Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

schocks on an explorer 96

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 04:54 PM
karslake
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry schocks on an explorer 96

Can anyone recomend shocks for my expolrer sport 96?
Today I had the vehicle checked with all sorts of equipment and suspension was O.K. However I feel the suspension too hard. You can feel every crack in the cement. Iit feels like extreme presure in the tires but I have tried them with even 14 pounds and you still feel the bumps. I called a specialized shop where they sell shock and they recommended the best strong double action amstrong. I thought that there they went again, precisely doing contrary to what should be soft single action. Please mind me explaining that the Explored feels like falling to bits in dirt roads even al slow speeds. The truck only has 80 k/m and is in excellent condition all over. Can anyone help please? Thanks Karslake.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:39 AM
john bagley
Freshman User
explorer shocks

I would not recommend the Edelbrock only because they are fairly expensive and I do not feel they deliver on their promises claiming to be firm when needed and soft when not. I got them because my 96 Explorer was a bear going over speed bumps at times throwing me and my passenger from side to side when crawling over it. The Edelbrocks were no improvement at all and I could not detect any difference from stock shocks.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:26 AM
mason
Elder User
I have put Bilstein's on two Explorers and are very pleased with the ride they give. Firm but not too harsh. They certainly stop the side to side action that John B. mentioned. They are a little pricey (~$60/each). Others highly recommend the Monroe gas shocks. Check out previous posts on this forum for more about the Monroes.

Mason

Old 12-10-2003, 01:52 PM
karslake
Junior User
O.K. Lads I fixed my problem with my Explorer 96 shocks. I sort of went into an argument at the shocks store, I even took the skocks off myself to find that the are indeed double action and, ¡Gas filled! Oil filled is a thing of the past buddy they told me. Finally I gave into a set of Monroe sensatrack and every noise in the truck dissapeared and and am enjoying a very smooth ridenow. Strange but the shocks I took off seemed O.K. But the guy at the counter told me they were busted without even looking at them..?????? Maybe they were gien in a little.¡ cheers !Karslake

Old 12-10-2003, 02:35 PM
lymo
Freshman User
mason
My explorer is also trowing alot from side to side, and it feels stiff, also acting a bit as a rocking horse over bumps...and I have decided to try to do something about it, but what?. Before I read this I was in the blind.
I have been reading through previous posts as you proposed.

What I see is that two different MONROE shocks prove to be good; the Sensatrac, and the Reflex.

Can you or someone tell the difference between these ones?

Old 12-10-2003, 03:24 PM
mason
Elder User
Lymo,

I believe the Reflexes are designed for high center of gravity vehicles like an Explorer. The Sensatracs are more for passenger cars though can be used on SUVs. If I recall correctly, both have been recommended on this forum with, possibly, more people using and recommending the Reflexes. This is only what I've learned on the forum and not personal knowledge. I've replaced shocks on my two Explorers with Bilsteins and I am very pleased. If I decided to go with Monroes, I'd opt for the Reflexes.

Good luck.

Mason

Old 12-11-2003, 04:04 AM
lymo
Freshman User
mason
Thank you very much

Old 12-11-2003, 06:48 AM
karslake
Junior User
My appreciation of my original problem was way all wrong because this shocks theme is not easy to understand. Firstly I was given the impression of having too strong shocks. This because when you have uncontrolled bouncing of the wheel what you are really having is a generalized bashing of your vehicle all over which makes one believe that shocks may be too strong. The reality prooved that they were O.K. but somewhat weak: Because of this I went into an argument with the shocks man, and he recommended new ones, any type and if posible reinforced ones because my vehicle was not precisely a light one. The shocks man prooved to be right.
The principle of wheel drop control was formerly cantrolled with a belt wraped around a drum with a spring so that every time the axle was going down it was engaged through the friccion drum and would delay its trayectory. In this way there would not be any or ever lasting bouncing of the vehicle. Modified double action was introduced later . More simple to understand never. Our days shocks have been made somewhat "intelligent" and they seem to set themselves to different terrains. Al leats that seems to be the trend. Cheers Karslake

Old 12-11-2003, 07:17 AM
mason
Elder User
Lyder,

You are welcome. Let us know what you do and how it works out. It will be more information for other people.

Mason

Old 02-22-2006, 11:37 AM
GhostX
New User
Does anybody know what vehicles Edelbrock IAS TwinTube Shocks with part numbers 20108 and 20119 fit? I was told they fit my 97 Explorer, but I haven't been able to confirm that,Thanks!