2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Power running boards

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
Power running boards

Does anyone know if shutting off truck with the running boards in the down position draws power?

Old 12-19-2016, 11:42 AM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Does anyone know if shutting off truck with the running boards in the down position draws power?
I don't know for sure, but I doubt that it would draw power as there is an option to keep them down in the menu.

-ysgi

Old 12-19-2016, 11:50 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
thats what i was referring to, that option in the menu. Would be nice to do every now and then when shes parked in the rain to let them rinse off, and obviously when you wash it. Just curious in case i get lazy and dont put them up

Old 12-19-2016, 05:11 PM
jb-hunter
Junior User
The motor actuates to the down position then shuts off, so theory says no. It is not a spring loaded solenoid powered up to hold a position. Pretty sure it is a power down, power off then a power up and power off.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:08 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am considering a fully optioned Lariat or the KR in the 2017. One thing that is making me cautious is the deployable running boards. Can someone explain how they operate. If my kids get out of truck via rear door do they deploy or does a front door have to open.

I would prefer the extended running boards to allow easier access to the bed but that does not appear to be an option and to get them you have to delete the a lot of KR features, This is crazy. Would like any information on how these work. tks

Old 12-19-2016, 06:33 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
I love them so far
Either front or rear door actuates the boards
They open almost instant upon the door opening and drop all the way in about 1/2-1 second
I like them because they go down farther than the fixed boards, and tuck up out of the way to give a clean look when not being used
upon closing the door tthere is a 1-2 second delay and you can hear them retract
In settings you can enable or disable them, or choose to leave them down, which is good for cleaning, or if your going to be offroading and want to make sure they stay up out of harms way when you open the door

Old 12-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was quoted for the AMP step $1600 installed by a local shop. Ford uses AMP's pattens to produce their own and just pays them a royalty. I've heard that AMP uses better brackets compared to Fords but for the price difference I chose to go with Ford and now that covered under 8year/125k warranty as well.

Get the steps, you won't regret them.

On a side note the step will let you know if a door did not close all the way. My 11y/o closed the rear door but didn't fully latch shut and the step did not retract. I noticed the step was still deployed and it brought my attention to the door not being shut all the way. little added bonus of power running board.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:22 PM
jb-hunter
Junior User
Originally Posted by cecilt
I am considering a fully optioned Lariat or the KR in the 2017. One thing that is making me cautious is the deployable running boards. Can someone explain how they operate. If my kids get out of truck via rear door do they deploy or does a front door have to open.

I would prefer the extended running boards to allow easier access to the bed but that does not appear to be an option and to get them you have to delete the a lot of KR features, This is crazy. Would like any information on how these work. tks
I won't have another truck without them. Other than my 2013 F150 Platinum that was totaled, every truck I have had in last 20 years had "nerf" bars or factory nerf/steps. They are too high and too narrow. If you have a hand full of drinks, you can step on the power boards easily, turn around, set down and set drinks down.

My wife feels same, her Escalade has them, and she has slipped off the nerfs on my trucks before when covered with ice or mud.

Speaking of ice and mud, never had them stick on Caddy, F150 or this one.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Plowjocky
Junior User
I was very hesitant to have them but I have been very happy with them so far. Really appreciate the benefits as mentioned above. Living in the snow and cold was a concern also but no issues thus far. Would have them again without hesitation.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:14 PM
puckett_jw
Senior User
I have the AMP research one on mine, but I have the power wired to the 5th uplifter switch. I can turn the off with them up or down & they stay in the state that they were. Not sure if there is a way to do that on the factory ones, but if not, I would see about wiring the power to the uplifter switches if you have them.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:00 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Plowjocky
I was very hesitant to have them but I have been very happy with them so far. Really appreciate the benefits as mentioned above. Living in the snow and cold was a concern also but no issues thus far. Would have them again without hesitation.
We had to replace both sides the drivers side one winter and passengers side the next winter on my wife's 2012 Lincoln Navigator she would never let me take the truck down to my heated shop and thaw it out she liked the truck to much and would not drive my dually. That being said my new 450 will have them just going to make sure they get thawed out every now and then

Old 12-19-2016, 11:06 PM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
One of the dealerships I visited said that they recommend lowering the boards before running it through a car wash.
Because they get kind of filled with road grime even while up. My truck is 10 days old - has 600 miles and I can attest to this. I just wish the temps would flirt with 32 degrees so I could wash this beauty and the power running boards.

ysgi