Sponsored by: DP Tuner

water pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Larry Heath
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water pump failure?

I run a stock 96 PSD. Just what is typical for a water pump failure? I was doing my oil/filter and fuel filter change this morning and discovered what felt like clean clear oil dripping off the front of the oil pan, next I discover the coolant level is a good bit down. I towed up to the track last week and noticed some sort of oily spatter on the tung of the trailer, I crawled around under the truck and couldn't find any obvious signes of leakage. Are these typical water pump failure signs?

1. Just how big a pain in the neck is it to change one of these pumps? I am basicly lazy, I can walk right up to the race car and work on it thats ok , but do I have to take half the front end of the truck apart to get at the water pump?

2. can I get a pump from anyone except Ford or IH and would I want to, i.e. can I go to AutoZone or someone like that and get a quality part that will last

3? How big a mess is drainging the coolant system going to be i.e. do I need to catch this stuff to keep from having a local envyromental disaster?

4. What is the best coolant to use to replace it and what sort of additives do I need to use to keep out of coolant system cavatation problems?

Thanks for the help.
Later Larry

Old 11-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
1. Just how big a pain in the neck is it to change one of these pumps? I am basicly lazy, I can walk right up to the race car and work on it thats ok , but do I have to take half the front end of the truck apart to get at the water pump?
Replacement is typical of any other water pump. If it helps, pretend it's on your race car. You will need a special tool to remove the fan, but a few auto parts houses will let you "borrow" one, as long as you're buying the new water pump from them.
can I get a pump from anyone except Ford or IH and would I want to, i.e. can I go to AutoZone or someone like that and get a quality part that will last
A lot of guys get their replacement water pumps from Autozone, and they're one of the places that have the fan removal wrench.
How big a mess is draining the coolant system going to be i.e. do I need to catch this stuff to keep from having a local envyromental disaster?
You've got a fairly large capacity cooling system, so to be environmentally conscious, you should catch it, and either re-use the coolant, or at least dispose of it properly.
What is the best coolant to use to replace it and what sort of additives do I need to use to keep out of coolant system cavatation problems?
You can get coolant from an International dealer that already has the additive in it, but I prefer to add my own, so I can maintain the level.
I hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Larry Heath
Junior User
Thanks just what I was looking for.

Later Larry

Old 11-02-2003, 04:19 PM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
Just what is typical for a water pump failure?

I don't know. Mine was leaking at 39k on my 99.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:31 PM
horsecop
Senior User
A dealer will normally charge about $400 to put a water pump on. (96') plus, give or take another 300 plus for the water pump! Since I got my pump from NAPA they let me use the the wrench to get the fan clutch off. Hardest part of the job. Took five minutes. Be real careful on this! Put the bolts back in the same wholes they came out of. Some are longer than others. If you get one in the wrong whole you'll be replacing more than you want! As far a coolant, it also came from NAPA. I used Heavy Duty Antifreeze and since I have a coolant filter on my truck I just replaced the filter with the additive in it. The Quadzilla is right about keep up with the levels. While your in that area I'd change the belt and check the tensioner to see if it's still aligned and not failing. Drop a new thermostat in and your done. It took me about one hour and thirty minutes to do the job. Oh, becareful if you do decide to put a thermostat in. The housing for it is fragile and the flange will bend. It can be a mess but nothing a garden hose won't cure. Follow what the Quad said and save alot of money. Hope this helps. Back to your original question, look under the water pump at the wheep hole. If it's wet, it's fix'in to go.

Last edited by horsecop; 11-02-2003 at 07:36 PM.