Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL in radiator HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2000, 03:41 PM
florinsf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a1989 Ford F100 4x4 super cab 5.0
I started my engine and I have oil in the radiator(looks like transmision oil) I dont know what to do next?
thank you

Old 06-13-2000, 04:54 PM
berso
Junior User

STOP the truck before you hurt your trans. take it to a radiator shop to get the radiator fixed, cause it have a hole on the tube where the tranny fluid runs, so if you have oil in the water you must have water into your trans, after your radiator is fix, change the trany fluid, and pray....good luck

Old 06-13-2000, 07:56 PM
Katt
Senior User

I would do everything said above, and then after the radiator is fixed take it down to a tranny shop to have it professionally flushed.
Good Luck!

Old 06-13-2000, 09:05 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another idea that is feasible is to install a trans cooler . Transmissions that have their own cooler run better if they dont have to share heat exchanges with the engine cooling system . Most are easily installed and your current problem wont be repeared in the future .
Paul

Old 06-13-2000, 10:01 PM
Torky
Senior User

If this happened to me at home, this is what I would do. First need to find out if it really is a water to oil leak in the trans cooler inside the radiator. Need to do this without running engine any more. Don't want A/F in the A/T! Radiators are cheap compared to trans!
I would disconnect both cooler lines at the radiator, and have something ready to plug the lowest line, something like a golf tee, can tape it on to tubing. Then fill radiator to about an inch from the top. Then pressureize the radiator through the cap opening. Not a whole lot, one of those electric tire pumps will work, use a wet rag to get neck to seal tight enough. If there is a leak in the internal trans cooler, antifreeze should now start coming out of one of the cooler fittings on the radiator. If not, then its not A/T oil, maybe blown head gasket. If it is the cooler, I wouldn't drive it. Tow it, or fix radiator yourself, then drain A/T pan and torque converter, blow out a line or two while you have it apart. The A/T is the most expensive car part to fix, so baby it! Anyway, thats what I would do.

Old 06-14-2000, 12:03 AM
florinsf
New User

Thank You for the advice you are right I will do as you say

Old 06-14-2000, 09:06 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts