New 2017 F350 - Now need a WDH

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM
rbrockman
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 2017 F350 - Now need a WDH

Decided to get into RVing as our next adventure. One of the first things I noted is that everyone said "you can't have too much tow vehicle". I was originally going to get a new F150 but kept hearing about overloaded 1/2 tons and just didn't want to compromise on safety. I have on order a new 2017 F350 6.7L which should do the job.

Now on to the WDH. When I was looking at the F150's I was completely sold on picking up a ProPride 3P hitch. No question it was the best tool for the job. Now that there is a 1-ton TV in the picture I'm not so sure, so would like some feedback from some of you season veterans.

While I still understand the ProPride offers improved sway control over a conventional WDH, I feel that some of this advantage is offset by the larger TV. The ProPride is heavy, adds more to the length of the towing combo, and some say is more difficult to hitch up to.

I'm considering something like the Blue Ox SwayPro instead of the ProPride for towing the trailer below.

Trailer: ~9000# weight, 1300# tongue weight, 31 foot long.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the best tool (WDH) for the job.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:55 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I run the Hensley Arrow, the Pro Pride predecessor hitch that works the same way. In my opinion, after using traditional WD setups vs the HA I feel that the HA (and I would assume the Pro Pride also) is actually easier to hitch up and prepare for towing.
Just like never having too much tow vehicle, you really can't have too much hitch. If the PP still fits into the budget, I would go with it as the best available option.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My TV is an 05 FX4 crewcab. I ran a standard WD with friction bar for my 8k RV. Although it was set up great. I just switched to a propride. There is a huge difference and we'll worth the money. I will never go back to a standard WD for an RV again. Took me awhile to get it set up. But the experience behind the wheel is way different. Best of luck in whichever you choose. Now that I have towed with both. On the same truck. Hands down no question which one is supreme.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 PM
rbrockman
New User
rockertom - Is your '05 crewcab a 150/250/350?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrockman
rockertom - Is your '05 crewcab a 150/250/350?
​​​​​​​250. I posted the pulled the trigger on the propride a couple of threads down. I put up pics.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Decided to get into RVing as our next adventure. One of the first things I noted is that everyone said "you can't have too much tow vehicle". I was originally going to get a new F150 but kept hearing about overloaded 1/2 tons and just didn't want to compromise on safety. I have on order a new 2017 F350 6.7L which should do the job.

Now on to the WDH. When I was looking at the F150's I was completely sold on picking up a ProPride 3P hitch. No question it was the best tool for the job. Now that there is a 1-ton TV in the picture I'm not so sure, so would like some feedback from some of you season veterans.

While I still understand the ProPride offers improved sway control over a conventional WDH, I feel that some of this advantage is offset by the larger TV. The ProPride is heavy, adds more to the length of the towing combo, and some say is more difficult to hitch up to.

I'm considering something like the Blue Ox SwayPro instead of the ProPride for towing the trailer below.

The hitch on my truck is rated for 17,000 lbs. weight and 2,550 lbs. tongue weight, which is below my trucks cargo capacity.
It also has electronic sway control.
I don't use any weight distribution hitch.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:12 AM
oxt127
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i Have the older version of the Reese Dual Cam set up and I am very pleased with it. Put on about 3,000 miles last summer and felt very at ease going down the interstate and back roads. Plus I picked it up hardly used on CL for 125

Old 02-27-2017, 10:53 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I have a 2015 F350 CCLB 4x4 with a trailer the same size/weight as yours. I did a ton of research when we ordered our trailer and decided on the ProPride and have been happy and safe and have never looked back. Worth every penny for the safety of my family.
Best of luck with your decision. Oh, and enjoy your new truck!
Pat

Old 02-27-2017, 11:42 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I've towed with SD's since their existence in 1998. I've towed some big ol heavy toy haulers too. At most all you would need for your set up is a simple WDH, like this Curt for $208:https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17057.html

Old 02-28-2017, 09:38 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

... I have on order a new 2017 F350 6.7L which should do the job.

This is not a recommendation, but you may not need a WDH, as the 2017 diesel SRW F350's weight-carrying specs are impressive: 18K lbs. maximum trailer weight, and 1,800 lbs. tongue weight.

Here's a link to Ford's 2017 Towing Guide; more research may be warranted.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 AM
oxt127
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer
This is not a recommendation, but you may not need a WDH, as the 2017 diesel SRW F350's weight-carrying specs are impressive: 18K lbs. maximum trailer weight, and 1,800 lbs. tongue weight.

Here's a link to Ford's 2017 Towing Guide; more research may be warranted.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

while this may be true my personal thought is, that would be great for an open equipment trailer but for box trailers and campers the best sway protection is integrated into the weight distribution hitches. Also from experience in driving my travel trailer just short distances without using my weight bars attached the overall ride quality in the truck is a lot better when the weight distribution hitches used

Old 02-28-2017, 10:56 AM
rbrockman
New User
Thank you for all of your input into this topic. While weight distribution is not my primary objective, sway control is - especially in the event of accident avoidance or any other "unplanned event".

What I'm hearing is that with the ProPride, the hitch-up/unhook process isn't more difficult or time consuming than with traditional WDH's. If that is the case I so no reason to not go with the more effective sway control of the ProPride.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by oxt127
while this may be true my personal thought is, that would be great for an open equipment trailer but for box trailers and campers the best sway protection is integrated into the weight distribution hitches. Also from experience in driving my travel trailer just short distances without using my weight bars attached the overall ride quality in the truck is a lot better when the weight distribution hitches used

I have to disagree. The best sway protection is integrated into proper loading. I have never seen a properly loaded travel trailer suffer from sway. Additionally, these trucks are equipped with sensors that will detect sway and counteract it.
I have towed my boats and my travel trailers thousands of miles with no issues. I've been in storms that I thought might roll me over, but the solution there is - get off the road. No sway bar is going to compensate for that.
If folks want to use anti-sway devices on their travel trailers, that's their prerogative. However, I feel the tendency is to look to these anti-sway devices to compensate for poor weight management, which is a dangerous thing to do.
Finally, if you are driving a truck with a hitch, drawbar, and suspension that is not rated to carry the tongue weight of your travel trailer, your ride cannot be compared to a truck that is rated for it.

@rbrockman - there are anti sway devices that do not rely on heavy weight distribution hitches to operate. As an example, etrailer sells a friction sway control device for $34.00 - http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...Fc-6wAodrycIIg

Old 02-28-2017, 01:50 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by oxt127
Understood. However, the 2017 SD's (don't know about earlier years) include Roll Stability Control (RSC) with integrated trailer sway control. It'll be interesting to see how this works!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 02-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Americal_Vet
Junior User
While on the subject.....

Last week, I took delivery of my F350 SRW, but I have yet to hook up to my travel trailer. My last truck was an '09 F150 FX4 with max tow, and I used a WD hitch to keep it all level.

For those that have hitched up, I was wondering if it "squatted" the back of the truck any? I'm thinking I may have to get a new shank with some drop in it in order to tow level. Any feed back is appreciated.

Quick Reply: New 2017 F350 - Now need a WDH