no water in there in the first place.

Last edited by murder4hire; 11-13-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:29 AM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by murder4hire
Why exactly is the water pump so out of the question? Because I dont even know if water was even in the oil. I mean, I drained the oil and it was black. I dunno if that was because it was sitting for 4 years, or if its because there was no water in there in the first place.
Ouch!

If there was water in it, it would still be there (in some form) and the oil would not be black.

I tried to convey that if there was water *in the oil* that chances are very remote that the water pump was responsible for it. The water pump can very well be the cause of water lost from the cooling system in general.

So far other than loosing water, you have yet to mention the symptoms that caused you to pull the heads in the first place. If you would share those, perhaps we can get a better feel for what you are up against and make some appropriate suggestions.

HTH.

Old 11-14-2003, 10:40 PM
murder4hire
Senior User
See, thats my problem in the first place, I dont exactly know what the symptoms are because I didnt get the truck until it was broke down. My mom bought the truck likw 4 years ago or so, and was planning on getting it fixed but never got around to it. She said I can have it if I want to fix it, so I said ya. From what I hear, it was losing water, but none was leaking so I figured it was the head gasket, as did the shop that it was taken to before my mom got it. So the fact that it was losing water, none was leaking, there is no water in the oil, and the head gasket is not blown, I'm kinda lost.

Quick Reply: Removing head with exhaust manifold?