6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Early 04 hard start and skipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early 04 hard start and skipping

This is my first post to the forum so bear with me please. I bought my 04 6.0 from my parents a few years back and had it gone through as soon as I bought it. I got it studded, a new hpop, new oil cooler, 8 new Alliant injectors, and an sct livewire. A few months later my oil temp kept getting high and eventually it caused an injector to go out. Took it back to the guy who originally did the work and he warrantied it. He said the oil cooler got clogged up on the coolant side. Replaced an injector and the oil cooler and it ran for another couple months before doing the same thing again. Had the oil cooler and injector replaced again and it ran fine until the number 7 injector went out and I had to replace it myself since the guy who was doing the work on my truck decided to pack up his shop and leave basically overnight. When I got under the valve cover I noticed that the number 7 injector pigtail was different colors than the other injectors so I'm not sure what kind of work had been done to it after all, if he'd been mixing injectors or what, all I know is what he told me he had done. The truck currently has 157k on it. whenever I go to start it my injection oil pressure spikes to anywhere from 1600-1800 and the truck attempts to run but then the truck falls on it's face and the injection pressure will not get above 350-400 for about 10 to 20 seconds of cranking. Then the oil pressure hand on my dash moves and the injection pressure goes up again and the truck cranks. After the truck is running it has a miss that most of the time goes away as the truck warms up. Im starting to believe that maybe the hoop is going out again but I'm unsure. I'm a heavy diesel mechanic so the huei injection system isn't my forte, but I do have access to just about any tool needed. Any Help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First thing to do is figure out why this truck loves to eat oil coolers. Obviously if you went thru two in that short of a time span, the coolant system is filthy.
FYI for future reference, only Ford remans should be used for injectors.
That said, it's possible you have a good high pressure leak somewhere if it's going up like that and falling back down.
What are you using to read data live?
Any other figures you can give the forum?
Running a Motorcraft oil filter and cap?

Welcome to FTE!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:59 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
With the oil cooler history aside, what injector keeps failing, #5? is it the same one everytime?
It sounds like your oil rail is leaking down. There is a seal on the hpop that could leak also. If you park it down hill it should keep the oil system charged and will have an easier start.
I'd definitely do an air test paying close attention to the nipple cups and injector top o-ring. If it's the same injector getting taken out every time that pay extra close attention there too.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
First thing to do is figure out why this truck loves to eat oil coolers. Obviously if you went thru two in that short of a time span, the coolant system is filthy.
FYI for future reference, only Ford remans should be used for injectors.
That said, it's possible you have a good high pressure leak somewhere if it's going up like that and falling back down.
What are you using to read data live?
Any other figures you can give the forum?
Running a Motorcraft oil filter and cap?

Welcome to FTE!
The coolant system was filthy, I flushed the block out until it was as clean as I could get it then put a coolant filter on it. Haven't had a problem out of the oil temp since then. From what I've heard alliant is the company that produces the reman injectors for ford, but I may be wrong about that, nevertheless I've heard from countless places that they build the most reliable remans. I'm using the live data feature on my livewire to read injection oil pressure in psi among other parameters. I am running a motor craft filter and cap, and I can get you any figure that you ask for about the truck.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
With the oil cooler history aside, what injector keeps failing, #5? is it the same one everytime?
It sounds like your oil rail is leaking down. There is a seal on the hpop that could leak also. If you park it down hill it should keep the oil system charged and will have an easier start.
I'd definitely do an air test paying close attention to the nipple cups and injector top o-ring. If it's the same injector getting taken out every time that pay extra close attention there too.

I forgot to mention that I had to replace an injector myself a little while back after the guy that had done my work left town without telling anyone. Not sure which one it was the first two times but i replaced number 7 last time. I'll park it facing downhill tonight and see if that helps any. Any other info on performing an air test?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
Alright so I got the truck cranked this afternoon and have a video of it if you guys would want me to link it below. With the truck pointed down hill the icp stayed around 1800, but just turned over and over again, after a few attempts the dash oil pressure gauge moved to its normal operating position and the truck cranked.

http://youtu.be/u-ie8xwC9Kw

Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
So what your saying is the truck cranks regardless of where the LPO guage is sitting?
Is the upper filter bowl full of fuel?

You can try to unplug the ICP and start it but as 87 mentioned you might need to do an air test.
Unless you are not getting enough LPO to feed the HPOP. It strikes me odd your guage climbs after several attempts of cranking.

FYI be sure to keep the batteries up or you will kill the FICM

yes, post the video it might help

Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
So what your saying is the truck cranks regardless of where the LPO guage is sitting?
Is the upper filter bowl full of fuel?

You can try to unplug the ICP and start it but as 87 mentioned you might need to do an air test.
Unless you are not getting enough LPO to feed the HPOP. It strikes me odd your guage climbs after several attempts of cranking.

FYI be sure to keep the batteries up or you will kill the FICM

yes, post the video it might help
here's the link to the video

http://youtu.be/u-ie8xwC9Kw

when the low pressure oil guage moves, it cranks up. I was thinking that maybe I wasn't getting enough lpo, but I'm not sure how to test that

Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dash gauges are useless , remember you need ICP-530 psi ICPV- .85v to start , look at your ICP sensor for oil out the connection side and oil in the connection ,

Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
Originally Posted by 04badford
Dash gauges are useless , remember you need ICP-530 psi ICPV- .85v to start , look at your ICP sensor for oil out the connection side and oil in the connection ,
Right well in case you hadn't read the previous posts in this thread, I have been using the data streaming function on my sct livewire to monitor my HPO. The comment about the dash gauge was in reference to low pressure oil.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:00 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
And again Useless, the real reading come from the OBD port , so what's your sct live wire data saying for ICP and ICPV ? Any oil back there on the electrical connection or back of ICP sensor?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
Originally Posted by 04badford
And again Useless, the real reading come from the OBD port , so what's your sct live wire data saying for ICP and ICPV ? Any oil back there on the electrical connection or back of ICP sensor?
with the truck pointed downhill it held steady at 1800, look at the video I linked above, I'll link another one tomorrow when I go to crank it. Now to clear it up I am well aware that the in dash guage shows no real readings, I just find it coincidental that when it rises the truck cranks. I will check the icp connector tomorrow in the am and report back. Thank you for the help

Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
When you say the truck cranks after it rises on the gauge, do you mean it starts? As in we have fuel igniting?
It's cranking the the whole video, with some gawd awful noise of some kind coming from what sounds like injector pre clatter ready to self destruct, what is that? FYI don't cycle the glow plugs twice, your engine will thank you.

If you are saying the truck fires and runs once the LPO gauge rises then yes, that could mean something here, but we can't see that gauge in the video.
I'm sure there is a way to check the LPO pressure somehow........not sure how that is done.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Elijah Doub
New User
When you say the truck cranks after it rises on the gauge, do you mean it starts? As in we have fuel igniting?
It's cranking the the whole video, with some gawd awful noise of some kind coming from what sounds like injector pre clatter ready to self destruct, what is that? FYI don't cycle the glow plugs twice, your engine will thank you.

If you are saying the truck fires and runs once the LPO gauge rises then yes, that could mean something here, but we can't see that gauge in the video.
I'm sure there is a way to check the LPO pressure somehow........not sure how that is done.
that awful buzz is coming from what I think is a vacuum pump on the right fender, the only reason I cycled the glow plugs twice was because I had to to turn the key on to get the live data up before I started cranking it. Yes I mean the truck fires up and runs once the lpo guage moves. I have absolutely no idea why the audio is such garbage in the video but you can barely see the lpo guage in the bottom

Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Hmmm , not able to open the vid , the link is not high lighted .

Quick Reply: Early 04 hard start and skipping