General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

sliding mitre saw???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Pilgrim
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sliding mitre saw???

Hi all! I need some advice from any who have some knowledge of power wood working tools. I want to buy a nice mitre saw for my brother in law. I'd like to get a sliding one since I've found lots of situations where the fixed ones were too small. I'd also like to get one that has the laser line on it - seems to me that would be a very handy feature. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? I'm prepared to spend a decent amount but price is still a consideration. Thanks in advance for your help.
Pilgrim

Old 09-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Colossus
Posting Guru
sliding mitre saw???

You're talking about a sliding chopsaw right? I have never used a slider, but I know people who have a Makita and DeWalt and they seem to work fine for them. Expensive though...

Old 09-10-2003, 12:05 PM
AOGDEN
Senior User
sliding mitre saw???

I have a Hitachi 10" slider that I bought second hand close to 7-8 years ago. I used it building 11 decks and have never had any repairs done to it. Other than blade changes the saw is the same as when I bought it. I would not hesitate to buy another Hitachi.
As far as the laser pointers are concerned, they are fully adjustable and only as true as you make them. If they are set wrong then you trash the piece you're cutting. I don't see the value.
When I worked at Lowes we used to sell a lot of the Dewalt sliders. At that time Dewalt included a coupon good for a free electric drill or sander with the purchase of the saw. I have never used a Dewalt tool so I can't speak for their quality or lack there of.
The Hitatchi was selling in the $400-500.00US range for a new unit when I bought this one for $220.00US. The last itme I looked Lowes was selling the Dewalt DW708 @ $599.00US

Last edited by AOGDEN; 09-10-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Vanhecht
Elder User
sliding mitre saw???

i think you are talking about a compound mitre saw...or has that already been established...craftsman makes a good one...

Old 09-10-2003, 03:30 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
sliding mitre saw???

I have a 10" Porter Cable that I like really well. I personally don't like laser guides. The little red line isn't as accurate as lining your pencil line up with the blade. And accuracy counts in trim work.

For a serious DIYer, stay away from Craftsman (IMHO). I'd go with Delta, PC, or DeWalt.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Karic
Elder User
sliding mitre saw???

Pilgrim;

You must REALLY like your Brother-in-Law. I use a 12" Dewalt, and love it. Big money, but I wouldn't buy anything else.

Rick

Old 09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
sliding mitre saw???

I have a Craftsman 12" compound miter saw. It came in very handy when I put a hip roof on the deck I built. My neighbor has a Craftsman radial arm saw that slides and can cut miters. It has the laser sight and he never uses it. His saw cost over $700.00 and sits on a stand so it's not portable. I can pick my saw up with one hand and take it right to where I want to cut. It cost about $250.00

Old 09-10-2003, 04:25 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

sliding mitre saw???

Get the Hitachi 12" .I use one everyday.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:35 PM
AegisSailor
Elder User
sliding mitre saw???

I thought he was talking about a radial arm saw. As far as compound miters go, I've got a Porter-Cable 10" that performs well for me. No laser though

Old 09-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
sliding mitre saw???

I really love my saw. I tried cutting some 4 x 4's at 45 degrees with my table saw and it couldn't make it through with one pass. With the 12" I buzz right through them. One of my favorate things is to take landscaping logs and cut them at 22.5 degrees. I make all sorts of different sizes to put around trees and shrubs. I really recommend that you get the 12" COMPOUND miter saw.

================== On Edit ======================
definately get the 12" saw. I bought the 10" saw. The guy at sears said it would cut 45 degrees through a 4 X 4 but like it was mentioned above, it won't. I was able to take to 10" saw back and get the 12"

Last edited by Bubba Shrimp; 09-10-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:43 PM
jbalestri
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sliding mitre saw???

Personally, I have never heard of a sliding mitre saw. The sliding saw are radial arm saws. I would recommend a compound mitre saw as mentioned before, but get a 12" one. My 10" won't quite cut through a 4x4 at 45 deg. Also, the blade choices are more common, ie. 12" Masonry blade, Metal blade are easier to find than 10".

DeWalt's are good, Hitachi, Craftsman, Porter-Cable, are all okay. The laser is something else to me that might break and un-necessary. Kind of like having a F350 for a commuter just so you can say you have one.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:57 PM
whistler
Senior User
sliding mitre saw???

I have a 12" sliding compound mitre saw. It is a Makita. I have only had it about a year, but I have put it through it's paces. I would recommend it highly. I don't know the model # off the top of my head, but it cost about $500.

There is a difference between a radial arm saw and a sliding compound mitre saw. The blade/powerhead on a radial arm saw can pivot such that you could rip a board with it. A sliding compound mitre saw cannot do this.

Whistler

Old 09-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
sliding mitre saw???

Originally posted by Pilgrim
Hi all! I need some advice from any who have some knowledge of power wood working tools. I want to buy a nice mitre saw for my brother in law. I'd like to get a sliding one since I've found lots of situations where the fixed ones were too small. I'd also like to get one that has the laser line on it - seems to me that would be a very handy feature. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? I'm prepared to spend a decent amount but price is still a consideration. Thanks in advance for your help.
Pilgrim
I just sold my 12 in Dewalt compound miter (non sliding) saw that cost $400, that I just used once, to build my buddy's gazebo. The Dewalt 10 "sliding compound miter (compounds both sides and costs over $500 ) is the way to go, you can compound miter 6 in crown mold, 45 deg 6 in baseboard, etc. If he frames a lot the 12 in will suit better, if his specialty is finish work, he will like the 10 better, imo

Old 09-10-2003, 06:31 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
sliding mitre saw???

I don't think to much of them dewalts we break em about every 6 months. I wouldn't think sliders do that great of a mitre cut or compound(the whole sliding into the mitre cut does sound safe). we have problems with them kicking back.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sliding mitre saw???

I think you guys are talking about dual compund sliding mitre saws. They cut at two angles and slide. We had a nice Makita 10" at school and it worked flawlessly.

Quick Reply: sliding mitre saw???