1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM
sandman2102
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google that carb and try to get info on where every thing should be hooked up. Hoses blocked off says the PO did not have a clue.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:21 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
Nice catch on the choke Brian.
OP, the plugged nipple on the front of the carb is supposed to go to a PCV valve. And I would introduce the PCV system to this engine. The vacuum line at the front of the carb is supposed to go to the vacuum advance on the Dizzy (distributor). Now it's trailing back to prolly a vacuum tube going to an A/T. Which would be wrong and the A/T won't shift normal. So now there prolly isn't any vacuum supply going to the Dizzy's vacuum advance. Which it needs. The plugged nipple on the side of the carb is for a bowl vent for later model emissions vehicles. I personally would put a better looking plug on it. The hose next to the bowl vent plug is to supply filtered air to the electric choke. Eddy electric chokes need 12V to run to them. And I wouldn't use the "S" terminal on the solenoid. That only has power to it when the key is in the "S"tart position. Find another 12V supply wire that has power when the ignition key is in the "run" position. 2X on a complete tune up.
Now once you get the choke squared away, a vacuum hose to the Dizzy, the complete tune up, and a working PCV system, then adjust the carb correctly. PO prolly adjusted or jetted the thing too rich to make up for no choke. It may need different metering rods and jets. 351ClevelandC4 is our resident "Man About Town" when it comes to Eddy carbs.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:42 PM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like the PO didn't know what those little plastic caps were for either. Hoses and bolts-lol- I don't know why it has vacuum leaks.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Nice catch on the choke Brian.
OP, the plugged nipple on the front of the carb is supposed to go to a PCV valve. And I would introduce the PCV system to this engine. The vacuum line at the front of the carb is supposed to go to the vacuum advance on the Dizzy (distributor). Now it's trailing back to prolly a vacuum tube going to an A/T. Which would be wrong and the A/T won't shift normal. So now there prolly isn't any vacuum supply going to the Dizzy's vacuum advance. Which it needs. The plugged nipple on the side of the carb is for a bowl vent for later model emissions vehicles. I personally would put a better looking plug on it. The hose next to the bowl vent plug is to supply filtered air to the electric choke. Eddy electric chokes need 12V to run to them. And I wouldn't use the "S" terminal on the solenoid. That only has power to it when the key is in the "S"tart position. Find another 12V supply wire that has power when the ignition key is in the "run" position. 2X on a complete tune up.
Now once you get the choke squared away, a vacuum hose to the Dizzy, the complete tune up, and a working PCV system, then adjust the carb correctly. PO prolly adjusted or jetted the thing too rich to make up for no choke. It may need different metering rods and jets. 351ClevelandC4 is our resident "Man About Town" when it comes to Eddy carbs.
I have the electric choke connected and working. Do you recommend a PCV setup?

Old 02-01-2017, 03:12 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Hwklein88
I have the electric choke connected and working. Do you recommend a PCV setup?
IMHO, yes I do. That carb might be dialed in internally with a PCV system working in mind. And this way you are certain the crankcase fumes and pressure is vented. That pressure can cause oil leaks. Which is why Ford used "downdraft tubes" before the invention of the PCV systems.
I would put a oil cap with a PCV and grommet in the left valve cover. Short thick wall hose meant to carry gas and oil to the carb. Then make sure the cap in the right side valve cover is a clean breathable type. Or run a hose from the air cleaner to a cap,grommet, and elbow in that right side valve cover.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Classicdriver
Senior User
Originally Posted by Classicdriver
Also it looks like you have breathers on the valve cover, so I would make sure the front hole that is plugged on your carb goes to a PCV valve in the other valve cover so that you're venting that crankcase somehow.

Dan

So did this message even show up the first time or no??

Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
IMHO, yes I do. That carb might be dialed in internally with a PCV system working in mind. And this way you are certain the crankcase fumes and pressure is vented. That pressure can cause oil leaks. Which is why Ford used "downdraft tubes" before the invention of the PCV systems.
I would put a oil cap with a PCV and grommet in the left valve cover. Short thick wall hose meant to carry gas and oil to the carb. Then make sure the cap in the right side valve cover is a clean breathable type. Or run a hose from the air cleaner to a cap,grommet, and elbow in that right side valve cover.
Just looked at running my PCV to the passenger side intake... I have this hooked up.. appears to just be a plug.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:27 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
That should be the PCV, on the passenger side valve cover, and not a plug. If you pull on that hose it should pull the PCV out from the valve cover. I sent you a PM (Private Message).

Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like a hack mechanic owned it. A couple bucks will buy a whole assortment of vacuum plugs, the hose and bolt is a gomer fix, as is tying the choke open. I wouldn't just leave that big vent tube open, maybe a length of hose with a little filter element in the end. And you definitely need a pcv system, unless you are just running the old road draft tube and venting the crankcase into the atmosphere.
I'm not sure on the AFB but on a Holley 12 volt choke, they open way too fast and also start opening as soon as you begin cranking. I always use the S terminal and pretty sure it doesn't get power until the alternator is charging. Seems like it's around 9 volts, been a while since I messed with one.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Looks like a hack mechanic owned it. A couple bucks will buy a whole assortment of vacuum plugs, the hose and bolt is a gomer fix, as is tying the choke open. I wouldn't just leave that big vent tube open, maybe a length of hose with a little filter element in the end. And you definitely need a pcv system, unless you are just running the old road draft tube and venting the crankcase into the atmosphere.
I'm not sure on the AFB but on a Holley 12 volt choke, they open way too fast and also start opening as soon as you begin cranking. I always use the S terminal and pretty sure it doesn't get power until the alternator is charging. Seems like it's around 9 volts, been a while since I messed with one.
so that tube coming from the rear of the carb into the intake is just a vent being ran into the intake .where can I run that tub once I run this to the pcv valve?

Old 02-07-2017, 04:31 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
This may help:

Old 02-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Originally Posted by GaryKip
This may help:
that those help but I only have one other breather and that's on the drivers side. That diagram looks like there are two on the passenger side.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hwklein88 IIRC this is where your PCV valve will go.

Normally they have a right angle fitting. Your oil filler cap will need to be replaced with a cap that will accept a grommet and your air cleaner may already have a knock out for a breather in its base.

I hope this helps

Old 02-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
Hwklein88 IIRC this is where your PCV valve will go.

Normally they have a right angle fitting. Your oil filler cap will need to be replaced with a cap that will accept a grommet and your air cleaner may already have a knock out for a breather in its base.

I hope this helps
So I understand to run the pcv valve to the passenger intake. Check.
So the hose that is currently running to the passenger intake where should i run that hose to? And no my air cleaner doesn't have a knock out

Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thoughts were backwards. This is a drawing that is very clear. But you will need a different / more original air cleaner.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue