Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Hydroboost, Saginaw questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:53 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tecgod13
I don't have a clue... maybe see if you can cross reference the pump at an auto parts place that has employees smart enough to use an old book....?
The lost art of using a parts book. That how I learned parts

Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
HOLY BRAKING POWER

got everything buttoned up finally. I had to use a pulley with two belts and had to use the front belt so it wouldn't be so recessed towards the pump and not sit level. Ideally I would like the Lincoln pulley as the one I'm using is off of a GM(IIRC). If I come across it at the junkyard I'll snag it. The hydroboost is AWESOME!! Slight pressure on the pedal and that baby slows the truck down. I want to slam on the brakes to see how fast it'll stop it but I'm afraid everything in the truck will go flying all over the place the Saginaw pump is really handy when sitting still and turning the wheel and it is MUCH quieter. I'm sure it's even better when under serious load having to back up a trailer or something. Overall was it worth it? Yes everyone do the hydroboost upgrade!!!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Yes it will and lock the seat belt. On the rare occasions you take it to the shop you may want to let them know it got hydroboost.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:17 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
you know I must admit..I'm not digging the Saginaw pump. I think I might've just gotten a dud or something..it feels the same as the stock pump. At idle and moving...personally i don't think it was worth me going out of my way to get a custom hose made and going through the whole pulley situation. Idk if I'm using the wrong fluid or something? It isn't "one finger can turn the wheel at idle" good. It still takes the same effort as the c2.... now when I first cranked it after installing it WAS "one finger" easy but wasn't ever like that again for some reason...i am running atf should I swItch to just straight power steering fluid? Idk what/if I did something wrong but personally had I known it would've felt the same as the pump I had before I wouldn't have even gone through all that trouble with the bracket, pulley and pressure hose... hopefully it is just something as easy as wrong fluid or something ..

Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Sound like maybe an air bubble. When I changed the pump on my Jeep it was hard at times. I was getting ready to change the rack when one day it cleared up had no problems with it since. There could be a bubble trapped in the system that needs to work it way out

Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hturner12
Sound like maybe an air bubble. When I changed the pump on my Jeep it was hard at times. I was getting ready to change the rack when one day it cleared up had no problems with it since. There could be a bubble trapped in the system that needs to work it way out
hmmm. Maybe I'll take the cap off and and move the wheel back and forth and hit the brakes

Old 03-27-2017, 09:07 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
it would be messy but you could crack the pressure line also. Just make sure you do not pump it dry. If you do the turn the wheel hit the brake it may take up to 30 minutes or longer. On my Jeep it took almost a month of light driving

Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
it would be messy but you could crack the pressure line also. Just make sure you do not pump it dry. If you do the turn the wheel hit the brake it may take up to 30 minutes or longer. On my Jeep it took almost a month of light driving
ill probably just take the cap off and driver her around for a while see if it gets better

Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jmuenchow
ill probably just take the cap off and driver her around for a while see if it gets better
Why would you do that? No reason to drive with the cap off, that's a good way to slosh the fluid all over your engine. The cap has an air hole to let the pressure equalize.

Have you checked the fluid level? It will foam up while bleeding through, then should settle out after a few days, unless you never topped it up, in which case it would foam up every time you use it and work like crap.

The system is self bleeding. You just have to follow the procedure which is something like turn the wheel lock to lock a couple times, press the brake. Turn it off, press the brake to bleed out the reserve. Top it up, and repeat. It WILL be foamy until all the air is bled out (and will take a while for the bubbles to subside ones foamed so it may take a day or so)

Old 03-28-2017, 08:11 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Jack the front in the air, let it idle, and turn lock to lock a few dozen times. This should get any air out.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Why would you do that? No reason to drive with the cap off, that's a good way to slosh the fluid all over your engine. The cap has an air hole to let the pressure equalize.

Have you checked the fluid level? It will foam up while bleeding through, then should settle out after a few days, unless you never topped it up, in which case it would foam up every time you use it and work like crap.

The system is self bleeding. You just have to follow the procedure which is something like turn the wheel lock to lock a couple times, press the brake. Turn it off, press the brake to bleed out the reserve. Top it up, and repeat. It WILL be foamy until all the air is bled out (and will take a while for the bubbles to subside ones foamed so it may take a day or so)
NO I just read what I typed at work lol I won't DRIVE with it like that lol just turn wheel at idle like that lol sorry miscommunication

Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by cadunkle
Jack the front in the air, let it idle, and turn lock to lock a few dozen times. This should get any air out.
sounds good

Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
so I did this today..finally. It made my brake pedal feel much better to be honest but it actually made my steering more uncomfortable. I didn't lose any fluid in the process. As of now I am regretting the extra time and money I spend to get the Saginaw to work. I am not impressed and the pump I had on prior worked much better. Maybe I just got one made on a Monday morning.. idk. Maybe there's more air?? I did this for almost half an hr