Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 & SOHC 4.0 V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2003, 01:10 AM
New User

Wilcoman is starting off with a positive reputation.
PCM trouble code PO340 help needed

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger 4.0 six cylinder that has recently had frequent check engine light problems. The light comes on, I take it to the mechanic and he tells me it has to do with the cam sync sensor, and with the PO340 code it should be running really bad or not even start. However, the truck runs fine with an intermittent misfire on the freeway every so often. Other than that all is working well. So he resets the light and after a period of time it comes on again. This has happened about 4 or 5 times in the past 2 months but my truck doesn't seem to be running badly at all. I even drove it for a week with the light still on and no difference was noticed. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on here? I hate to take it to the dealer and have them ream me unnecessarily. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bill
Old 10-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Hi, welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

The camshaft position sensor (CMP) is easy to replace. Unplug the wire harness connector, remove the two screws, and that's it. Installation is the reversae of removal. If your problem is simply the sensor, then you can easily fix it yourself.

The CMP is located behind the intake manifold on the top surface of the cylinder block. It looks something like this (3.0L shown, 4.0L similar):

Click the image to open in full size.

Hope this helps ...good luck!
Ford Pics
Old 10-21-2003, 08:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 & SOHC 4.0 V6

Tags
00, 03, 1997, 340, 97, code, f150, ford, pcm, po, po340, po340ford, sho, taurus, trouble