2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Platinum needs new engine?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
I feel bad for the guy who lays out the money and than gets poor service in getting this thing fixed! I'd be pretty livid. I realize its a new model, etc...but we are WAY past the very early builds now and parts should be generally available. Especially since the 6.7L is still pretty similar. At the very least, they should be keeping him in the loop a lot better and responding to his questions.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 AM
JasonB1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is indeed annoying, especially if you are meticulous about maintenance and want to know the root cause of a catastrophic (in my case) failure.

That said, Ford made my situation right and they will with the OP as well.

I really don't see a loss in value at all.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is most likely a casting flaw.
Let them repair it. Then enjoy your new truck. It sucks, but it will be made right.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:50 AM
mjf6175
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amorello
Well still no truck yet. I have not gotten any word from the dealer at all. The only information I have gotten was from the Ford customer service manager. He called a week ago to tell me the truck would be done by Friday. Well that time has come and gone and I went to the dealership only to see the same site, the truck on a lift with the front end off. The service writer had no clue what was going on and did not even know if the parts had arrived. I have been calling Ford customer service rep and emailing him but no response. Also called dealership service manager with no response. I keep emailing Ford rep that if they can't fix the problem or supply the parts they need to buy truck back. I asked the sales manager to trade me out of this truck and sell me a new one. As expected they offered 55K on the trade. Guess they don't think selling a used truck with a replaced motor at 6k will be so easy. Not going well at all.
Amorello....sorry to hear about your situation. Your profile on here indicates you live in Florida. Your best avenue maybe to pursue a lemon law violation. Trading it in will cost you big time and you will end up bearing most of the financial burden caused by the defect. I pasted below pertinent sections of the Florida State Lemon Law:

"The Florida Lemon Law covers defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety of a new or demonstrator vehicle (these are called "nonconformities")."

(you obviously meet this threshold requirement since you have lost use of your vehicle)

"If the vehicle has been back to the service agent for repair of the same recurring problem at least three times, the consumer must give written notification by certified, registered or express mail, to the manufacturer (not the dealer) to afford a final opportunity to repair the vehicle. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may be used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. Upon receipt of the notification, the manufacturer has 10 days to direct the consumer to a reasonably accessible repair facility, and then up to 10 days from delivery of the vehicle to fix it."

"If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer must give written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. After the manufacturer’s receipt of the notification, the manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle. The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.
If the manufacturer does not provide a refund or a replacement vehicle, consumers may invoke their rights through one or two arbitration programs. The dispute must be submitted for arbitration to a manufacturer sponsored program, if that program was certified by the State of Florida when the consumer purchased or leased the vehicle and the manufacturer's warranty or other written material explained how and where to file a claim with a state-certified program."

According to the time line you have posted in this thread concerning your vehicle being at the dealership your situation appears to qualify under the second paragraph quoted above. While a lemon law claim may seem drastic or extreme you should seriously consider it in view of the situation, how are your being treated, responsiveness on the part of Ford and the dealer, and finally what really is the true time frame for the repair to be successfully completed. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
The value may or may not change, it depends on the purchaser. Are you planning on keeping it 8 years and 200k? If so the value difference will be minimal and the free warranty is a few thousand bucks that could save you lots down the road. I presonally would ask for some oil changes and move on. Sometimes the stress just isn't worth it and if you move on thinking you have a fresh engine with no issues you can start working on those 200k!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:41 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would make sure when I pick it up that the engine bay is nice and tidy. I wouldn't allow any grease,grime, or antifreeze to be left in the engine bay. It'd be different if it was 10 years old, but I would expect it to look new.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Will the engine warranty be transferable? If not, I'd run her hard for 199,999 miles then trade or sell.

About 10 years ago, my stepson bought a new Nissan Altima with the 2.5L 4 banger. There was a batch of these cars that were well known to consume tons of oil, he had one of these cars.

The remedy was to replace the engine and then offer the customer a 100K mile power train warranty. It was a great deal and he opted to make them buy the car back and get another car with the 6/60 warranty. IMHO, he took a step backwards from a great deal that came from a bad situation.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:37 PM
amorello
New User
Thanks for the post on the lemon law. I followed the procedure and had to send certified letters to the State and Ford indicating that my vehicle should be considered a lemon based on the time. I got an email from my Ford customer service rep that they were closing my file and their legal department would be handling it. Legal called me and basically said they are going to send an engineer to see the truck when its fixed and they are going to close my file too. I asked about the lemon law and she said she doesn't handle that and she is just responding to the defect notice I sent, that's it. Another dead end. The truck is still at the dealer, spoke to the tech. He said there was a hairline crack in block and that's what caused it. Ford sent the short block and did not send any of the needed gaskets so we are waiting again. I have been asking for them to take the truck back or replace but no one gives a *****. I also asked the tech why not a long block and he said Ford said no, he wanted to go that route as well. Anyone know a lemon law attorney? I'm in South East Florida. All the ones I see on line look like 1-800- Scam a Lawyer.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 PM
amorello
New User
Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 PM
ToUtahNow
Senior User
We had a Ford Expedition that jost lost power on a road trip and had to be towed 100 miles to a dealership. After several days of confusion they finally figured out the transmission burned out. For whatever reason they could not get the transmission to separate from the engine. They ended up pulling the engine and trans out of my wife's new Expedition (10,000 miles).I got the regional rep involved and told him he turned the car into a rolling chassis and we did not buy it for that to happen. After several days he agreed to add 10,000 miles to the warranty and sell us a100,000 mile esp warranty at cost. After 150,000 miles we traded it in but never had another problem with it.

Mark

Old 03-28-2017, 06:42 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Amorello, I don't have any advice to offer in terms of help. Just wanted to thank you for posting the great pics. I don't think I've seen a 2017 apart like this yet; very interesting. It sounds like a very bad deal.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Deuce3301
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The dealer is taking mine apart this week. Needs a new bed pan and front cover. Only 3200 miles on truck. I hope nothing is wrong with the block.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlights lying on the shop floor.
I don't like that work space.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ricohman
Headlights lying on the shop floor.
I don't like that work space.
I noticed the expensive LED headlights lying on the floor too. Since they are sitting with the connector-side down, in reality nothing is being harmed...but these could easily be wrapped up or even stored in the cab.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,022 Posts
or put in the bed of the truck, which is what I would do with some of stuff to keep it out of the way.

Quick Reply: 2017 Platinum needs new engine?????