2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anyone noticed moonroof or other interior leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Patrick Fancy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone noticed moonroof or other interior leaks?

Hey guys, had my truck for two months, and within a few weeks I started to notice a musty smell in the cab. I've got a 17 CC 250 short bed with lariat ultimate. I immediately checked for leaks along the moonroof and did not find any wet spots, and don't see any staining. The smell has not gone away, and actually grown a bit stronger. I do believe it is the smell of mold or mildew, almost like I left a pile of wet towels in the truck for a few weeks. I am approaching 5000 miles, and was going to have the dealer check it out when I send it in for an oil change. Just thought I'd check to see if any of you noticed this smell, or had any trouble with leaks?

Old 01-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could it be your floor mats? If you're in an area with a lot of snow or with a lot of rain your floor mats are getting wet. Just a thought.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:41 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
From what I understand, the moon roof secondary drains from the inside pillars near the front windshield,...don't quote me on this, what happened to me was one of my clearance light caps on my 2011 f250 was missing and water was running down the passenger pillar when raining. Maybe a drain is plugged up?

Maybe this might help.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:41 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No leaks here and it rains a lot. Are you sure its not the AC or something was spilled in the cab?

Old 01-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/C will sometimes have a musty/dirt smell if you leave it on Recirc as opposed to running it in "outside air". Especially if you turn if off for awhile and then turn it back on.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Patrick Fancy
Freshman User
I am in south eastern Virginia. My f150 never had an issue, and the first few years were spent in Michigan with it. Nothing spilled as far as I know. And I can smell it as soon as I open the door to get in. I'll have to give the pillars a thorough check in the am, and get up close to carpets just in case I missed something (don't think it is the carpet).

Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 385 Likes on 215 Posts
Check the 3rd brake light too.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:54 AM
KPFlyz
Cross-Country
My clearances lights were leaking.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 AM
43davel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KPCorp
My clearances lights were leaking.
What did you need to do to correct the leak, tighten or silicone?

I don't have leaks, just wondered.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 AM
KPFlyz
Cross-Country
Tightening did not work. Silicone bead solved the problem. In my opinion, no way these won't seal water out.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Left my rear doors open on mine as I drove thru the car wash, not a drop came in. The running boards open when the doors open and they are independent, so if I get out on the drivers side only the drivers side running boards open. To wash them I opened the 2 rear doors just enough to open the running boards and I washed them at the DYI bug wash lane, got to talking to someone about the news SD and then forgetting to close the doors I drove thru the car wash. Pulled over as soon as I got out of car wash and inspected, not a drop, not a wet area anywhere...

Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine has been washed twice, once for dealer prep. The second time, after my first big trip, in a touch less car wash. Huge amounts of water jets from top, sides, front and back. Undercarriage too on the way in. I had the sunshade open all the way to see what hapened. No leaks that I could detect, so far so good. My 2005 had a sunroof and it had four drains in each corner. Never did get a leak or issue all the many times washed in 12 years. I have not looked to see but I am sure there are four corner drains on this one. Main thing you watch for is if your under trees and junk all the time, those drains must be cleaned by getting up there with the sunroof open and pulling out any pine needles, tree junk, if the low corner doesn't flow water away, the drip tray around the sunroof will over flow on an uneven surface. I had this happen on a Celica GTS long time ago, and on my old Toyota extra ab sunroof.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Left my rear doors open on mine as I drove thru the car wash, not a drop came in. The running boards open when the doors open and they are independent, so if I get out on the drivers side only the drivers side running boards open. To wash them I opened the 2 rear doors just enough to open the running boards and I washed them at the DYI bug wash lane, got to talking to someone about the news SD and then forgetting to close the doors I drove thru the car wash. Pulled over as soon as I got out of car wash and inspected, not a drop, not a wet area anywhere...
Don, did you know that you can lower the running boards with a menu in the dashboard settings menu? I always set the running boards to OUT position just before I enter the car wash.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Bread Truck
Freshman User
Also, if you put your foot on the running board and push down when you close the door they will stay open. I got this from the directions of the AMP steps I put on my previous truck. This feature is for safety, and cleaning/servicing the steps.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Chadmokc
Senior User
Originally Posted by KPCorp
Tightening did not work. Silicone bead solved the problem. In my opinion, no way these won't seal water out.

My 3 middle cab lights leaked and dealer replaced them about 1500 miles ago with no leaks afterwards.

Quick Reply: Anyone noticed moonroof or other interior leaks?