Computer Chips & Tuners  

The downside of chips and tuners......

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Multipierce
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The downside of chips and tuners......

<!-- I've done a few of the microtuner modifications to customer's fehicles, and I've been impressed with the results so far..... ---> My question is in this "you don's get something for nothing wold", what is the downside to chips and microtuners, other than needing to use high octane fuel? Also, since i've not done one to my own truck, what can be expected gains using either a chip and microtuner, and i mean everday driving, not on the dragstrip. Does this gain equal or exceed the cost of the upgrade, and how much horsepowe or torque does one need to gain to "feel" the difference? Thank you for any info.

Dube

Old 09-28-2003, 09:21 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a downside:

Gas tuners require premium fuel.
Diesel tuners tend to increase EGTs so if you do very heavy towing you need an EGT gauge.

Old 09-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Multipierce
Junior User
I understand that premium fuel is required, but why is it required, what is EGT, and why aren't the trucks programmed like this from the factory? Does anyone have a lot of miles on a chipped, or microtuned vehicle? By that i mean have they put on a lot of miles since they changed the programs? I'm looking at the long term drawbacks. I've heard they blow out injectors after a long time usage? little help?????

Old 09-29-2003, 03:57 PM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
I don't have one but been thinking about getting one. I'm guessing it sets your timing so you have to run higher octane to prevent detonation.

they aren't programmed like this from the factory because not everyone want the increased performance enough to pay 20 cents more a gallon.

Old 09-29-2003, 04:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
The increase timing and because premium requires more air for a complete burn (ie, to produce more power) they lean the fuel out slightly.

EGT = exhaust gas temperatures

I have customers who have been using chips for years without problems (I also fit into this category). Never heard of blowing out injectors.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:53 PM
bigstroker
New User
I have a 2000 F250, with a Hypertech tuner, with a stock clutch and no problems, I was thinking of going with a bigger programer, but am wondering,, how much power can my stock clutch hold before slipping???

Old 10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Lagerhead
Senior User
Smile

The draw back I had with my tuner is that I burned the rear tires off the truck and I'm turning 305/75/16

Old 10-02-2003, 08:48 AM
vbdotnetdev
New User
One concern I have about chips is Warenty implications. I know if you have a chip and something unrelated goes they have to fix it, but what if the computer craps out, whether or not it was caused by the chip my guess is Ford will blame it on the chip and not want to fix it. Are there any other engine problems they might try and blame on the chip? If I tear apart the M5OD in my Explorer will Ford say it was caused by the increased power from the chip? If you remove the chip can Ford determin if you ever used one?

Old 10-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Badger
Senior User
Found this over on texasdiesel.com:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects you. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, any after market equipment which improves the safety or performance, does not void a vehicle warranty, unless the warranty clearly states in the owner's manual that these additional items void the warranty. The dealer must also prove that an added, after market or safety item caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

Hope that helps...

Old 10-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Lagerhead
Senior User
and ford states a chip or programer will void your warrenty

Old 10-02-2003, 07:05 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
No they don't. Read it very carefully. They are very careful in their wording to imply all sorts of nasty things without actually saying it because they know its against the law. They can't void the warranty for installing a chip or using a tuner. They can, however, refuse a repair caused by an aftermarket part. Cause -vs- installation, huge difference.

Old 10-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Badger
Senior User
...if they can prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:07 PM
pilot10
More Turbo
Originally posted by Badger
...if they can prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem.
....Then check the warranty on the aftermarket part. I wouldn't worry about warranty issues as long as you follow the directions. You can buy a brand new vehicle directly from your Ford dealer with an aftermarket chip already installed.

Typically in an electronic part, if there is a defect, it will fail either immediately or within the 1st 90 days- both cases would be covered by warranty. As far as taking the ECU with it when it goes- probably not unless there is some easily verifiable defect in the chip itself. Some defect like shorted out leads- but that would be discovered when the chip is originally programmed.

Tim