1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Upholstery questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:59 PM
bhabben
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upholstery questions

Folks,
Where do you place upholstery/interior related questions? The going rate and my budget has pushed me into having to to do my own automotive unholstery work. A lady at work is a sewing nut, has a supplier that will sell me a good Singer 3115 sewing maching for $150. Is this a good starting machine and a reasonable price?
Any advice or direction is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett

Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Brett

If you make your own clothes too it will pay for itself in no time.

Seriously though. Drop Carlene an email. She seems knowledgeable on the subject. I wish I knew how to use a sewing machine. Heck, I wish my wife knew how to sew. It's a lost art.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upholstery Questions

Do you have an interest in doing upholstery once you get past doing your own project? I'm not sure that putting out the funds for something that is going to just sit and collect dust is such a good idea. I do upholstery for a living and I must say that the price sounds good but unless it has a walking foot and reverse I wouldn't consider it. I have a Consew 226 and it is almost bullet proof. Don't get a light weight machine because it will be in the shop more than in your shop.
Took time out to look up on the internet to see what the machine looks like. I started out years ago with that type of head and it was in the repair shop more than in my shop. Think twice.
If you wish to discuss firther contact me at my email adress.
Doing your own interior can be gratifying. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
bhabben
Senior User
If you make your own clothes too it will pay for itself in no time.
Thanks for rattin' me out.... no secrets among friends, eh????

Anyway, thanks 'Gear Up' for responding. That's the exact constructive criticism I am looking for. The need for upholsery work around the ranchita just keeps piling up, with no relief$$ in sight. When I was a kid I did limited automotive work with my mom's assistance on her rig. Also, the little filly has been dabling more and more with leatherwork (her dad loves tooling leather, makes gorgeous holsters, etc.) so this is not a one shot deal by any means.
Anyway, your consew sounds great. Too bad they are out of my league. I'll keep looking.
Adios,
Brett

Old 10-22-2003, 08:44 PM
bhabben
Senior User
Gear Up,
What do you think of this Consew 260 in Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=26256
Thanks,
Brett

Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 PM
bhabben
Senior User
Old 10-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brett,
It is good to see others interested in doing their own interior work. The machines that you ask about I haven't come across in my work but after looking at the e-bay clips it is my impression that the 260 is a specialty machine and you have to have the right use for it. The 230 on the other hand appears to have a presser foot type action to it and I can speak from experience that the frustration that comes from the bottom layer of goods feeding through the machine faster than the top is not pleasant. If you are interested in doing upholstery look at the 225, 226. or the 216. They are excellent machines and they have the walking foot feed and they have Reverse with the exception of the 225. That can be overcome by lifting up and pulling back a couple of stitches and starting up again. I did that with my 225 all the time. Reverse is quicker and easier. There are other machine out there like Chandler and Pfaff that make good machines but the ease at which you can control the size of stitch and the consistancy of the stitch I am partial to the Consew line of machine. Please contact me at my email adress if you have anymore questions about the machines I've mentioned. I don't wish to impose personel preferences on everyone other than what has been stated.
Good luck.

Gear Up

P.S. Won't be able to respond to the threads until middle of next week. Going on a much neede vacation.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suggest being very careful when buying industrial machines 'as is'. Parts can be very expensive and almost impossible to find. The Presser foot (on the 230) appears to be missing; a converted 110/220-clutch motor is available but will not be cheap (industrial machines are most likely 3 phase). No telling as to the condition of the hook/bobbin case and other internal organs. Most industrial machines you find for sale will have been discontinued and 20-40 years old. A lot of people buy these old machines only for the parts.

On the other hand, if you find a good one it will last a long, long time in home and light duty use.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I am surprised that you are considering investing in a machine yourself. If you add that cost to what the woman will need for compensation plus the cost of quality material, I think that you are in the 4-500 $ range just for the seat. I took my broken stock bench to my upholstery guy and he fixed it and covered it for $250. I had him do the carpeting too. He charged $210 including the custom mats and the special access to the under-the-floor battery compartment. For the roof, doors, behind the seat and under-ther dash, I used Rod Doors. My upholstery guy sold me the same material he used on my seat for $150. I applied it and installed the pieces myself. So for a deluxe job, I now have everything done for about $1500. As long as you are going to be using quality materials, I think you will be at least there when you are all done. I might be wrong; have you come up with an estimate? I'm not critisizing your idea, just putting my 2 cents worth in with another alternative. Good luck, John

Old 10-24-2003, 07:59 PM
bhabben
Senior User
John,
I wish I could buy off the shelf kits but the majority of what I have are orphans. My '59 F100 is 'mainstream' by comparison. I've shopped around and gotten bids, and that's what got me investigating what it would take to do this myself.
I do just about everything else myself, so why not this, too?
Adios,
Brett

Old 10-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Upholstery questions

Why go to all the trouble when there are NOS Seat Covers that never found a Seat to be used on for sale. Once you find one you like all you have to do is Hog ring it into place.
The only other thing to do is get the new Foam for the seat to replace the worn out originals.
A lot easier that stitching something together & not knowing how it will come out looking. Even those of us that have experience w/ sewing by hand or using a machine never know if the Project will come out exactly like we wish it to.

Originally posted by bhabben
Folks,
Where do you place upholstery/interior related questions? The going rate and my budget has pushed me into having to to do my own automotive unholstery work. A lady at work is a sewing nut, has a supplier that will sell me a good Singer 3115 sewing maching for $150. Is this a good starting machine and a reasonable price?
Any advice or direction is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett

Old 10-26-2003, 05:04 PM
bhabben
Senior User
Why go to all the trouble when there are NOS Seat Covers that never found a Seat to be used on for sale
Confession time. The most pressing issue is not my f100 (it actually has the best seat in my entire fleet). It's the beater I commute 70 miles a day in. It's an orphan nobody makes or has kits for, even the foam is disintegrating beneath the mexican blanket covers.
Texas is h*ll on interiors.....
Anyway, I've learned a bunch off the web, and this is no different.
Adios,
Brett

Old 10-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brett

Now you've gone & done it!
You've Peaked my Curiosity?
What "are" you driving that you believe to be a Red Headed Step Child?
I have found all sorts of interesting bits & bobs in my time.
What'cha Got there Olde Son?
Don't leave me hangin'!
I wish to help, don'tcha know!

Cheers
Flashy

Originally posted by bhabben
Confession time. The most pressing issue is not my f100 (it actually has the best seat in my entire fleet). It's the beater I commute 70 miles a day in. It's an orphan nobody makes or has kits for, even the foam is disintegrating beneath the mexican blanket covers.
Texas is h*ll on interiors.....
Anyway, I've learned a bunch off the web, and this is no different.
Adios,
Brett

Old 10-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
There is a lot to be said just for the satisfaction of doing all yourself. I can certainly respect that. Just a note, since I don't know what you are driving, Rod Doors also make door panels that are untrimed. You just cut them to suit your doors. They come with 1/4" dense foam to put around the edges to form the lip. Good luck, John

Old 10-27-2003, 08:56 PM
1cool60
New User
I agree that there is alot to be said for doing it yourself. But since I have neither the time, patience, or ability to do it myself, I just had the interior done in my 60 for $650. This was two-tone gray tweed, and included brand new door panels, complete reconstruction of the bench seat (broken springs fixed, all new foam), kick panels and headliner. My carpet was good, but would have probably added $100. As soon as the wildfires cease, and the ashes stop dropping, I will pull it out and snap some pictures.

Quick Reply: Upholstery questions