2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adaptive cruise almost killed me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Litre
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive cruise almost killed me!

Not really. I had to use a company car today. I'm so used to adaptive cruise that when the slower-than-me vehicle in front of me slowed down even more, I almost forgot to do the same. Definitely one of the features I love on my Super Duty!

Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an interesting incident with mine, nearly getting into a fight.
I was on an Interstate highway going up a three lane mountain (a 9% grade). There was a tractor trailer on the (right) in the slow lane doing about 40 mph climbing the mountain, and an old man in a big old Buick LeSabre in the far left lane pacing him at 40 mph like old guys like to do. I also had another guy following me in a Chevy pickup real closely. He was looking at my truck as he was changing lanes from side to side, pointing and talking to the guy riding with him.
As we both threaded the needle between the two slower vehicles at 75 mph, my adaptive cruise control picked one, or both of them up and I went from 75 mph to 40 very quickly. The guy in the Chevy pickup behind me nearly rear ended me, and he thought that I was being a horses butt and did it purposely to scare him. So, I hit the gas pedal to get back up to speed, and after we pass Pops and the Semi, Chevy guy pulls up beside me cussing and giving me the finger wanting to fight. Uhhhh! What to do?
I wave, and mouth "Sorry Buddy" holding my hands up. He gave me the finger one more time before speeding off. My wife is upset because my 11 year old daughter got to see grown men act so... Adult like.
And,,, now Chevy guy really hates the new Fords now because he thinks that Horse's butts drive them.
Adaptive Cruise control does have some glitches that need to be worked out.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 PM
RxCriticial
Junior User
I have had adaptive cruise on a couple of different vehicles. In my opinion it's great if you are planning on staying in the right lane most of the time on the interstate. However I have noticed that in other traffic situations in town or on other highways there are a lot of situations that cause it to over react and brake really heavily as in RJC2's example above. That being said I am getting it on my new truck but only use it in routine highway situations. YMMV.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Davydee
Junior User
That's one of the issues we're learning with ours. After some time - delayed intelligence - I've learned that it's trying to maintain the 2.2 sec gap we've set the cruise to maintain. Consequently, we get more braking than we'd normally use as we'd use some of that gap to slow at a more reasonable rate. For me it's just uncomfortable as you guys have noted. I'm beginning to treat it as a normal cruise control. If I see I need to slow down, I just kick it off with the steering wheel button or brake pedal. David

Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Shreve T
Mountain Pass
Absolutely LOVE IT !!!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
DISLTom
Senior User
Originally Posted by RJC2
-RADAR BASED - Adaptive Cruise control does have some glitches that need to be worked out.
Fix that for you.

I wish everyone would just license Subaru's Eyesight. Works so much better than RADAR.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RJC2
I had an interesting incident with mine, nearly getting into a fight.
I was on an Interstate highway going up a three lane mountain (a 9% grade). There was a tractor trailer on the (right) in the slow lane doing about 40 mph climbing the mountain, and an old man in a big old Buick LeSabre in the far left lane pacing him at 40 mph like old guys like to do. I also had another guy following me in a Chevy pickup real closely. He was looking at my truck as he was changing lanes from side to side, pointing and talking to the guy riding with him.
As we both threaded the needle between the two slower vehicles at 75 mph, my adaptive cruise control picked one, or both of them up and I went from 75 mph to 40 very quickly. The guy in the Chevy pickup behind me nearly rear ended me, and he thought that I was being a horses butt and did it purposely to scare him. So, I hit the gas pedal to get back up to speed, and after we pass Pops and the Semi, Chevy guy pulls up beside me cussing and giving me the finger wanting to fight. Uhhhh! What to do?
I wave, and mouth "Sorry Buddy" holding my hands up. He gave me the finger one more time before speeding off. My wife is upset because my 11 year old daughter got to see grown men act so... Adult like.
And,,, now Chevy guy really hates the new Fords now because he thinks that Horse's butts drive them.
Adaptive Cruise control does have some glitches that need to be worked out.
The guy in the Chevy wasn't angry about you slowing down. He's mad because he's stuck driving a Chevy while you have the best pickup on the road. Haters gonna hate. I've grown up a lot, but I haven't grown out of granting guys like that their wish. Props to you for maintaining your cool.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Does the adaptive cruise turn the brake lights on when it make a large correction? I also turn it Off on the interstate most of the time because in Chicagoland if you leave much more than a 1 car gap a car will pull in front of you. When there is any kind of traffic, I keep a gap between cars that is about half of the distance of the shortest Setting on the AC.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:11 PM
MCG DAWG
Junior User
Am I the only one here that doesn't like cruise control? I use it maybe once or twice a year on lonely highway stretches. Rest of the time I don't trust it, I want full control of my vehicle. Maybe I'm just a control freak.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Litre
Not really. I had to use a company car today. I'm so used to adaptive cruise that when the slower-than-me vehicle in front of me slowed down even more, I almost forgot to do the same. Definitely one of the features I love on my Super Duty!

Yep. I've done the same thing. I think the ACC is awesome. I love it.

Sam

Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Wirelineman79
Junior User
I love mine. I use it on the interstate all the time. If I feel like I need to be closer to a vehicle in front of me I just get on the gas. If traffic slowed down the best part is I don't have to use the brake I just let off the gas. Works great for me.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM
jriltex
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great Question...

Originally Posted by yamaguy
Does the adaptive cruise turn the brake lights on when it make a large correction? I also turn it Off on the interstate most of the time because in Chicagoland if you leave much more than a 1 car gap a car will pull in front of you. When there is any kind of traffic, I keep a gap between cars that is about half of the distance of the shortest Setting on the AC.
Does adaptive cruise use the brake light when adjusting speed downwards to warn the vehicle behind you?

Old 03-29-2017, 04:39 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by jriltex
Does adaptive cruise use the brake light when adjusting speed downwards to warn the vehicle behind you?
Yes.

(more characters to equal at least 10)

Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Nimrod
Senior User
Litre - my Super Duty doesn't have adaptive cruise but our Toyota SUV does. I get in trouble after driving the Toyota for a few days and then taking the truck out. Same issue - waiting for the truck to slow down while on cruise and it ain't happening.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:16 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like it for the most part, but a highway I frequently travel on has many at grade crossings. If a car zips across the highway my truck freaks out and slams on the brakes hard, collision warning goes off, etc.. I assume the radar must see this as a completely stopped obstacle since it's only moving perpendicular to my path. Problem is it'll do this from a great distance, well over a few hundred yards. Nearly caused an accident or 2 behind me.

Quick Reply: Adaptive cruise almost killed me!