1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Supercharged Expedition Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Deez
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged Expedition Help

Hey guys,

Yup, I'm new here and I already need help

Here's the problem.

I bought a Powerdyne SC from a shop online brand new.

Had a local shop install it on my 2k Expedition with the 4.6L .

Install went fine and soon I was on the road. I now have a light vibration coming from the break & gas pedal. I could live with that.. Bigger issue is the motor stalls during stops. Like it is either short on gas or air.

I have an appointmet this Saturday for the mechanic to go through it again but I thought a few extra ideas from you people to discuss with him would be beneficial.

And yes, under full throttle it MOVES.

Thanks for any help.

-Deez-

Old 09-26-2003, 10:09 PM
dannygee
New User
Thumbs down supercharger

sorry you didnt ask before you bought, powerdyne has many bugs to work out.

Old 09-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Deez
New User
Re: supercharger

Originally posted by dannygee
sorry you didnt ask before you bought
Makes two of us.

-Deez-

Old 09-28-2003, 08:33 AM
tyger25
Senior User
Could be that the supercharger demands so much more air and fuel than stock, and your fuel pump may not be getting enough fuel to the engine.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Deez
New User
Well, I have the intake run into the side engine bay fender hole, just like the set-up says to have it. As for the fuel, there is an FMU unit that hook sup that is supposed to aid with the extra fuel that is needed. I will have "words" with Powerdyne tech support tomorrow and will post back here what they say.

It's real unfortunate on my part I didn't reasearch this further. Today I typed in " Powerdyne problems " into Google and it returned enough hits to make my stomach turn.

-Deez-

Old 09-28-2003, 11:05 PM
grandaddy's66
Senior User
What would you gentlemen suggest as background for a good supercharger if Powerdyne has problems?

Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 AM
tyger25
Senior User
If I bought one, I would go with the new Kenne Bell Blowzilla. I saw the tech install in a magazine for an F-150, and the kit came with everything needed. Apparently their tech support is unbeatable as well.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:54 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Sorry to hear about your problem.

I really hope your S/C isn't lunching itself - that's just not fair.

What are the exact symptoms? Does it just sort of stall out when you're stopped? Does it shudder a bit and die? Does blipping the gas keep it alive?

XXL

Old 09-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Deez
New User
Lesse,

It only happens when I am about to be in a complete stop. Like 2 MPH or less. And it will either surge up and down a hundred RPS or so and then either die or recover. It's like when the tranny usually switches gears or whatever happens underneath when you are preparing to stop. Wish I could describe it better.
I can't really blip the throttle because most of the time, it's a suprise "I'm dead" situation.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:43 PM
1999XLT
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didi you change your injectors? I would suggest something a little bit more than the stock 19lb injectors. I believe the Lightnings and Harleys have 49lb injectors. If you are still running your stock injectors I would look in that direction....... Not much but I hope it helps you out.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Deez
New User
Eh, not sure about the injectors. I am leaning now towards the FMU or fuel lines leading to the FMU as the culprit. Or the lack of a blow off valve. Still waiting for tech support to call me back.... any minute now.. Maybe after lunch.. By tomorrow morning I'm sure.

-Deez-

Old 09-29-2003, 05:44 PM
jwil
New User
Hey, I'm new to this also

But I'm having the same problem when I come to a stop my rpm's jump up and down and sometimes the it cuts off on me. I added headers, air intake, mass airflow censor, stage II chip, throttle body spacer(helix power tower). true dual exhaust flow master 2 1/4. I have no idea what to do

Old 09-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Deez
New User
Thank you for saving me from buying each one of those trying to solve my problem.

What are your specs?

I talked to the Tech guy at Powerdyne. He seemed stumped.. That's nice. He seems to think there is a Fuel delivery problem or an air leak.

So I scheduled an appointment with a local speed shop to see if they can solve it.. If they can't, I will be trying to return the unit.

Good luck to you!

-Deez-

Old 09-29-2003, 06:10 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by Deez
Lesse,

It only happens when I am about to be in a complete stop. Like 2 MPH or less. And it will either surge up and down a hundred RPS or so and then either die or recover. It's like when the tranny usually switches gears or whatever happens underneath when you are preparing to stop. Wish I could describe it better.
I can't really blip the throttle because most of the time, it's a suprise "I'm dead" situation.
Sounds like fuel delivery to me - I agree with 1999XLT on upgrading the injectors. Also, for what it's worth, I was reading an article about the Ken Belle Blowzilla, and they say one of the mods that comes with the S/C install is an increase in voltage to the fuel pump so everything gets enough fuel.

I'd try taking it back and going with a Ken Belle setup - I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Good luck and keep us posted

XXL

Old 09-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Deez
New User
But wouldn't the injectors and increased fuel only come into play when you actually needed them? I.E., Under throttle?

Not to argue mind you, I enjoy the comments & help!

-Deez-

Quick Reply: Supercharged Expedition Help