Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Am I headed in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:57 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Am I headed in the right direction?

Sorry. It's another my truck won't start thread. Tried it over the weekend and it was in the mid 20's to low 30's. My truck has the push button mod and I held the button in for about 5 seconds and it cranked and cranked but never fired. The next day it was around 45 or so degrees. Same thing. I gave it a shot of ether and off it went. Ran fine. I let it run for about 15 minutes and shut it off. Went back about 20 minutes later and I was right back to square one. I tried it today and still nothing. Today was in the mid 50's which I thought it should be able to start without the GP. With it firing with a shot of ether, I'm assuming this is a glow plug or push button issue. Am I on the right track? If it were air intrusion wouldn't it have died after it burned the ether? I know y'all are tired of the "my truck won't start" threads bit I know little to nothing about diesels so y'all please bare with me. Thanks

Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Jarkill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like glow plugs aren't working. You tried plugging in the block warmer for a couple hours?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:51 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Didn't think of that but I will try it. Thanks. I plan to check the button and the glow plugs by the steps outlined in the sticky when I get time.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:56 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts
5 seconds is not enough time for the glow plugs.
over 30 degrees or so allow 10 seconds glow plug time. under 30 degrees 15 seconds.
under 0 degrees 20 seconds.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
More info. I tested resistance on the front four glow plugs and they all had .8 and .9 ohms. Then I unplugged the front two wires and checked voltage between the wire and battery ground with my wife pressing the button and both showed 12.xx volts. I started running out of light and decided to try it again with ether. A small squirt and it ran long enough to burn the ether. Another small squirt and of it went and continued to run. I did hear the relay clicking when the button was pressed and having 12 volts at the connector I'm assuming that means the relay is good. The only thing that really puzzled me was the switch only had 8 volts from the fuse box and only 8 volts with the button pressed.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
5 seconds is not enough time for the glow plugs.
over 30 degrees or so allow 10 seconds glow plug time. under 30 degrees 15 seconds.
under 0 degrees 20 seconds.
What he said! That's the first thing that jumped out at me. 5 seconds might start a cold engine in 70* weather.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
I tried to crank again this time with the button pushed about 15 seconds in the mid 60's and still no dice. Shouldn't 15 seconds at 63 or so degrees be enough? I'm going to finish checking plugs and connectors when I get back home.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the push button bypasses the controller right? Also, why do I only have 8 volts at the button? Is that all the relay needs? I have a very vague understanding of electricity.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:26 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Yes absolutely, 15 seconds should light it up at 63* easily.

There are other variables as well, like cranking speed and IP tolerances. Start with crank speed then glow plug issues.
The easy way to know it's cranking fast enough is that you can't count the revolutions when cranking. It should be that fast.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:38 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
I did try that as well, read it here somewhere, and no I couldn't count the revs so I'm assuming the battery's and starter are not my issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:27 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
it is very possible that the truck has autocrap or chumpion glow plugs in it and they are burned out.
what year truck? 83 to 87 old style controller uses motorcraft ZD-1 plugs. 87 to 94 new style controller uses motorcraft ZD-9 plugs. you can get the proper motorcraft plugs from rock auto for around $9.50 each.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
It's an 86. I tested resistance on the front 4 and got .8 and .9 ohms so I'm guessing these are good. Would 1 or 2 bad glow plugs cause cranking problems?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:26 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
It's an 86. I tested resistance on the front 4 and got .8 and .9 ohms so I'm guessing these are good. Would 1 or 2 bad glow plugs cause cranking problems?

Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
So my father in law looked things over with me this afternoon and he seems to think it's the silenoid in the injector pump sticking. He knows more about diesels then I do so I value his opinion but I also value the opinions here. Just curious as to what y'all think. He suggested pouring in some good diesel conditioner and take a can of ether with me and drive it and see if it gets better.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
remove the fuel filter. fill it with ATF and put it back on. start the engine and let it run for 20-30 seconds then shut it off. let it sit for at least 24 hours. the ATF will clean out any sticking parts in the injector pump and injectors. after it sits, fire it up and run it like you stole it.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tjc transport
remove the fuel filter. fill it with ATF and put it back on. start the engine and let it run for 20-30 seconds then shut it off. let it sit for at least 24 hours. the ATF will clean out any sticking parts in the injector pump and injectors. after it sits, fire it up and run it like you stole it.
Ok. I'm assuming I'll have to bleed the fuel system after I take the filter loose. On a tractor you crack the injectors and turn it over until fuel comes out then tighten the injectors. I'm assuming it's the same in these trucks? As long as they have the mechanical pump anyway?

Quick Reply: Am I headed in the right direction?