1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about using 4X4 in the snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:46 AM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question about using 4X4 in the snow.

So I live in Southern California and have driven in the snow before but only with two wheel drive trucks. My current 2016 is a 4X4, I am taking the family on a trip to the mountains for some NYE snow fun. My question is when the roads go from snow covered to asphalt back to snow covered etc.. How should I handle this? Take it out of 4X4 when I enter the asphalt back to 4X4 on snow?
Sounds like a stupid question, but the senario is traveling say 30-40 and the roads are constantly changing what do you guys do? Don't want to do any damage driving in 4X4 on dry pavement in between areas of snow. Stopping every time to change doesn't sound like fun. I don't want to be crusing along in 2 wheel and suddenly hit snow and ice with no time to engage 4X4.
I know somebody is out there laughing, but us Socal people don't drive in snow that often.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:51 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Do you have manual hubs or ESOF type?

Old 12-19-2016, 10:59 AM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ESOF, Hubs.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:06 AM
mikereidjr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If i see a long stretch of road that is clear I will take it out of 4X4, but if it is nasty I leave it in.

I shift mine in and out under 55mph all the time.

I am sure someone will say I am wrong, but it has worked fine for me this way all these years.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:10 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
You can leave it in on the pavement, just don't try to turn in 4hi on dry pavement. Don't over-think this.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Dom165
Junior User
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to shift out of 4WD on dry pavement. If you have ESOF shifting out of 4WD will unlock the front hubs (if they are in auto) and disengage the transfer case. Shift back into 4WD in snow. I don't recall if there is a maximum speed at which you can shift into 4WD on the fly, but I would keep it at a slow to moderate speed when shifting into 4WD.

If you have manual hubs (or auto/manual hubs set to manual) you still want to shift out of 4WD which will only disengage the transfer case, the front hubs will stay locked unless you get out and unlock them each time. In this situation I would leave the hubs locked and shift into and out of 4WD as needed. Once you are completely clear of snow shift out of 4WD and then unlock the hubs.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:13 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Can't help you with the ESOF, there will be plenty of people here to lend advice on that. But with manual hubs I just lock them in then shift in and out of 4WD (hi range only) whenever I feel the need, at pretty much any speed.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:15 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Dom165
You want to shift out of 4WD on dry pavement. If you have ESOF shifting out of 4WD will unlock the front hubs (if they are in auto) and disengage the transfer case. Shift back into 4WD in snow. I don't recall if there is a maximum speed at which you can shift into 4WD on the fly, but I would keep it at a slow to moderate speed when shifting into 4WD.

If you have manual hubs (or auto/manual hubs set to manual) you still want to shift out of 4WD which will only disengage the transfer case, the front hubs will stay locked unless you get out and unlock them each time. In this situation I would leave the hubs locked and shift into and out of 4WD as needed. Once you are completely clear of snow shift out of 4WD and then unlock the hubs.

I hope this helps.
You can shift into 4hi at highway speed without issue.

To the OP, I probably wouldn't even be using 4 wheel drive in the situation you are describing unless it is heavy snow but that is an experienced winter driver speaking.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:15 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
Can't help you with the ESOF, there will be plenty of people here to lend advice on that. But with manual hubs I just lock them in then shift in and out of 4WD (hi range only) whenever I feel the need, at pretty much any speed.
With ESOF it is the same way, except you don't have to lock the hubs in ahead of time.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:22 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
With ESOF it is the same way, except you don't have to lock the hubs in ahead of time.
Good to know. Somehow none of the trucks I've ever owned had ESOF, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:08 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Its easier on the front drive train to "lock" the axles in with the road conditions your asking about. The outer axles will already be spinning when you engage 4WD. Less shock on things. Dont forget to unlock the hubs (put in auto) as the fuel mileage will decrease a little left locked.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:25 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
If you feel the need to manually lock your hubs, feel free but it is entirely not needed with a functioning ESOF system and will make no difference.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:44 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I would only put it in 4wd if you need it, not just because there's snow on the road. If the snow is deep or heavy and causing you to lose traction or just feels squirrelly, then by all means use the 4wd.

There are many times when I'm on a road that goes back and forth between bare pavement snd snow covered (mainly due to blowing snow). As long as I'm comfortable in 2wd, I leave it there.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
As has been stated, you probably don't need 4x4 just because there is a slight amount of snow on the otherwise cleared interstate.
Going 45 and hitting an ice patch on a curve - whether you are in 4x4 or not won't matter you'll probably loose control and skid either way. Just keep an eye on folks ahead for signs of trouble and remember you want to arrive alive.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:40 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
You can leave it in on the pavement, just don't try to turn in 4hi on dry pavement. Don't over-think this.
I think it is already being overthunk.

Steve

Quick Reply: Question about using 4X4 in the snow.