2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Stealing a 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stealing a 2017?

Here in Texas, the previous generation super duties are stolen and broken into like hotcakes. I hear of no less than 6 stolen super duties a week, but never any dodges. It seems thieves really like the old super duty door handles... Im hoping that with the new handles and the fact that my king ranch has push button that it is a little more "theft proof". What do y'all say?

Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I lived in the north TX area just north of Dallas and have owed many super duty's and not one has been broken into. But I also lived in nice neighborhoods where the crime rates are really low or if any crimes happen. It just depends on where you live.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Strokin....North Texas vs. South Texas....BIG difference in relation to where the trucks get taken to after stealing. It is worth paying a friend 10 bucks to sit in your Superduty at Bass Pro vs. going in naked. Super is correct. I remember about 2 years ago...5 Superduties stolen from one movie theater/Bass Pro area in one day.....

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
I said just depends on where you live. There's places in Dallas/Ft worth area I wouldn't leave my truck alone for a second.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Super-Truck
Senior User
It would be hard to find a neighborhood nicer than mine... taxes are probably more than a thieves annual income. Unfortunately, I cant leave my truck in my neighborhood its whole life as I need it to drive places. I just want to know if i have to worry about it as much as i would with a previous generation.

And the bass pro Kenv speaks of is in a shopping center that is surrounded by some of the largest and nicest homes i have seen. Alot of very, very wealthy people live/ shop in that area.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Super-Truck
Senior User
As an example, my buddy has a 2015 KR and we went to academy about a year ago for a quick stop. Went straight to back of store to grab a cheap cooler and nothing else, back out to the truck in 10 minutes and the drivers door handle/door was raped. Didn't have anything in the truck so nothing was stolen, but they also broke the center console trying to get in. Alot of damage for nothing.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
The neighborhood might be nice but the surrounding areas might not be, but I'm sure if someone wants to get into your vehicle they will. There's really no stopping a thief unless you catch them in the act and you introduce them to a 9mm.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Getting back to the original question, I'd say yes indeed this new truck is more secure.

If nothing else, most have the new "advanced" security system with 4 ultrasonic interior sensors which will deal with interior intrusion even if doors remain closed, plus a tilt angle sensor which will deal with tow-aways. The new door handles may or may not be harder to break through.

The advanced alarm I think is standard Lariat + trims, but can be optioned for right down to XL trim.

Up where I live, stealing the whole truck would be rare...and interior rifling is more common...but drilling a hole and draining 48 gallons of diesel is probably the most appealing.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM
LCC
Mountain Pass
Sometimes it's better to leave the doors unlocked so they don't break everything to get into it, for nothing..

Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you worried about it getting broke into or stolen out right? Nothing you can do can prevent someone from breaking in to your car. If they want in bad enough they will get in, granted the new 17 SD has a better alarm system but that won't prevent someone from breaking in as much as it will prevent them from taking their time once they have broken in into your car.

Now if your concerned about someone taking your truck there are plenty of good aftermarket alarms that have kill switches and cut power to the starter to prevent someone from driving away in it. Incorporate that with a LoJack style system so they can track the truck and recover it before they have time to fully strip it.

I live across the street from Irvine Ca, who claims to be the safest city in all of the USA but you get 5 minutes away on the other end of town and you have crack town USA right next door. Crime is everywhere.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:36 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most thieves that live in crappy neighborhoods won't steal in their own neighborhood because there's usually nothing worth stealing. Most of the thieves in our area don't live here. They go shopping in areas with nice goodies not 20 year old Kias on the street.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Mainly just hoping that the new door handles makes these trucks less of a target than the older handles.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Have you felt the new door handles?? Feels like they will break off with a pretty firm twist. You would think Ford would design it a bit stronger.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:15 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
I was a police officer in So. Cal. for 33 yrs. "most" crooks are stupid and lazy, usually meth and or heroin addicts, that's why they are crooks and that's why they will do ANYTHING to get the money they need to feed their addiction. Like said above, if they want in your car/truck they will get in. They don't think about the door handles or locks, they just break a window, punch the ignition and off they go or they just tear your truck apart looking for goodies they can sell.

Our auto theft guys watched a crook case a car one night, he finally broke out the window and jumped in, the alarm was blarring like crazy but that didn't stop him. He had the car started and was moving in about 20 seconds ....... until they surrounded him.

I don't know if you can punch the ignition on one of the newer Ford trucks and start it like the older ones with a screw driver but if you can then you need to install a good ignition kill switch (cheapest) or contact your dealer or a reputable car alarm company that can supplement the stock alarm system.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
I know theyll get in if they want to, but thats your everyday car thief. Here in texas, theres a special "breed" should i say that only go after the super duties. I know its weird to think about from an outside view, but it is very well known around texas that if you have a super duty, it is a bold target. Of the many i have seen/heard of being stolen, no windows were broken, just a punched lock. I guess only time will tell if our 17s hold up like the dodges have.

Quick Reply: Stealing a 2017?