1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Carter YFA Manual Choke Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Lightning23
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Carter YFA Manual Choke Swap

I currently have a Carter YFA carb remanufactured by national carburetor.

ND 1507 With a Climatic Choke

I am still struggling to get it to crank on warm restarts without giving it a small amount of gas. If I get out and manual set the choke a notch or two with the linkage, it cranks right up every time.

I am considering buying a Dorman HELP! - Choke Conversion Kit 55101 from the parts store and hooking it up. I see one issue from looking at my old feedback carb. It looks like you have to give push down the gas pedal down before the you can engage the manual choke because of the cold idle screw keeps you from engaging the choke.

Is this the case, or does any of the linkage need to be removed for the manual choke to work properly.

If anyone has any pictures it would be great.

Thanks,
Cody

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Any carb that has a fast idle cam is going to require the throttle to be opened slightly to set the choke, whether manual or automatic.

As for pictures, there are some here: Carter YFA 1bbl - ???Gary's Garagemahal.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Lightning23
Senior User
Thanks Gary for the response. In that case, it looks like it's as simple as removing the black choke mechanism and replacing it with the fork mechanism and cover that comes with the kit. Hook up and route the cable and you are good to go. One question though. How far does the choke valve need to close? I assume not all the way.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
No, not completely closed. There's a spec somewhere of the size drill bit to use as the measuring tool, but I think something like 1/8 to 3/16 is about right.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Lightning23
Senior User
Cool! I will see if I can get the kit and get installed this week if time permits. Now that it's getting to be spring, my better half sets my schedules for me. You know what they say happy wife happy life.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yup, and my wife's been happy for almost 48 years.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:35 PM
Lightning23
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Gary,

You are a rarity these days. It seems most people think it's easier to get divorced than to actually work through problems. My wife and I will have been married 7 years this October. We dated for 9 years before getting married and I couldn't be happier.

As always, thanks again for the help.

Cody

Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One problem I had with this kit is if you mount the cable above the choke plate axis it makes it difficult for the air cleaner to fully seat without pushing down on the cable. I also had issues with the end of the cable stabbing into the recessed dome under the air cleaner housing which would sometimes slightly close the choke while driving.

It might be some extra work to fab up some cable brackets, but on my new straight six truck I plan to loosen the fork in the adapter and flip it around so the cable can push/pull from below the axis of the choke plate. This will give the air cleaner housing a lot more clearance.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM
Lightning23
Senior User
Thanks for the info, I plan on test fitting it on my old feedback carb befor I mess with my new one. I will take pictures once I get finished.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
You are supposed to leave all the linkage and the choke pull-off or choke qualifier hooked up and working. If all that is working, on the first start cold you just press the gas pedal and hold it while you pull the choke completely closed, no adjustment with a drill bit necessary. Then when you fire it up, the choke pull-off will crack open the choke the proper drill bit amount for you. And the linkage will fast idle the engine properly also.

As you go down the road you can put the choke in about half-way and after about 15 minutes push it all the way in. This is all experimental though, each engine is different, and the outside temp will determine how much it needs, much like a lawnmower would.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Lightning23
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
You are supposed to leave all the linkage and the choke pull-off or choke qualifier hooked up and working. If all that is working, on the first start cold you just press the gas pedal and hold it while you pull the choke completely closed, no adjustment with a drill bit necessary. Then when you fire it up, the choke pull-off will crack open the choke the proper drill bit amount for you. And the linkage will fast idle the engine properly also.

As you go down the road you can put the choke in about half-way and after about 15 minutes push it all the way in. This is all experimental though, each engine is different, and the outside temp will determine how much it needs, much like a lawnmower would.

Sounds like all I need to do is remove the current climatic choke housing and make sure the manual choke bracket that replaces it clears the air cleaner while in operation.

Everything else should be setup already.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

And how about you, Gary?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
And how about you, Gary?
Delighted! As was said in a movie I saw recently, I'm boxing above my weight.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:54 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Me, I out-punted my coverage!

Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightning23
Sounds like all I need to do is remove the current climatic choke housing and make sure the manual choke bracket that replaces it clears the air cleaner while in operation.

Everything else should be setup already.
If it will run right now, take the aircleaner off and look for the choke pull-off. It should be a round diaphragm looking thing bolted to the side of the carb, with a rod coming out and going into the choke linkage. If the engine is cold, push the throttle wide open(engine off, aircleaner off) and the choke door should completely shut. Then let the throttle come back, and then take the rod coming out of the choke pull-off diaphragm and push it back simulating what the choke pull-off would do. You will see how it comes back and cracks the choke open a little bit.

Then get the engine started, go out, the choke pull-off should be retracted. It retracts any time the engine is running. If it's not retracted, pull the rubber hose off it and see if it has vacuum. If it does, the pull-off is bad(not unusual). Put that on the list to buy at the store.

Quick Reply: Carter YFA Manual Choke Swap