1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Does a crown vic suspension lower the ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Does a crown vic suspension lower the ride height?

I eventually want to get away from the front stock suspension but I am not looking to lower the truck. How does a crown vic sub frame affect the ride height?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:26 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I've seen, 3-4 inches. I've only driven one, didn't care for it much. It didn't feel like a truck any more. I just drive my 03 Gran Marquis when I want mooshy

Old 12-15-2016, 09:30 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,794 Posts
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
From what I've seen, 3-4 inches. I've only driven one, didn't care for it much. It didn't feel like a truck any more. I just drive my 03 Gran Marquis when I want mooshy
A higher spring rate would fox that.
What is the weight difference between car and truck with the CV swap?
Dave - - -

Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Thanks...I don't want to lower the truck because of all the trim and big camper special mirrors, just don't think it would look right. Also don't want a mushy ride, so I wonder if those Heidts kits would be worth the money and keep the stock ride height.

Shop By Application - HEIDTS

Old 12-15-2016, 09:56 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Curb weight of a 2003-up CV is 4,057 lbs. P71 (police interceptor) CV springs are rated for 710#. P73 and P74 (civilian models) CV front springs are rated for 440#.

If you don't want to lower the truck, a CV swap probably isn't for you. --Heidts front suspension will lower the truck as well, even without the drop spindles.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:29 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
A hiedts kit will lower it even more than the CV.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
So guess I have to keep the Twin I-Beam to keep the stock height. I'll put the money into an overdrive transmission to replace the C6. Just looking ahead, the paint isn't finished yet.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 12-15-2016, 11:25 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
So guess I have to keep the Twin I-Beam to keep the stock height. I'll put the money into an overdrive transmission to replace the C6. Just looking ahead, the paint is finished yet.

Thanks for all the info!
Nothing wrong with the twin I beam suspension when nothing is worn out. I was just talking to Randle about this the other day. I do believe he does have the Dream Beams, but he loves the way his rides. So does Tomahawk. He's ridden in Randles truck. The trick is Randle replaced all suspension and steering parts when he built his rig. Nothing is loose or worn.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
What's the difference with the Dream Beams? Only draw back I have to the Twin I-Beam setup is when the truck is going over 80 mph...kind of want to take the 460 to the salt flats, but not with Twin I-Beams. My front suspension is all good, but are there polyurethane bushing available. Maybe that and some fancy Fox shocks might help.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:38 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Polyurethane I-beam and radius arm bushings, a set of Moog CC808 progressive rate coil springs, new kingpins/bushings, new tie rods/steering linkage, a decent set of shocks and the addition of a '75-'79 front swaybar (if you have Dentside front discs/suspension) will make a big improvement to the stopping and handling of the truck with stock I-beams.

These are the things I installed on my '69 F100. It handles, rides and stops much better now.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my opinion and everybody's got one. But something about lowering the front spring rates of a "truck" really turns me off. Plus lowering the rear so that you can no longer even haul a few bags of concrete without damage?

Something tells me that the CV front end swap is only going to be a "fad" that fades over time. Or in return, makes all unmolested F100's that much more valuable in the future. At least the dream beams is easily reversible. Not much so the rear frame modifications though.

Heck, even the lug nut rate of a 5 on 4.5" limits the wheel load capacities available. I see absolutely nothing good with a CV swap unless I become unable to step into my truck as I age.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Polyurethane I-beam and radius arm bushings, a set of Moog CC808 progressive rate coil springs, new kingpins/bushings, new tie rods/steering linkage, a decent set of shocks and the addition of a '75-'79 front swaybar (if you have Dentside front discs/suspension) will make a big improvement to the stopping and handling of the truck with stock I-beams.

These are the things I installed on my '69 F100. It handles, rides and stops much better now.
That looks like the way to improve the handling and keep the ride height. Do the disc brake adapter kits work fine keeping my stock I-Beams or is it better to get the latter model ones?
Thanks!

Old 12-15-2016, 11:50 AM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear if you never want to look back, that having your kingpins bored and bushed with bronze is the ticket. There's complete kits for this.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
I'll look into that, but right now nothing is loose up front because the truck was completely rebuilt some time ago. Still it will probably help a lot to change over to polyurethane bushings.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:18 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
That looks like the way to improve the handling and keep the ride height. Do the disc brake adapter kits work fine keeping my stock I-Beams or is it better to get the latter model ones?
Thanks!
Personally, I prefer to swap out the entire front suspension --I-beams and radius arms. I have the complete discs/front suspension from a '77 F100 under my '69 F100. '75-'79 F100/F150 radius arms will be notched from the factory to accept the C-brackets for the '75-'79 factory front swaybar endlinks. The Bumpside radius arms have no provision for locating the brackets.

When you get into the 'bolt-on' front disc brake kits, you're going to end up with a mix of parts from other auto manufacturers. Fine if you don't mind that. I just prefer to keep it all Ford parts from one model year for simplicity of replacement when something does wears out.

This is the setup on my truck.

Quick Reply: Does a crown vic suspension lower the ride height?