6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Remote Starter Installation (6.0L Diesel)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 07:34 AM
Friartuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to install the CS-324 remote starter system, which was purchased directly from 12voltshop.com into a 2003 Ford F350 with the 6.0 L Diesel engine. Installation calls for either monitoring the glow plug light to go out or a 12 second time out method. Problem is that both glow plug and tachometer information is sent on a digital bus, not discrete signals/wires that can be tapped. I can live with a time out versus monitoring the glow plug, but what about the tach? To determine that the engine has started, they have an option for sensing either pulses or sensing ground. Using a vacuum switch that goes to ground when the engine has started is possible, but diesel’s aren’t strong on vacuum. I’m reluctant to tap the crankshaft sensor output (pulses substitute for the tach line) because of the problems with the new 6.0L?

I suppose the methods I can think of are 1) put a Tee on the oil pressure line where one side is the existing oil pressure sending unit and the other would be an on-off sending unit (wired to ground) or 2) monitor the field winding circuit (battery light on dash) through a relay and sense ground when the alternator comes up to speed (voltage) and trips the relay.

When I called 12voltshop.com in Canada, they claim they have yet to install a remote on a 2003 Ford Diesel, so they couldn't help me.

Anyone have any ideas here? I guess the question is what can I use as a way to determine that a diesel has started?

Old 09-19-2003, 08:58 AM
oric
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this may not help but,I have an auto start in my 03 350 6.0 diesel and it works great.Now what I do is,if Im inthe house I look for a window faceing the truck,then I shut the alarm using the remote,I see the lites blink telling me its unarmed.Then I push the start up bottons and the lites blink again telling me it should be starting,so what I do know is try to stay really quiet and listen for the motor starting! Thats about all I guess you or I can do..also it has a couple second delay on the starting,when your close to the truck you can hear what I think is the fuel pump running before it kicks over..good luck

Old 09-19-2003, 11:52 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since my Ford Gold remote is not a two way system, it was wired to energize the fog/parking lite circuit...
if you can't HEAR the truck start (darn too quiet 6.0L !!!)
you can see the lights....

Also, mine chirps when the remote start signal is received...
I used that to learn how long to hold the remote on button.

but mine's been so reliable, I just know that if I am within 600 feet and I hold that button for a count of a second or two, it will start....

And one way to hear if it is withn range is to hit the lock button a few times... if it chirps, you're witin range....

And I'm sure your info says to do this also, mine locks when the remote start button is hit... I know - well, duh !