Hello...Sister of a 1960 F100 Owner Sanity Check

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Marfa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello...Sister of a 1960 F100 Owner Sanity Check

Hello All,

My brother is the owner of our Grandfathers' 1960 F100 pickup, who was the only owner. Its in pretty good shape. Our Grandfather used it for his ranching and carpentry. One reason the bed is in good shape is he built a homemade camper shell to store all his tools at the job site. My brother inherited it in the 1980's.

The reason I'm posting is I'd like to buy him some of the parts he needs for retro fitting/frame swapping for Christmas. I'm wanting to buy the wiring harness, but wonder which one I need to purchase. Any help or advise is welcome.

He at the very beginning stages of updating it and he'll be hiring the work done. He is keeping the chassis and getting rid of the rest. The donor is a 2000 Expedition 5.4L V8. The reason is if he is to drive it anymore, he needs an automatic transmission, power steering/brakes, etc and the Expeditions engine and frame can carry the F100's chassis and have better gas mileage. About 20 yrs ago he had the exterior repainted and new upholstery. The paint job, done by the auto shop at the high school didn't hold up...

Marfa

As she currently is.

Cabs condition.

Back view.

Nice simple dashboard.

The donor.

Last edited by Marfa; 12-20-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,830 Posts
First welcome to FTE.
Wish I had a sister that would buy me parts for my project(s)

Expeditions engine and frame can carry the F100's chassis
FYI "frame" and "chassis" are the same thing.

With that said is the plan to remove the bodies from both frames and mount the F100 on the Exp frame?
or
Remove the drive train from both trucks and bolt the Exp on to the F100 frame?
Is the Exp a 4x4? Are the wheel base the same between the 2 trucks?

Either way you did say " he'll be hiring the work done" so I would say talk to the shop that will be doing the work to see what they say because you may buy parts the shop will not use.

If it was me I would look at mounting the F100 body on the Exp frame if the wheel base is the same. I am guessing the Exp has a computer that runs the EFI on the motor & the auto trany. In that case I would look into using the Exp computer & wiring.

If the WB will not work out may be use the motor & rear axle, pick up a 2 wheel drive auto to bolt to the motor and bolt them to the F100 frame.

As you can see there are many different ways to do this and after measuring and checking may find the Exp will not be the best to use for the swap.

Good luck and keep us posted on the project with pictures.
Dave ----

Old 12-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Marfa
New User
Dave,

Thank you for the info on frame/chassis. The Exp is 2 wheel drive, and your guess is correct it has a computer that runs the EFI on the motor & the auto trany.

He'll be mounting the F100 body on the Exp frame. The Exp wheel base is longer. From what he's been told it won't be an issue to shorten the Exp to fit the F100.

He's was told he would need a wiring harness for the Exp. The problem I've run into is Ford discontinued the main engine wiring harness for the Exp.

He's also found a site that can provide the wiring harness for the F100. He's running into difficulty finding someone to do the work as they have a full schedule or don't want to because it will take up space and time they need for other jobs.

Marfa

Old 12-21-2016, 05:35 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,830 Posts
I thought the last part would be the killer part of this project. Also if you did find someone do you know how much $$$$ it would take to do?
What he wants to do is why most of "US" do it as we could not swing the bill for someone else to do the work. Also most of "US" like to say "I did it" when someone asks "who did it".

When I do any project I do not get rid of any thing till the project is on the road for a bit. This way when building it and I find that what I planed will not work but maybe this part I pulled off will of make it easier.

I don't think you will find a wiring harness to join the 2 together. Also I don't know how the gauges are run in the Exp.? Some of the newer cars/trucks work thru the computer. The computer also needs feed back from the motor to run EFI.
I don't know if the Exp gauges could be made to mount in the trucks gauge pod and work as they should? But I would look into see if that is an option and use most of the Exp wiring to do the swap and vary little if any of the F100 wiring.

Also now that I/we know the F100 body to the Exp there are 3 different ways I see this could be done.

1- remove the bodies from both frames, shorten the Exp to the F100 wheelbase, weld on frame mounts for the cab/bed to bolt on to.

2- swap the Exp drive train in to the F100 but you said did not want to go that way. I also think it is a lot more work.

3- remove the bodies from both frames, shorten the Exp to the F100 wheelbase. Then bolt the Exp body back on and cut the floor and firewall from the outer shell.
You then cut the floor & firewall out of the F100 and move the shell to the frame/floor/firewall of the Exp and join them together.

See the link of what I am trying to explain here, he has many videos of this.

With any of this swap he would need to look over both and measure to see what will work the best.
I also want to say I have seen the early 60's truck use the CV frame and may be a better way to go. Sell off the Exp and buy a running CV for the swap.

Again to pay someone will be $$$$
Dave ----

Old 12-22-2016, 06:27 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's very nice of you to help him. But what you want to do isn't something very many shops do and as mentioned, it will be very expensive. Probably end up not finished and both you and the shop bailing out. This is the kind of thing a very advanced hobbiest does himself. It might be cheaper in the long run to buy some better parts and pay a lot less labor. Many people have done crown vic or M2 fronts, flipped and C notched the rear, added power disc brakes. I guess what I'm saying is don't try and re-invent the wheel if you are paying someone else to do the work.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:50 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
Do not buy him anything. Chances are good, you would get the wrong things. Give him money as he is going to need a lot of it with that project. BTW, that looks like a nice truck.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM
jonixon
New User
Sell the XP, restore the truck! Replace the trans with a C4, add power steering and brakes. It will cost less, have less down time, and be a lot more fun. If you lose interest, you can sell it to an enthusiast and not have to sell two mutilated autos to a salvage yard!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,654 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by jonixon
Sell the XP, restore the truck! Replace the trans with a C4, add power steering and brakes. It will cost less, have less down time, and be a lot more fun. If you lose interest, you can sell it to an enthusiast and not have to sell two mutilated autos to a salvage yard!
I agree 200%! If you change too many things then it isn't Grandpa's truck anymore!

Wish him good luck from us here at FTE and keep us posted with the progress.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 PM
SeaCarr
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, restore the '60 and sell the EP.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I Agree w/ the Last 3 Members Comments by a Googolplex.