1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

One Step forward, 2 steps back, UPDATE Part II

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver54
Sorry, but the term retorque requires that the bolts be loosened and then retightened to that torque
Got a cite for that?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Got a cite for that?
I will dig it up for you, just give me a few mins

Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Silver54
More Turbo

Now they are aviation documents as that is my profession, if you wish to consider them not applicable then that is up to you. Personally they are to a higher standard and I try to bring that to all items that I work on so as to keep me from becoming complacent in my career.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
You're correct!

We never actually loosened fasteners in aviation though, not that I can recall anyway, that was my profession as well. I suppose it was a mistake in terminology. They might have been called retorques (or not?) but were properly torque checks.

If you think about it, actually loosening the fastener doesn't really make much sense, because then the retorques (sorry - torque checks?) would be continuous? We torqued stuff down, then checked it a couple times or whatever after so many flight hours, and called it good.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Hope that we don't have you all spun around Abe.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I have decided the safe thing to do is to remove the head and see why it didn't seat. So today I took off all the things that needed removed. I was able to order just one head gasket and a pair of intake manifold gaskets. Should be here by Wed.

Tomorrow my son will come to help me lift off the head. I am sort of hoping that the problem is the new dowel is too high.

About the bolts, the top 5 are all the same length and the bottom 5 are the same length in a 54.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
When we pulled the heads off of our 239 y block it only had a dowel in the one side so we put it back together the same way. Hope it will be alright that way. I will be keeping an eye on how yours turns out.
Spring is coming so keep at it.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:46 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by SumDayDryvr
When we pulled the heads off of our 239 y block it only had a dowel in the one side so we put it back together the same way. Hope it will be alright that way. I will be keeping an eye on how yours turns out.
Spring is coming so keep at it.
I wish now that we would have put the head on with only the one dowel as it was, even though I do not know yet if the new dowel was the problem. I plan on getting the head off tomorrow when my son is available. That is definitely a two man job, at my age anyhow, with the fender alignment rod in the way.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:14 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
Hopefully, the surgery you have planned will be successful, and your engine will have a complete recovery. It will be interesting to hear how your new heads affect your engine's performance.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Semantics aside, once head gaskets have been installed and torqued they should NOT be loosened. Old style head gaskets almost always required a heat cycle then retorquing/checking/whatever afterward followed by rechecking valve adjustment. Newer gaskets employ several different technologies, depending on manufacturer and grade/quality. Always best to read and follow the instructions that come with the gaskets, not the service manual as changes may have been made since the manual was produced. If you have any doubts contact the manufacturer by phone for a quick answer.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:50 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by CBeav
Semantics aside, once head gaskets have been installed and torqued they should NOT be loosened. Old style head gaskets almost always required a heat cycle then retorquing/checking/whatever afterward followed by rechecking valve adjustment. Newer gaskets employ several different technologies, depending on manufacturer and grade/quality. Always best to read and follow the instructions that come with the gaskets, not the service manual as changes may have been made since the manual was produced. If you have any doubts contact the manufacturer by phone for a quick answer.
Thanks Beav. That makes good sense about the new gaskets. I have decided to take off the head. I have a dry thing off, intake, exhaust manifolds, rocker arms, etc. All but two bolts off the head. My son and I will lift the head off after dinner today. And will report back.

The gaskets will be in Tues or Wednesday.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:53 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
Abe, this topic is on y-blocksforever. Ted answered on which head gaskets to use. Dennis

Whats Everybody Using for Head Gaskets

Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by pintoplumber
Abe, this topic is on y-blocksforever. Ted answered on which head gaskets to use. Dennis

Whats Everybody Using for Head Gaskets
Oh no! I used Felpro. Both times and the bottom edge of the head is where I had water leaking! I have it on and everything put together but haven't fired it up yet. I must adjust the valves first. I was gonna coming today. I might go out and do it tonight. And then put the coolant in and cross my fingers!

Thanks, Dennis.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:06 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Update April 7:

To get everyone up to speed I took the left head off and took it to a machine shop. He said the surface looked a little rough at the back end and that is where it was leaking. He took off .004". Last Saturday a buddy helped me put it on and he left as he had things to do. I put the rest of it together. I didn't want to start it until I set the valve lash. All my friends who knew how to do it were busy this week.

So I watched Tim McMaster's video on how to adjust valves on a Yblock. I also read up on it. So tonight I figured I might as well try it. On the first lock nut I skinned my knuckle. Remember this as it's important later.

I got them all set. Sprayed some ether into the carb, pulled the choke, pumped the gas and it roared to life. Everything looked good. The oil was flowing etc. I shut it down. Then I put the coolant in and put put the valve cover on.

Now was time for the true test. I said a prayer and started her up again, praying for no leaks. It started easy this time, sounded strong but it clattered like a Singer Sewing machine! I guess the valve lash is too great. Is that correct? But I didn't see a leak at the head. Woo hoo!

But I did see a small leak at the T-stat housing! Ugh! If you recall last time I added coolant I had a leak at the T-stat housing, and I snapped a bolt trying to tighten it. I had a friend that helped me get the bolt out. This time he cleaned and smoothed the surface of both the intake and the T-stat housing mating surfaces and we put red permatex on both of them and put the gasket on. So needless to say I am a bit snake bitten about over tightening those bolts. I tightened them a little at a time waiting to see if the leak stopped. As of now it has stopped but the truck was not running and therefore may not have been up to pressure.

So for now all is good! I'll have to get a more experienced hand to fine tune my valve lash especially when it is warm. And I need to make an appointment for state inspection.

Thanks all for your help! And no video since I could find my cell phone...

Now about the bloody knuckle. I went upstairs to change my dirty pants. Then I see a red mark on our off white bed spread. It looked like permatex but I hadn't used any. It felt damp. First thing I did was holler for my wife. She says it looks like blood, "Did you cut yourself?" I said yes but it should be dry by now. But after I washed my hands I must have knocked it open again. My knuckle must have rubbed against the bedspread when I picked up the TV remote..... Honesty is the best policy. She got a wet rag and rubbed it out. I ran down to the laundry and got a stain stick.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:47 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I've got my fingers crossed that your motor is good to go now with another valve adjustment. I don't remember if Ford spec is for engine hot or engine cold, I think it is hot.

You got lucky on the bedspread. I was less lucky on a couch several years ago and noticed it every time I sat down until we got rid of it.

Quick Reply: One Step forward, 2 steps back, UPDATE Part II