1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 hood rock/bug deflector

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F350 hood rock/bug deflector

So I'll start by saying that I am EXTREMELY excited to pick up my new-to-me truck tomorrow morning. I'm switching sub forums here, as my wife has taken the 2014 Expedition Limited over, and I'm stepping into a 2015 F350 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab diesel. Tuxedo Black/Black Leather. I'm am so pumped...

Anyway, I'm outfitting it with a hard folding tonneau cover as well as a hood deflector to help with rocks/chipping. On the hood deflector, I like the way the OEM ford one installed, it was just existing holes and plugs. No adhesive tape or hood clips required. I'd love to find one for the 350 hood that goes in the same way.

So far I've looked at the following:

Ford OEM - uses tape
AVS - uses tape and clips
EGR - uses clips and screws in factory holes (the leading candidate)
Lund - uses tape
Stampede - uses tape
Weathertech - some complaints over install quality/alignment so disregarded

So the EGR Aerowrap or SuperGuard are in the lead, as they at least are the only ones I can find that don't use any tape, but still have a clip on each side.

I'm looking for a nice countoured guard that is smoked. Any ideas on brands or models I should look at?

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
Even though you're against the 2 sided tape models, I'm on my second Aeroskin. Left the first one on the truck I traded because it was not coming off without damaging it.
I've also had the type that you mention that push into the existing holes in the hood. No problems with those either, but I wanted something that lays down as much as possible.
I've had good luck buying from realtruck.com and autoanything.com

Old 01-01-2017, 08:36 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks for the input. What about air disturbance caused by deflectors on the windshield washer jets in the middle of the hood? I read some deflectors can affect the fluid spray. How can you know?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:47 PM
CaptFX4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your new ride.

I went with the AVS Bugflector II on my 15 F350. I can't remember the install but it looks great. The wiper fluid works just fine when I use it. No dings or nicks in my hood. I would buy it again.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
FYI autoeverything currently has 20% off on the EGR's. Just ordered one myself for a 16 F250

I had a 92 F350 with an unknown brand guard on it and the wiper washers would not spray correctly onto the windshield at anything over 40mph.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:57 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks. It's between the EGR and WeatherTech after taking another look at them. Just can't decide if EGR if I would want the superguard or aerowrap models. It's hard to see the differences in the pictures.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by steveg_nh
Thanks for the input. What about air disturbance caused by deflectors on the windshield washer jets in the middle of the hood? I read some deflectors can affect the fluid spray. How can you know?
I've got no problems with Aeroskin. Which I guess I forgot to mention is made by Lund. Some shields will also make some noise with window vent visors also. Just another thing to consider if you have them or plan on getting them.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks. No plans for window vents, just thinking about the hood deflector. Picked the truck up yesterday and love it, but not sure of adding anything to that front end. It's nicely sealed with the rubber gasket now. Here's a pic and I like the clean lines. Just wish I could see some good real world pictures of various deflectors installed.

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Here are a couple of mine. Of course you can tell that the truck is being driven on Northeast roads.
It's unobtrusive and unnoticeable, which is what I like.

Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2017, 12:23 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks. So does that just stick on? Looks sleek. Was thinking of bit more height, vs a skin, but I really am just looking to protect the hood edge from chips from rocks. not really bugs.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by steveg_nh
Thanks. So does that just stick on? Looks sleek. Was thinking of bit more height, vs a skin, but I really am just looking to protect the hood edge from chips from rocks. not really bugs.
Yes, sticks on with strong 2 sided tape. It comes out of he box with the tape already applied to the deflector. Peel the other side and stick on the truck. If the hood is clean and not too cold, it shouldn't come off.
I let the last one go when I traded the truck because I didn't see any easy way it was coming off without damaging the deflector.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts

I dont know what brand I have, but it uses screws and nut plates...no obvious drilling.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Thought I would return with images of the EGR Superguard Hood Shield installed in case it helps someone in their buying decision. If you are looking for a very low profile guard this one is probably not for you. I wanted something that stood high enough to keep the bugs and rocks off the windshield. Time will tell how good it does this spring when the big bugs are in season.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:09 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
I couldn't decide on which model, but did decide on EGR. I talked to them about the SuperGuard and AeroWrap. They said they are very similar but the AeroWrap wasn't as wide. I ordered both since pictures of the units were limited. Seems like the same pics are used online for both products.

dirthawg, can you see it when sitting in the drivers seat, and could you post one pic straight on from the front of the truck?

Old 01-23-2017, 03:18 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
It's very visible from the drivers seat. The edges are visible maybe about 1 inch. The center section is like 3 or 4 inches.

I didnt' include a full on front view since it looks like all the others from that perspective. Didn't think about it being wider than other guards so here you go.

Quick Reply: F350 hood rock/bug deflector