2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Agricover LOMAX tonneau review

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Agricover LOMAX tonneau review

I finally got my Agri-cover LOMAX installed and wanted to post a few pics and a review in case anyone is looking for tonneau covers. I wanted a tonneau that was very low profile and more waterproof than some other ones that I had experience with. I came across the Agri-cover LOMAX and liked the looks of it and thought I would give it a try. So far I really like it.

Install:
Install was very quick and easy. You line up the mounting rails and clamp them down. Very easy to do and the only adjustment is tilt up or down to adjust how tightly the seal is compressed on the sides of the bed. Only tool needed is a 1/2 inch wrench. I have actually had it completely uninstalled from my truck to get Line-X sprayed in and was able to get the rails and cover on in roughly 15 minutes.

Cover Usage/Removal/Installation:
The cover itself, folds into thirds. Your operating options are completely closed, 2/3 open, or off. If you need part of your bed open, you fold it back twice covering 1/3 of the forward side of the bed, and then use two small bungees (attached to the cover) to latch it in place. When you need to remove the cover itself for big items in your bed, it is as simple as folding it up and sliding the cover backwards an inch or so to disengage, the front latch. It can easily be done by yourself. The only caveat to removing it yourself with no help, is just the size. It is not very heavy so no issues lifting it at all. It is just bulky but then again it is a cover for a full size truck so its quite wide. I usually ask one of my kids to come help me and we just get on either side and walk it off.

Water:
As I stated above, the cover actually goes over the rails and there are no real seams for water to come in through. One problem I ran into in the past with tri fold covers was water leaking bewteen the transition from the rubber folding seam to the cover panels which are typically foam skinned with thin metal. Since this is just three pieces of aluminum, there is no transition. At this point, the only water I have had come in was from the gaps in the tailgate. I have to say that with the cover on, and me inside (looking for external light coming in), I was very surprised about the number and size of gaps in the bed and tailgate. I know some are for drains, but wow there are a ton. I now have a tailgate seal from Agri-cover and will see how that keeps the water out. With the seal kit, those gaps at the around the side of the tailgate are now gone.

Overall:
It is extremely low profile and since it is actually over the rails, it is quite waterproof. There is not a mounting rail that overlaps the bed rails, and then a cover that is inside the rails, the LOWMAX cover is actually over the bed rails. The only thing the mounting rails are for is to give the latches something to grab. It does not have a lock on it as it can not be opened without opening the tailgate, but for me that is a plus as I do not want to carry an extra key. The front 1/3 cannot be opened on its own which may be a downside for some, but if it could then it would require a key which I do not want.

So far I am very pleased with it and love the look.

Pics to come shortly.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Texmudder
More Turbo

Profile shot showing the Ford bed rail cover and exactly how low profile the LOWMAX is.

Inside the bed before Line-X. You can see the mounting clamps and rails.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM
MJ7R77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that is amazing -- What is the locking mechanism when the tailgate is locked and how do you flip 1/3 of it back? How is the pricing compared to the Bakflip?

Old 02-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Texmudder
More Turbo
From Agri the MSRP is $917.15.

The only way to open it is by opening the tailgate. Once the tailgate is open, there is a cord you have to pull in order to get it open. You can not drive it or lock it with 1/3 open. you must be at 2/3 open to drive as that is where it locks. I will get some pics of it open in a few hours.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Looking at BakFlip their MSRP seems to range between 799.88 and 999.88 depending on the external covering. I am not a fan of the vinyl look so that helped in my decision making as well.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Locking latch after you open the tailgate.
Opened up and ready to drive.
Side profile of it opened.
Latches to secure when open (note I was too lazy to latch the other side for a photo).

Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 PM
MJ7R77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow -- That is really sweet....Thanks for taking the time to explain and send the pictures...

Old 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for this awesome review!

Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a nice cover, I bought the BakFlip and love it.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 AM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great review. I appreciate the effort you put into posting it.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:25 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you close the tail gate without lifting up the cover? Bakflip requires you to open up the tonneau to close the tailgate.

I don't like this.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Yes it is made so that you close the cover and then close the tailgate.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
After our first 12 hour long thunderstorm, I am happy to say this sucker is waterproof. No standing water inside it at all.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Texmudder
Yes it is made so that you close the cover and then close the tailgate.
Do you have to open the tailgate in order to open the tonneau cover?

Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Originally Posted by PwerStroke99
Do you have to open the tailgate in order to open the tonneau cover?
Yes and that is what I wanted. My truck is push to start so I never touch keys anymore. I did not want something that required a key.

Quick Reply: Agricover LOMAX tonneau review