1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flathead A/C Compressor Bracket Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Flathead A/C Compressor Bracket Options

Well I thought I was going to be able to mount my Sanden compressor on the right side of my engine. However, the belt will rub on the lower radiator hose. I really need to put it higher up where the distributor is to get the belt to clear the hose. This would be using a longer fan belt.

So my options are the left side or where the generator goes like most of the aftermarket A/C companies make. I'll be fabbing up my own mount either way.

Anybody have any pics of A/C compressors mounted anywhere besides the common generator bracket mounted ones?

A double water pump or triple crank pulley would open up some options if they exist.

I may be able to make a notched water tube to clear the belt or mount an idler to push it away from the hose. Seems like a lot of trouble to try to keep my generator in the stock location though.

It's already been over 80 degrees here so summer is not too far off.

Seems like the easiest thing for me to do would be to make a mount for the compressor and a FORD alternator and mount it in the stock generator location. Offset water outlets would also be needed. I have all the parts on hand except water outlets. I just don't like the way it looks there.

Anybody got any other ideas? I already roasted through two hot summers and don't want to do it for a third.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Are you going to run a PS pump too? Electric fan? You might consider doing the "Chev 409 water pump mod". It replaces the two individual water pumps with one from a Chev V8. You can use the belt for your current fan for the new WP (with a tensioner). That gives you more flexibility for the alternator and A/C.

Here's how a local guy did it all on his flatty...the A/C is on the passenger side, not shown, but similar. Something to keep in mind is that compressors and alternators both draw a lot more power than stock stuff. The belts need good wraps on their pulleys and anything would be an improvement over the stock tensioning setup.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Ross. The only thing I want to run is the A/C compressor. Stock fan works fine and no power steering needed.

I'll probably just run it up top but, I'm going to look at that 409 water pump swap too. (Looked and it's too much work and too much $ but pretty cool.)

Maybe I'll just stick a generator in the bed and an RV A/C unit on top of the cab!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:49 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3
Maybe I'll just stick a generator in the bed and an RV A/C unit on top of the cab!
I don't think you've got the stones! I'd go through the back window, though. It would be a shame to cut the sheet metal!

Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Back window? Hmmmm. Maybe a reefer unit from a big rig trailer!

My next attempt is going to be making a bracket for the left head similar to the generator brackets for earlier engines. Replace three head bolts with studs to mount it. I should be able to get my belt clear of the lower hose this way.

I could even move the generator to the left head and put compressor up top.

I'll post up what ever I end up doing. I hate dead end threads.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Scotty,
Take a look at the Vintage Air brackets on this page of their catalog:

http://www.vintageair.com/2016%20Cat...talog%2069.pdf

So-Cal Arizona in Phoenix is a distributor for Vintage Air products and they have experience with the products. Talk to Dave or Brian. I've done business with So-Cal Arizona for years even before they were associated with So-Cal. Their website is here:

SO-CAL Speed Shop AZ

I bought the Vintage Air Front Runner for my 427 Small Block Windsor crate motor. I have yet to install it though.

Philip

Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Phillip,
I have seen some awesome belt kits but, I'm trying to avoid looking like a street rod. I'm kind of caving in to my desire to leave it as stock as possible by adding A/C.

I like the look of an old Flathead and thought I could kind of hide the compressor at least a little bit. Not going to happen.

Plus I'm a cheap *** so I'm going to fab something up. If I end up mounting it on the left head I can leave the generator in the stock location. If I end up needing an alternator it won't be hard to put everything up top on one bracket.

So...........it seems my cheap *** way is why I'm asking for ideas. I'm guessing that most people that do decide to run A/C on a Flatty go with a kit of some sort.

As always, I appreciate all feedback.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic

Trying to avoid this IF possible. But, I'll do it if I have to.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:06 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The only alternative I can see is mounting it on the left head where you mentioned and driving it with the fan belt. Here's a pic I found. It's even in a '51 F-1! I personally don't think it looks terrible. It looks like he's running power steering too with the pump mounted in place of the fan.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
That is one clean and well done Flatty there. That confirms the left head as a good location.

I've seen the power steering pump there before which is a pretty slick idea. First time I've seen a Quadrajet on one though.

That has to be the most modern looking Flathead I've ever seen. Not the look I'm going for, definitely not in my budget but man what a great job.

I think the heads made the difference. Tied the modern parts all together instead of looking old with new bolted on.

Thanks for that picture! I'm saving it.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
That VintageAir bracket #172008 looks great but it sure is pricey at $279. It is a pretty simple design and if you have access to a CNC plasma cutter it would seem a lot less expensive making it from 3/16" steel. Here is a video of a Torchmate cutting out the brackets for my P/S pump from 3/16" steel.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Are you going to run a PS pump too? Electric fan? You might consider doing the "Chev 409 water pump mod". It replaces the two individual water pumps with one from a Chev V8. You can use the belt for your current fan for the new WP (with a tensioner). That gives you more flexibility for the alternator and A/C.

Here's how a local guy did it all on his flatty...the A/C is on the passenger side, not shown, but similar. Something to keep in mind is that compressors and alternators both draw a lot more power than stock stuff. The belts need good wraps on their pulleys and anything would be an improvement over the stock tensioning setup.

A Divco with a flatty? Is that Kenny Campbell's?

Old 02-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Pete, I have to hand hold my plasma cutter. I'll get it done though.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Flat Ernie
A Divco with a flatty? Is that Kenny Campbell's?
Yep! There can't be that many of them in the world!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:56 PM
F-1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Divco..dear to my heart..my Dad drove this thing for Dugan's Bakery..anyone remember Dugan's..door to door bread and cake sales..raised me and my brother and sister and paid off his mortgage 30+ years later..Loved going with him when off from school to help..Both of us standing up in that Divco handling his route..won a trip to Miami in the 50's for him and Mom best sales reward!! Still have a pic of the 2 of them standing on the Tarmac at Kennedy Airport about to step up onto the stairs that led to that American Airlines prop plane..Would love to get my hands on a Divco (if I could afford it)..I'd settle for a model replica..lol
RIP Mom & Dad
Thanks for sharing this..brings back great memories for me.

Quick Reply: Flathead A/C Compressor Bracket Options