6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Battery brand reco

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:48 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by FullLoadOnBoard
This truck i'm considering buying has a weak battery - they've had to jump it both times i've test drove it. Guess an alternator check wouldn't be a bad idea.
They've offered to include a new battery in the deal.
What brand do you guys prefer?
I'm leery of Walmart's but maybe they've improved the last few years.
I thought Interstate was bulletproof but they might have slipped in quality from what i've read.
The well used 2003 F150 I bought a couple of years ago needed a battery and because it's only used in the summer and sites with the battery disconnected the rest of the time I put a Wal-Mart battery with a 1 year warranty in it for around $50.

It sounds like the dealer did nothing to the truck so plan on checking and changing a lot of the fluids. My F150 had 121K on it so I changed them all just so I new they were good, along with new brakes, idler pulleys, belt, fuel filter and a bunch of other maintenance things. I knew the pulleys were bad because I could hear them.

Denny

Old 12-11-2016, 01:58 PM
FullLoadOnBoard
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He said they had oil changed and added BG oil additive. If i buy it, first thing i'll do is dump that and get quality synthetic in it. I wouldn't tell a customer i put an additive to the oil.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FullLoadOnBoard
Well, it's a really sweet truck. Kind of a rare breed actually. I'm thinking with a new battery it could be tested for voltage draw while off and see if it's outside the norm.
If was just your run of the mill truck, i'd do like you and walk away. Like i said before, if it can't be solved i won't buy it.
my question is.. How are you going to solve it before you purchase it.?
dealer should be doing this.

my gut is not happy with this salesman... and I never met him.

Buyer Beware. regardless of truck. its the dealer that can bite you.

like i said... your money,
43 years as an auto mechanic.. I can rebuild anything except the frame.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:20 PM
FullLoadOnBoard
Freshman User
If i can't find a mech who can test it to my satisfaction i'll not buy it. Maybe i can't.
I moved to this backwater from Dallas years ago and you have to temper your expectations with these people. Ineptitude is the order of the day around here - not necessarily evil. They're honestly just lazy good ole boys who only do what they absolutely have to do - and change an obviously old battery before they're have to isn't high on their list.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
One of my best friends is the "battery man" for NAPA and all I use is NAPA Gold batteries. One good thing is ther are NAPA's everywhere if yoy need a replacement. NAPA batteries used to be junk but now are built by East Penn Manufacturing.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:01 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I would use a Red Top for a starting battery. Did you buy them from a dealer or off the internet, before I bought our last set I got on the internet and read their warranty and it states in red that if you buy one off the internet there is no warranty from Optima, you have to buy them from a authorized dealer. I think that somehow internet sales sites are getting hold of rejected batteries from the plant in Mexico.

Denny
This was several years ago, but yes off the internet...but from and authorized dealer..I think...it wasn't ebay.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:00 AM
zztinker
New User
Costco, has the best warranty.