1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Big Blue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Brandon - I will probably go with a factory air cleaner long term. You know my thoughts about that. However, I don't think I have the right filter element for the larger unit that came on the truck, so I'd have to pull the 2bbl version off of Rusty and put it on BB. And, that's actually my plan for when I sell Rusty as I think he'll sell better that way and I don't want to let the factory cleaner go. But, it might take more time to do that and I'm looking for quick hits for today.

David - I like Proverbs 16:27a.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
On the other hand, I've come to the realization that it is a short-term lease. And, with all the projects I have stored up I'd better get BUSY!
I am coming to that same realization... people just want to be warm & comfortable and spend their time on things that interest them... work provides money which can make your life comfortable while you pursue those interests... focusing on work as the Prime Directive is the wrong way to look at it.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
It is amazing how much more clearly focused one becomes as one ages/matures!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I am coming to that same realization... people just want to be warm & comfortable and spend their time on things that interest them... work provides money which can make your life comfortable while you pursue those interests... focusing on work as the Prime Directive is the wrong way to look at it.
... unless you're lucky enough to have your work be something that interests you.

I'm pretty much there, but a guy I work with really expressed it well. He's a manufacturing engineer who designs and builds automated assembly equipment for our Production Department. When someone asked what his hobbies were he said "This!" And seriously, he built a 3D printer at home from scratch. He does the same thing at work, but he doesn't need to pay for the parts and he even gets paid for his time!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Mid-Day Report

The heater core has been replaced, the driver's side mirror has been replaced, the passenger's door has been adjusted, as have the power steering belts. However, one is still somewhat loose so they must not be a matched set, although I don't think that'll be a problem. Also, I checked the oil level - it is right on the Full mark and doesn't have any gasoline smell.

As for having your work be your hobby, I've never been convinced that is a good thing. But then, I never had that opportunity. Oh well, I like retirement and it is filled with hobbies and little work.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
It has been a productive day, Gary!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Coffee Break Update

Originally Posted by 1986F150six
It has been a productive day, Gary!
Yup! And it isn't over.

Janey and I are sitting on the back porch drinking coffee/tea and I'm checking the list. I'll add more verbiage later, but have the spare tire out and the exhaust relocated. And, the license tag has been installed - I drove it yesterday without one.

Headed back out to check out the lights, get the anti-freeze fog off the windows, etc......

Old 01-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
....As for having your work be your hobby, I've never been convinced that is a good thing. But then, I never had that opportunity. Oh well, I like retirement and it is filled with hobbies and little work.
I know I don't want my hobbies being my job. When I'm on a timeline for a while my hobbies (cars/trucks and bird dogs) get to be no fun. It's OK to have a short-term timeline to get something specific done, but for instance when I was jamming for the last 2 months to get my Bronco ready for it's first 'wheeling trip it quit being fun.

But having a job that you enjoy going to is really sweet! I still like taking vacations, and working on other things outside of work. But I want my vacations and outside interests to be dessert and snacks, not the main course. So I really can't see retiring any time soon.

And for perspective, I'm only 53, so it's not like I'll need to retire soon. But I have friends who have really worked to be able to retire at 55. I'm not saying at all that that wasn't the right thing for them to do. But I'm thinking more like 70 right now (we'll see if I still think that in 12 years!)

Old 01-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup! And it isn't over.
to getting it running and legal!

Did you kidnap a bunch of Santa's elves to get all these little things done? You're really banging this out!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Here's what I got done and what is left for tomorrow:
[X] Replace heater core: Used Brownie's as there doesn't appear to be a new one in the parts pile
[X] Install license tag!
[X] Check timing as it is kicking back when hot: Was at about 8 and reset to 6. Still kicks back, but it may be the size of wire running to the starter or the connections.
[X] Tighten driver's side mirror or replace it: Replaced it as the original one won't swivel. But, the original one is soaking in PB Blaster so it'll go back on if it frees up.
[X] Clean windows: Still need to get whatever is on the center of the windshield off, but the anti-freeze film came off.
[X] Check brake fluid: Full enough, but rusty looking
[X] Check out the stereo. Any bluetooth input? Tried it but it didn't come on.
[X] Move spare to the bed as the exhaust is against it
[X] See if there's any way to get clearance on the exhaust @ rear spring & headers @ driver's side engine mount: The exhaust was caught between the helper spring and the main spring pack, and has a pinch to show for it. By moving the spare I was able to pull the exhaust away from the spring with a ratchet strap, and stopped with it not quite into the hitch. And then I did a ghetto job of tying it up and to the left.
[X] Check & replace turn signal and brake lights, inside and out
[X] Tighten power steering belts
[X] Check oil level & smell it for gas: Right on the Full mark and no gas smell
[X] Adjust passenger's door - it rattles
[ ] Check tire pressures, inc spare
[ ] Wire up light on aftermarket gauges & tach: The white wire dangling by the e-brake is for the tach's light. I'll need to dig further to get to the wires for the aftermarket gauges, so will skip that this time.
[ ] Re-attach the rear view mirror
[ ] Check axle, transmission, and transfer case lubes
[ ] Aim headlights
[ ] Wash & wax it: Did some prelim cleaning of the paint today. I really like the color combo!
And, here are a few pics to show that I did something. First, here's a shot I forgot to post yesterday. This is the accelerator pump's piston skirt, and obviously the pump wasn't working at all.

And, here's a blurry shot of the old heater core, its replacement, and proof that someone had been in there before. (Chris - This truck originally came from CO. Any chance that it was owned by whomever owned your first one? ) Note that the heater core has been leaking for some time.

And, here's a comparison of the two heater cores. The aluminum one sure is lighter.

And, here are a couple of pics of the exhaust system. But, lest you think I'm taking shots at Vernon, he was very disappointed in the job the guy did on the exhaust. So, he's going to understand.

Anyway once I got the spare tire out, which had been in contact with the exhaust for a long time, I discovered that the exhaust was caught between the springs and has dents where the arrows are to prove it. In fact, it took a pry bar to get it out. But, with the tire gone I was able to move the exhaust left a ways and got about 1/2" clearance between it and the spring.

And, here's the ghetto engineering. It'll serve until I figure out what I'm going to do to the exhaust system. The arrow shows a hanger I installed since both of the hangers installed by the ..... "mechanic" were broken. And then there are the tarp straps. They pull the exhaust left far enough to get the 1/2" clearance to the spring, but still leaving 1/2" clearance to the hitch.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
No elves, just a tired old man. But here's a shot of the hood half-cleaned of the mold or whatever was growing on it. Now you see why I want to wash and wax it?

Also, note the cowl. What's different?

Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If the heater is leaking just run a fat bead of rtv to keep the coolant in the box?
It's an interesting solution!

These 460's are supposed to run 10* btdc static timing stock.
Not sure why you have an issue.
DSII modules came with timing retard while cranking for a reason.
Have you confirmed tdc #1?

Some headunits need to be put in pairing mode to be found.
Do you have the instructions or know the model?

Bricknose cowls do a better job of keeping leaves out but pine needles somehow seem unstoppable.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:37 PM
armashby
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gary, Save the heater core for the tanks. I replaced three alum. cores in four months, NAPA exchanged them with no problem. The rubber seals would leak. Radiator shop could not get new copper unit complete but cores are easy to get. Had to get old one from pick apart for the tanks. Has worker with no problem for three years.
Rodger

Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Jim - Yes, that's a unique solution. And, in a way it worked as there was a puddle of coolant in the bottom of the HVAC box. But, it didn't stop the "fog" from coating the windshield.

It is running a Motorcraft blue-grommeted DS-II unit, but the ignition wiring has been hacked so I don't yet know if the cranking signal is going to it in order to retard it. But, when things settle down I'll figure that out as it may resolve the kick-back problem. And, I've not confirmed that the balancer is correct, but need to do that - thanks for the reminder.

As for the head unit, it didn't even come on, so I didn't get to try to pair to it. And I don't yet have the owner's manual for it, but will go find it when I get a few more things sorted.

Armashby - Thanks, I'll save it.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Mid-Day Report for Friday

Took a spin to the parts store to get the rear-view mirror glue and discovered that the choke comes off a bit early. It starts perfectly when cold, and idles fine then. But about 2 blocks from the house it didn't want to idle. But, when it warmed up a bit it idled fine. Guess I'll give the e-choke a slight twist.

Got the rear-view mirror installed, re-attached the right-side latch to the tool box, checked all the lubes, checked tire pressures, and upgraded the sun visors to the later ones with latches to keep them from drooping.

Quick Reply: Big Blue