Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hypertech power programming and towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:39 PM
fordf350lvr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 02' f350 Powerstroke that has the hypertech power programmer in it right now. I tow periodically a 5k pound travel trailer, now should i be worried about high egt's? I have read here that you should get a 4 inch exhaust to prevent overheating, but I'm not sure if its much of a problem with a lighter trailer like that. Please help! It's a hassle to have to unprogram the truck before i tow the trailer anywhere!

Jason

Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Foneguy
Senior User

do you have your guages (Pyro) installed? That should be your first move so you can monitor your EGT's... it was for me thanks to the wisdom of many here on FTE. Also don't the 01 and up models already have 4" exhaust? mine does and it's stock... from there you should only have to change the muffler to a free flowing or make it a straight pipe.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:04 PM
DIESEL_RACER
Freshman User

I'd recommend going with a pyrometer. The Hypertech uses a "mild" program, so EGTs usually aren't a problem, but you're stilll better safe than sorry.

If you upgrade to a 4" exhaust, you'll get a larger - 3.5" downpipe, and you'll notice a slight power increase, plus the turbo will spool-up a hair sooner.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Old 08-26-2003, 09:32 PM
fordf350lvr
Junior User

Don't have the money right now for a new exhaust, and I have to tow the trailer this weekend to go fishing. Would a straight pipe make it any safer? I know i need to get a pyro gauge, but that will come whenever i have the money handy! And how about the straight pipe sounds, would it be any louder in the cab? Thanks for the input.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The PPIII is not a very strong tuner, I doubt you'll encounter any egt problems with it.

Str8pipe is a bit louder in the cab, but not bad. It is quite a bit louder outside, but that's a good thing. It will also lower you egt's 50-100 degrees.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:27 AM
DIESEL_RACER
Freshman User

I'll agree - Straight piping is a little louder in the cab. It's also one of the best exhaust upgrades you can do short of getting a new system. Once you pull the old muffler off, you'll know what I mean.

Ken

Old 08-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Michael013
Senior User

I measured my 2002 F350 exhaust. At the turbo its about 3.25 and tapers down to about 3" for about 43" long to the first bolted together attachment. Then it enlarges to 3.63" to the muffler and then out. Looks like plenty of room for a 4" downpipe. I have a Hypertech III and thought it was pretty weak also.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:21 PM
DIESEL_RACER
Freshman User

I'd recommend against going with a 4"DP and stick with the 3.5" offered in most exhaust kits. Here's the way to decide what's right for you. If you're truck is stock, or you're going for around a 80hp increase, higher only once and a while (high setting on Programmer for racing) 3.5 is definetly the way to go. Also the way to go if you're towing up to 9,000k

If you go over the 80 + hp or over 10,000K towing on a regular basis go with a 4". Towing 10,000k, I mean towing heavy 3-5 times a month at least.

What will happen is with a stock or lightly modified truck the 4.0 will feel a little flat in stop and go traffic. The CFM output of the stock or mildy modded truck will not "fill the pipe" per say and will slow the spool up till the rpm's get happening, therby a smaller 3.5 inch pipe will "fill" quicker and provide a little better of idle performance. The inverse in true too of a heavily modded truck with a 3.5 inch pipe, the egt's will rise moderately, and the CFM produced by the extra burnt fuel could use the extra 1/2 inch of pipe dimension.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Old 08-28-2003, 04:44 AM
wwsjr
New User

I was looking into the Hypertec also. Called the number on the web site and they told me no mods were needed to use the programer. You can use any level of programing and be OK.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:01 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's because they're highest level is lower than the competition's lowest level. You can run the competition's 70HP or 60HP settings with no mods or you can run the Hypertech's 50HP with no mods.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:14 PM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Hypertech III and have had good results. I keep it on level III except when towing my fifth wheel (11-12K Llbs) long distances on vacation in the summer. Like it says in the paperwork, if the "check engine" light comes on and stays on then try a lower setting. I went to level II and had no problems the rest of the trip around the Rockies. With 5K on the bumper you should be able to keep it on III.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:17 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by Foneguy
Also don't the 01 and up models already have 4" exhaust? mine does and it's stock...
Ford doesn't put a 4" exhaust on their trucks. Either you are mistaken or you have an aftermarket exhaust system.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:23 AM
fordf350lvr
Junior User

Is there a way that i can cut the muffler off and straight pipe it, but also have the option to put the muffler back on if I dont like it or other people in this family dont like it... lol ... I'm just looking for a quick fix and a way to make it make those dodge boys pee in their panties! And what diameter pipe would i have to buy to do it myself, since my brother works for a toyota dealership i have access to all the goodies there! thanks for the help so far.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:11 AM
Foneguy
Senior User

Well that may be the case that the previous owner put on a 4" exhaust but just from looking under my truck and Physcally measuring the Pipe itself ... it all say's 4" as well as taking it to the dealership to talk to my buddie and asked him if her reccommended a muffler for my truck other than the stock one. He said I have a stock 4" with the stock muffler. I'm not gonna argue with you of my buddy at the dealership.... But I'm pretty sure it's stock. Noting from the condition it's in and the whole streatch of exhaust system under the truck appears to be in the same condition. Sooo yes there is a chance that it was changed but ..... Who know's (No complaints on my end )

Thanks for the input.
Your Resident Foneguy

Old 08-30-2003, 03:52 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User

I have a HYPERTECH PPIII tuner in my '01 PSD, auto, 2WD and have had it in for 50,000 miles. It has always been plenty for me and my 13,000 lb. 5th wheel. We took the trip out west and pulled some pretty good hills, slopes, mountains, etc. and had no problems whatsoever. The "Check engine" light did come on one time, but I attributed that to the altitude at the time (10,000 ft.). Absolutely no ill effect of performance. When we stopped for lunch, shut off the truck, enjoyed the view, and when starting out again the "Check engine" light did not come on again and hasn't since. I use the 50 hp version, no other mods. No add-on gauges. I leave the set-up in all the time, except for when it is serviced.

Bill in KY
LUV my PSD

Quick Reply: Hypertech power programming and towing